[comp.sys.amiga.games] Wizardry--Bane of the Cosmic Forge

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (01/26/91)

[]
I just got it too.  My guys are only lvl 5 and so, but I feel
it is a lot of fun.  The graphics are very low quality, I am
playing on a 25Mhz A3000 and it is a tad slow so....

All in all looks like a lot of fun, maybe better game than
Dungeon Master, but not 1/2 the pgm dungeon master is
technically.

-Roger

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

goldberg@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ross Goldberg) (01/30/91)

Well, I finally had some time to play this again the other night and
ended up hardly being able to stop.  Despite the lousy graphics, the
combat system is pretty nice once you get used to it, and the game is
definitely fun once your characters begin developing.  My chars are level
3 or 4 each now, and I have fully mapped out the downstairs level...I've
actually seen a little more than that, but was not mapping at first.  Mapping
is recommended.  Definitely a fun game!  Starting friday I will have plenty
of time to play again so then I can give a full review after the weekend.

Ross

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (01/31/91)

[]
All my guys are level 8, and I love the combat system and skill system,
but the game is a bit flat for me.  I have basically gotten nowhere.

a) How do I read all the "scrambled" text in the books, like the boot of
   RAMM etc etc
b) How do I get the location of the captains treasure
c) How do I get the guy in the upper door that runs away and locks himself
   behind a door to come out?

A good hint, find the bat belfry and swing on the bell to make
easy levels, bats are easy to kill and worth xp's.

goldberg@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ross Goldberg) (02/01/91)

In article <7310@crash.cts.com> uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) writes:
>A good hint, find the bat belfry and swing on the bell to make
>easy levels, bats are easy to kill and worth xp's.
>
>-Roger

yup....i found that by accident and jammed the door and couldn't get
out....that's where i got all mine to 3 and 4 before getting knock knock.
Now I am actually mapping.  Have you gotten out of the castle yet?  According
to CGW there's stuff outside the castle as well.

spoiler:
^L
I assume u have the key of ramm.  if not, that's on level 1 located
near the back left corner of the room where you pressed a button to
open a door that has a sign saying keep door closed during regular service
hours or something like that.

maybe that'll help.
you're probably much further than I am.
later,
ross

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (02/02/91)

[]
I have the book of RAMM< the  key of RAMM< the captains decoder ring
and a lot more junk.  Basically I feel I am making no progress however.
I did get the captain to let me in and I kicked his butt, still
I am constatnly just oipening new doors to find more I cannot pass.

I get no real feeeling of accomplishment or progress in this game.
-Roger

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

docken@convex.com (William Dockendorf) (02/05/91)

  I'm having problems with this game also.  Basically, there are
few places I can get to and a bunch of areas that I can't get
in because I don't have the right items.  It seems that this game
expects you to do things in just the order it wants you to, since
when you get an item, it only opens up an extra room or two.

  I'm stuck with no-where to go except wander around and kill
monsters.  All my characters are 7th level, so killing monsters
for an extra 200 experience is more than a bit boring.

  I have found the Key of Ramm and used it in the Kings bedroom,
found and used the rotten cheese, found the stuffed beagle and
returned it (although all I got was a silver key that doesn't
fit any of the gates I can get to).  I have used one of the spade
keys and killed the zombie.  I have also found and used the gold
key to get into the giant snake pit, but found nothing in there.

  I don't know where the Captain's treasure is, and I don't have
the password to get into the Captain's Den.  I was also unable to
figure out anything in the room with cracks in the walls.

  I've been to most of the ground level, the first level below
ground, the first level above ground, and up each of the four
outer towers.

  The items that I have are :

   Kings Diary       - Unuseable due to it being in code
   Deadman's Diary   - Unuseable due to it being in code
   Dagger of Ramm    - No use found other than to drain HP when equiped
   Goats Mask        - No use found other than to drain HP when equiped
   Empty Wine bottle - No use found
   Amulet of Life    - No use found
   Mystery Oil, Book of Directions, 10 iron keys, 4 copper keys,
   1 spade key, 3 chrome keys, and a silver key.

  A walkthrough and/or outright spoilers will be welcome since I'm
tired of having nowhere to explore, and finding things like the
jailers key which only opens up a couple extra rooms only adds to
the frustration.

  Thanks,

    William Dockendorf