[comp.sys.amiga.games] Wing Commander for the Amiga?

quinlan@spsd4330a.erim.org (Kevin Quinlan) (01/31/91)

	I was browsing through a local software store and stumbled across
a shoot em' up type game called Wing Commander. It sports 3-D bitmapped
graphics and stereo sound. Unfortunately it was for the (ugh!) IBM PC's
(provided you had VGA & a sound card & extra RAM,etc...). I thought to
myself that this would be awesome on an Amiga.

	Has anyone seen this for the Amiga or knows if an Amiga version
is being developed? If it is, I hope it's not just a lousy port of the
IBM version, which so many Amiga games appear to be....

Thanx in advance...

KQ
--
Kevin Quinlan
Research Engineer

liebm@silver.ucs.indiana.edu ([Mark Lieb] - <Mark Lieb>) (02/01/91)

In article <QUINLAN.91Jan30174517@spsd4330a.erim.org> quinlan@spsd4330a.erim.org (Kevin Quinlan) writes:

>	I was browsing through a local software store and stumbled across
>a shoot em' up type game called Wing Commander. It sports 3-D bitmapped
>graphics and stereo sound. Unfortunately it was for the (ugh!) IBM PC's
>(provided you had VGA & a sound card & extra RAM,etc...). I thought to
>myself that this would be awesome on an Amiga.
>
>--
>Kevin Quinlan
>Research Engineer
>Environmental Research Institute of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
>INTERNET: quinlan@spsd4330a.erim.org

I saw the game on a friends ZEOS system.  The game was great.  I have heard
that the game is coming out for the Amiga, and if it is anything like the
PC version, it will be a good game.  The graphics were decent, the game-play
was really nice.  Good animation sequences.  The training system for dog-
fights in outer space was great:  you start in a bar, and you can either talk
to vet. fighters, the barkeep, or there is a video-game version of Wing
Commander which lets you "play the [dog-fight part of the] game."

Good game.  Look for it!

mark
--
                     /\\         _  __  ___    /\\   \\ \  \    \        \
                    /  \\  |\/||  | |  //___  /  \\   \\ \  \    \        \

skipper@motaus.sps.mot.com (Skipper Smith) (02/02/91)

In article <QUINLAN.91Jan30174517@spsd4330a.erim.org> quinlan@spsd4330a.erim.org (Kevin Quinlan) writes:

>	I was browsing through a local software store and stumbled across
>a shoot em' up type game called Wing Commander. It sports 3-D bitmapped
>graphics and stereo sound. Unfortunately it was for the (ugh!) IBM PC's
>(provided you had VGA & a sound card & extra RAM,etc...). I thought to
>myself that this would be awesome on an Amiga.
>
>	Has anyone seen this for the Amiga or knows if an Amiga version
>is being developed? If it is, I hope it's not just a lousy port of the
>IBM version, which so many Amiga games appear to be....
>
>Thanx in advance...
>
>KQ
>--
>Kevin Quinlan
>Research Engineer
>Environmental Research Institute of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan
>INTERNET: quinlan@spsd4330a.erim.org

A friend of a close friend of mine is the person who wrote that game.  The
graphics were done on the Amiga, but everything else was done on the IBM
(and watching it played on his '486 was a pretty awesome sight- also fairly
unplayable because it was so fast).  He said that he would be more than happy
to get someone to port it to the Amiga if I could provide hime with 30,000
people who would BUY the game.  I would suggest writing him (or, rather, the
company that distributes the game) and telling him how much you would like to
own the game for your Amiga and have all your friends sign the letter, too.

--
Skipper Smith                             | skipper@motaus.sps.mot.com
Motorola Technical Training               | 8945 Guilford Rd  Ste 145