[comp.sys.amiga.games] Falcon on the 3000????

schur@isi.edu (Sean Schur) (01/30/91)

Has anyone been able to get Falcon or FalconMission or run properly on
a 3000. If I run either one under 1.3 from floppy disk the game boots
all the way to the takeoff/cockpit. However, at this point the keyboard seems
to be de-activated, no input is accepted, but the animation seems to be
running (MIG's fly by). If I run under 1.3 from hard drive, it gives the
opening title screen and music, then loads some more and just stops on
a black screen. The best I can do is booting FalconMission from the hard
drive under 2.0. The game boots and runs fine, until you hit <esc> to
pause the game or end the mission. Then the system slows WAAAYYY down,
the mouse pointer barely moves and you can't make any menu selections.
Within a minute the screen goes haywire and the machine crashes. So
I can play, but I'm not able to continue missions or get a score at all.

Has anyone been able to get it to run? I called Spectrum Holobyte, but the
guy I spoke to seemed like he had never been contacted by anyone who had
tried to run the games on a 3000.

Any help would be excepted.

			     \          /
			      \   \    /      /
Sean Schur		       \   \  /      /
				\   \/      /
USENET: schur@isi.edu		 \  /a\mpyr/
Compuserve: 70731,1102		  \/   \  / ideo
Plink: OSS259				\/

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (01/31/91)

[]
On my 3000 I have played all the way through falcon and falcon mission #1,
under 1.3.3 and 2.0X.
You MUST have version 1.2 of falcon and 1.1M of falcon mission #1, look
in the about box.  You MUST disable the data cache of the a3000, and
you SHOULD run from the CLI not the WorkBench.
Also make sure vbr is not in your startup-sequence, (it is a PD util
that interferes, there may be others that also interfere).

It may be that you have an old version of the game, believe me it works
fine on the A3000.

-Roger

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

In article <16557@venera.isi.edu> schur@venera.isi.edu (Sean Schur) writes:
>Has anyone been able to get Falcon or FalconMission or run properly on
>a 3000. If I run either one under 1.3 from floppy disk the game boots
>all the way to the takeoff/cockpit. However, at this point the keyboard seems
>to be de-activated, no input is accepted, but the animation seems to be
>running (MIG's fly by). If I run under 1.3 from hard drive, it gives the
>opening title screen and music, then loads some more and just stops on
>a black screen. The best I can do is booting FalconMission from the hard
>drive under 2.0. The game boots and runs fine, until you hit <esc> to
>pause the game or end the mission. Then the system slows WAAAYYY down,
>the mouse pointer barely moves and you can't make any menu selections.
>Within a minute the screen goes haywire and the machine crashes. So
>I can play, but I'm not able to continue missions or get a score at all.

	It does work (at least missiondisk2).  Missiondisk 1 used to work
under 2.0 (I think); it currently doesn't (black screen when you select "take
off").  It does work fine on an A3000 under 1.3 (just splashed two migs to
test it - I forgot how annoying Aim-9J's were).

	Make sure under 2.0 you aren't running any hotkey programs/blankers/
etc, and you aren't using an A2024 WB screen.

{uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!jesup, jesup@cbmvax.commodore.com  BIX: rjesup
The compiler runs
Like a swift-flowing river
I wait in silence.  (From "The Zen of Programming")  ;-)