[comp.sys.amiga.games] DM 1: Help on level 6

gh@geovision.uucp (George Hagilaris ) (01/23/91)

I need help on level 6(?) of DM (the first floor where you encounter those
big floating round monsters with the big eyeball).  I'm trying to get a key
that is in a room behind a gate.  I need the key to open the second of two
doors at the other end of the hallway.  I can't figure out how to keep the
gate open so that I can get the key.  The room has three pressure pads on the
floor, a pit, a green button on the wall, and a lever which turns a block of
blue (teleportation) haze on and off.  The room looks like this:

         __           [] - Pressure pad
   __   | k|          <> - Pit
  |[]B__|==|          == - Gate
  |<> ##   L          ## - Blue haze
  |[] []   |           B - location of green button
  |  +-----+           L - location of lever
  |--|                 k - location of key that I need.
  |  |

No matter what combination of movements, lever settings, etc. I try, I can't
seem to stop the gate from closing when I walk on the bottom-center pressure
pad (and I can't see anyway of getting around walking on it).  I need the
key for the second of two doors at the other end of the hallway (I already
had a key for the first door).

Thanks for any help.

George

camm@els.ee.man.ac.uk (Ian Camm) (01/25/91)

In article <1346@geovision.UUCP> gh@geovision.UUCP (George Hagilaris (Co-op)) writes:

>I need help on level 6(?) of DM (the first floor where you encounter those
>big floating round monsters with the big eyeball).  I'm trying to get a key
>that is in a room behind a gate.  I need the key to open the second of two
>doors at the other end of the hallway.  I can't figure out how to keep the
>gate open so that I can get the key.  The room has three pressure pads on the
>floor, a pit, a green button on the wall, and a lever which turns a block of
>blue (teleportation) haze on and off.  The room looks like this:
>

>         __           [] - Pressure pad
>   __   | k|          <> - Pit
>  |[]B__|==|          == - Gate
>  |<> ##   L          ## - Blue haze
>  |[] []   |           B - location of green button
>  |  +-----+           L - location of lever
>  |--|                 k - location of key that I need.
>  |  |

>No matter what combination of movements, lever settings, etc. I try, I can't
>seem to stop the gate from closing when I walk on the bottom-center pressure
>pad (and I can't see anyway of getting around walking on it).  I need the
>key for the second of two doors at the other end of the hallway (I already
>had a key for the first door).
>
>Thanks for any help.
>
>George

	Try placing something on the ground in the blue haze while standing
infront of the gate.

	I could, also,  do with some help on this level if at all possible.
There are three trouble spots for me. If I can sort out one of them out, the
others may sort them selves out.

	1) How do you get passed the 'Test Your Strength' message.

	2) The gate that is just alittle further on but has no apparent
	   key hole or switch.

    and 3) The key to the double doors just after the gate in 2.

If you can help with anyone of these three I would be greatful.

	I have actually made it down to the level that needs the (ir?) key
to enter, but can't find the key so I hope the answers to the above will
help.

Cheers,
     Ian
--
Ian Camm                           | JANET: camm@uk.ac.man.ee.els
Dept. of Electrical Engineering    | ARPA:  camm@els.ee.man.ac.uk

estdwha@warwick.ac.uk (CrisP) (01/25/91)

In article <1346@geovision.UUCP> gh@geovision.UUCP (George Hagilaris (Co-op)) writes:

[ Stuff deleted ]

>         __           [] - Pressure pad
>   __   | k|          <> - Pit
>  |[]B__|==|          == - Gate
>  |<> ##   L          ## - Blue haze
>  |[] []   |           B - location of green button
>  |  +-----+           L - location of lever
>  |--|                 k - location of key that I need.
>  |  |

[ More stuff delted ]

I don't beleve people are still asking how to do this!
What you do is you is place an object into the blue haze.

