[comp.sys.amiga.games] Gauntlet II booting time

didi@nixdorf.de (Dietmar Adomeit) (01/25/91)

last week i bought a game called Gauntlet II.
It`s quite amazing to wander through some Dungeons and fight against
Monsters, Dragons and Ghosts especially in the two-player mode.
But... It takes about 9 (NINE!) minutes to boot the game, and this
drops all fun i could have with it.

Did anyone hear about a game taking so long to boot ?
(On the Amiga, NOT on the C64!)

--
Dietmar Adomeit           | Tel. (+49) 5251 146374
SNI AG, Dept. AP 553      |

withers@nitmoi.enet.dec.com (George A. Withers) (01/30/91)

In article <didi.664785287@ptun25>, didi@nixdorf.de (Dietmar Adomeit) writes:
|>last week i bought a game called Gauntlet II.
|>But... It takes about 9 (NINE!) minutes to boot the game, and this
|>drops all fun i could have with it.

I have an play Gauntlet II often and it takes about a minute and a half
to boot.  I get a dark screen going rather quickly into music and then
a few seconds on some intro screens.  Sounds like you have a problem
somewhere.

By the way, Gauntlet II acts exactly the same on an A500 w/ 1Mb and
my (new) A2000 w/ 1Mb (old fat agnus).

|>Dietmar Adomeit           | Tel. (+49) 5251 146374
|>SNI AG, Dept. AP 553      |
|>Paderborn                 | Email: adomeit.pad@nixdorf.com (America)
|>Germany                   |        adomeit.pad@sni.de  (elsewhere)

 George Withers, Jr.                      | "There is no life I know to compare
 Digital Equipment Corp., 1925 Andover St.|  with pure imagination.  Living
 Tewksbury, MA 01876  AT&T: 508.858.2173  |  there you'll be free .. if you
 Addr: withers@nitmoi.enet.dec.com        |  truly wish to be."  - W. Wonka
      DISCLAIMER: "Don't look at me!  I didn't do it!" (Krusty the Clown)

skwood@acsu.buffalo.edu (Scott K Wood) (01/30/91)

didi@nixdorf.de (Dietmar Adomeit) writes:

>last week i bought a game called Gauntlet II.
>It`s quite amazing to wander through some Dungeons and fight against
>Monsters, Dragons and Ghosts especially in the two-player mode.
>But... It takes about 9 (NINE!) minutes to boot the game, and this
>drops all fun i could have with it.

     I had the exact same problem booting th game on my old 500.  It
turned out that the internal drive in my 500 was slightly out of alignment.
Apparently, the copy protection on Gauntlet is VERY picky and if your
drive isn't "perfect" it tends to choke.  Whether this is the problem
with yours or not, I don't know, but after getting my drive fixed, the
game loads in about a minute or so.

                                            Scott

fac2@dayton.saic.com (Earle Ake) (01/31/91)

In article <didi.664785287@ptun25>, didi@nixdorf.de (Dietmar Adomeit) writes:

> last week i bought a game called Gauntlet II.
> It`s quite amazing to wander through some Dungeons and fight against
> Monsters, Dragons and Ghosts especially in the two-player mode.
> But... It takes about 9 (NINE!) minutes to boot the game, and this
> drops all fun i could have with it.

	I bet you have an Amiga 1000 with the Spirit board in it, right?  I had
the same problem.  I called the company who makes Gauntlet (can't remember the
name right now, Mindscape?) and they said that it wouldn't work with the
Spirit board but did not want to elaborate on it.  I took it back to the store
and got a refund.  No where on the box did it say it would not work with some
memory expansion devices!

Earle
Earle Ake   /___ /___/ / /     Science Applications International Corporation
           ____//   / / /__                 Dayton, Ohio
Internet: fac2@dayton.saic.com             uucp: dayvb!fac2