~ CrisP.

crisp@uk.ac.warwick.cs | estdwha@uk.ac.warwick.cu

johnu@syma.sussex.ac.uk (John E Upham) (01/25/91)

From article <1346@geovision.UUCP>, by gh@geovision.uucp (George Hagilaris ):

> I need help on level 6(?) of DM (the first floor where you encounter those
> big floating round monsters with the big eyeball).  I'm trying to get a key
> that is in a room behind a gate.  I need the key to open the second of two
> doors at the other end of the hallway.  I can't figure out how to keep the
> gate open so that I can get the key.  The room has three pressure pads on the
> floor, a pit, a green button on the wall, and a lever which turns a block of
> blue (teleportation) haze on and off.  The room looks like this:
>

>          __           [] - Pressure pad
>    __   | k|          <> - Pit
>   |[]B__|==|          == - Gate
>   |<> ##   L          ## - Blue haze
>   |[] []   |           B - location of green button
>   |  +-----+           L - location of lever
>   |--|                 k - location of key that I need.
>   |  |

> No matter what combination of movements, lever settings, etc. I try, I can't
> seem to stop the gate from closing when I walk on the bottom-center pressure
> pad (and I can't see anyway of getting around walking on it).  I need the
> key for the second of two doors at the other end of the hallway (I already
> had a key for the first door).
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> George

 This caused me a problem also. The solution is easy though....

1. Go and face the lever and operate it. The teleport will switch off.
2. Turn round 180 degs. Go one pace (only !) forwards.
3. Put (say) a club on the ground
4. Turn around and operate the lever, the gate will open.
5. Fetch the key.
6. walk into the teleport
7. recover item left on ground (club)
8. push green button
9  walk out of room shutting door behind you (always a good idea)

   Hey Presto !

   I'm quite pleased to have answered a DM1 query for once instead of
 asking questions all the time !

  You wait 'til you get to level 8. AS a tip get your preist levels up
  for level 8 as your gonna need them. Just do a few spells with no
  things around to bother you before you descend to the first really
  tricky level. And to think I got stuck in level 3 ! DM has to be one
  of the best games around.

              John Upham, (Chemical Physics Ph.D)

              University of Sussex, Brighton, UK.

              Email: kapn1%cluster.susx.ac.uk@uk.ac (BITnet)
                     kapn1@uk.ac.susx.cluster       (Janet)
                     johnu%syma.susx.ac.uk@uk.ac    (BITnet)
                     johnu@uk.ac.susx.syma          (Janet)
              Tel:   +44 273 680500 (eve)
              Tel:   +44 273 678332 (day)
              Fax:   +44 273 671966

  "I've counted them all out and I've counted them all back"
   Murray Walker (?) commentating on the restart at F1 WC, Spa, 1990

burnett@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Andy Burnett) (01/25/91)

In article <1991Jan24.195158.13605@warwick.ac.uk> estdwha@warwick.ac.uk (CrisP) writes:
>In article <1346@geovision.UUCP> gh@geovision.UUCP (George Hagilaris (Co-op)) writes:
>>
>[ Stuff deleted ]
>>
>>         __           [] - Pressure pad
>>   __   | k|          <> - Pit
>>  |[]B__|==|          == - Gate
>>  |<> ##   L          ## - Blue haze
>>  |[] []   |           B - location of green button
>>  |  +-----+           L - location of lever
>>  |--|                 k - location of key that I need.
>>  |  |

>[ More stuff delted ]
>
>I don't beleve people are still asking how to do this!
>What you do is you is place an object into the blue haze.

  Wrong ...

  Hit 'n' now to skip spoiler ...

     You have to stand facing the lever.  Switch the lever off and move
backwards with the back arrow key and you can hit the teleport field
before it shuts off.  You can then get to the key.

| &y Burnett   |  burnett@mentor.cc.purdue.edu|

seven@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (66167000) (01/26/91)

In article <1346@geovision.UUCP> gh@geovision.UUCP (George Hagilaris (Co-op)) writes:
>The room has three pressure pads on the
>floor, a pit, a green button on the wall, and a lever which turns a block of
>blue (teleportation) haze on and off.  The room looks like this:
>
>         __           [] - Pressure pad
>   __   | k|          <> - Pit
>  |[]B__|==|          == - Gate
>  |<> ##   L          ## - Blue haze
>  |[] []   |           B - location of green button
>  |  +-----+           L - location of lever
>  |--|                 k - location of key that I need.
>  |  |

Switch the lever L so that the haze comes on.  Turn around and *set* any object
down in the haze.  Don't throw it.  It'll disappear and the door will come
open.  You can go through the field and pick up what you sat down.

If you throw your object it'll just come flying out the other side.
Setting it down will make it stay on the pressure pad in the NW corner.

| seven@ucscb.ucsc.edu | "Here's a stinking sig for you!"                   |
| Saint Echo           | "When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro."   |

jcc@frog.UUCP (Jim Chagnon) (01/26/91)

In article <1991Jan24.195158.13605@warwick.ac.uk> estdwha@warwick.ac.uk (CrisP) writes:
>In article <1346@geovision.UUCP> gh@geovision.UUCP (George Hagilaris (Co-op)) writes:
->>
->[ Stuff deleted ]
->>
->>         __           [] - Pressure pad
->>   __   | k|          <> - Pit
->>  |[]B__|==|          == - Gate
->>  |<> ##   L          ## - Blue haze
->>  |[] []   |           B - location of green button
->>  |  +-----+           L - location of lever
->>  |--|                 k - location of key that I need.
->>  |  |
->>
->>

->I don't beleve people are still asking how to do this!
->What you do is you is place an object into the blue haze.

 Nope. Stand on first pad, throw item toward alcove and move right, fast.
 Blue haze is just so you can retrieve the thrown item.

jcc

Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Stewart Mckinnon) (01/27/91)

Nope. YOU'RE wrong, too. What you do is stand in front of the lever.
Make sure the teleporter is OFF. Place an object (sword) Morning Star
or whatever in the area that the teleport will encompass. Switch ON
the teleport. The object will be teleported around the corner into
the alcove with the pressure plate, and will close the pit. You can
now go and get the key. Turn off teleporter first!

--
Stewart Mckinnon - via FidoNet node 1:221/171
UUCP    : watmath!xenitec!zswamp!178.0!Stewart.Mckinnon

Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Stewart Mckinnon) (01/27/91)

The first 2 I can help you with. (1) Use your STROGEST and highest
level Ninja to throw an object down the hall. You may have to advance
a level of Ninja and you MIGHT try a Strength potion. Throw a Throwing
Star or a rock down the hall until you hear a click. Now go out and
down the hall parallel with the other one. The door you asked about
in question 2 should be now open. The location of the key in your
question 3 I'm not sure about. I'm FAIRLY sure that key will be on
this level...perhaps dropped by a Skeleton?

--

briang@sdd.hp.com (Brian Gragg) (01/29/91)

In article <6681.27A3B038@zswamp.fidonet.org> Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Stewart Mckinnon) writes:
>The first 2 I can help you with. (1) Use your STROGEST and highest
>level Ninja to throw an object down the hall. You may have to advance
>a level of Ninja and you MIGHT try a Strength potion. Throw a Throwing
>Star or a rock down the hall until you hear a click. Now go out and

I just used a bow and arrow.  Doesn't take much strenght to shoot and arrow
down the hall!!

  Brian Gragg    briang@sdd.hp.com   hp-sdd!briang  uunet!ucsd!hp-sdd!briang

daguru@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Da Guru) (01/29/91)

In article <6680.27A3B035@zswamp.fidonet.org> Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Stewart Mckinnon) writes:
>Nope. YOU'RE wrong, too. What you do is stand in front of the lever.
>Make sure the teleporter is OFF. Place an object (sword) Morning Star
>or whatever in the area that the teleport will encompass. Switch ON
>the teleport. The object will be teleported around the corner into
>the alcove with the pressure plate, and will close the pit. You can
>now go and get the key. Turn off teleporter first!

Geez, you still haven't got it right!  First, face the door as if
you were about to enter the room.  Push the button to close the
door and take a quick step forward.  The door will try to close,
but don't let it!  Wait AT LEAST 20 seconds before letting it
close, then hurry over to the teleporter lever.  After you turn
on the teleporter, turn around to face it.  Next, launch your
most powerful fireballs until you run out of mana, then jump in
the pit.  Be sure to turn off the teleporter, first!

The gate should be open, now, and you can retrieve the key.  If
you didn't do it fast enough, however, or didn't hold the door up
long enough, you'll have to do the whole thing all over again.

Well, best wishes, don't listen to bad advice, and have fun!

-Nick

johnu@syma.sussex.ac.uk (John E Upham) (01/29/91)

From article <1991Jan27.041216.10799@midway.uchicago.edu>, by arxt@quads.uchicago.edu (patrick  palmer):

> So far I've seen two postings saying "No, it isn't A its B" or "No, its
> C".  Hopefully this article will put an end to this silliness.  Maybe
> we can work on finding alternate solutions to some other problems?
>
> 	- Aidan Palmer

  I must admit I've noticed some pretty emphatic solutions to some DM
  problems saying only their solution is right. You are right of course,
   and many roads lead to Rome. I suspect DM2 has much greater variety.
 Do you know of the alternative ending to DM1 that involves going back
 to level 1with the firestaff and not bothering to flux the grey lord
on level 13.  Ive just completed level 9 last night and am contemplating
wether to get my stuff i left in level 8 and bring it all down wirh me
to 10. The thing is there are around 10 chests so far and all characters
go into the red as far as load is concerned. I guess i dont really need
the stuff and i can leave it on 8 for when i go up to 7 for the
firestaff.

From article <2056@m1.cs.man.ac.uk>, by camm@els.ee.man.ac.uk (Ian Camm):
(Co-op)) writes:

> 	I could, also,  do with some help on this level if at all possible.
> There are three trouble spots for me. If I can sort out one of them out, the
> others may sort them selves out.
>
> 	1) How do you get passed the 'Test Your Strength' message.

          See who is your strongest character. Get it throw something
          light. I put a throwing star in the right hand and chucked
          that. This operates a pad and opens a gate which one accessef
         from the other side. At the end of the corridor is abutton
         which opens a door allowing you back to get the bow, gem, coin
         from the first room.

> 	2) The gate that is just alittle further on but has no apparent
> 	   key hole or switch

           See above.

>     and 3) The key to the double doors just after the gate in 2.

      	 Ill have to look that up. cant remember offhand.

> If you can help with anyone of these three I would be greatful.
>
> 	I have actually made it down to the level that needs the (ir?) key
> to enter, but can't find the key so I hope the answers to the above will
> help.
  well level 7 is next but you need three more Ra keys apart from the
  one you already have (from level 3) inorder to get the firestaff. The
  next ra key is in level 9 with the bastard rats in it. You should
  be able to do 6 level fireballs by now. I have one double master
  wizard at level 9.

  See ya,

              John Upham, (Chemical Physics Ph.D)

              University of Sussex, Brighton, UK.

              Email: kapn1%cluster.susx.ac.uk@uk.ac (BITnet)
                     kapn1@uk.ac.susx.cluster       (Janet)
                     johnu%syma.susx.ac.uk@uk.ac    (BITnet)
                     johnu@uk.ac.susx.syma          (Janet)
              Tel:   +44 273 680500 (eve)
              Tel:   +44 273 678332 (day)
              Fax:   +44 273 671966

  "I've counted them all out and I've counted them all back"
   Murray Walker (?) commentating on the restart at F1 WC, Spa, 1990

Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Stewart Mckinnon) (01/30/91)

Well, I beg to differ with you my friend. I have been through Dungeon
Master about 15 times or so, and that method is the properly documented
one as posted by the Software authors! There are a couple of other
methods, which I have been told work also. The method you have described
doesn't even sound like the same game! Fireballs? Standing in the
doorway? WhatEVER are you talking about? Believe me, that is the easiest
and most direct way. Are you sure you're not talking about something
in CHAOS STRIKES BACK?

--
Stewart Mckinnon - via FidoNet node 1:221/171
UUCP    : watmath!xenitec!zswamp!178.0!Stewart.Mckinnon
Internet: Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org

Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Stewart Mckinnon) (01/30/91)

RE: Bringing all your stuff down from level 6 of Dungeon Master...yes,
good idea, but be sure you bring it down to Level 13 after you've
killed the Dragon and BEFORE you assemble the Firestaff (it's not
fully ready when you obtain it from the Firestaff Level - you need
something else) Once the Firestaff is assembled fully (I'm not giving
it away, here) the entrances and exits from Level 13 and 12 will seal
off! Just be sure you have enough food, but after you kill the Dragon,
you will have lots, anyway.