[comp.sys.amiga.games] Buck Rogers by SSI

huebner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Robert E. Huebner) (01/29/91)

I had expected someone else to comment on this previously, but I haven't
noticed so I'll have a go:

SSI's latest (?) RPG based on the familiar AD&D playing system (I mean
the game mechanics are the same, not the actual rules it is based
on) is a really well-done piece of code.  I think SSI and the coding
group responsible for the conversion deserve some public praise.  This
new game is:

HD Installable
Allows HD Saves
Multitasks well (although lacking a front/back gadget, Amiga-M/N work)
No disk protection (but has manual-lookup procedure, is this the first
time this has appeared in an SSI Role Play Game?)
Bug-free so far
All screen displays seem to be at full Amiga resolution and bit
depth (ie: its not a Sierra Game)
Not bothered by extra memory (not sure if it uses it fully)
Also not certain of 680x0 compatibility, but I'd be suprised to find
    problems judging by its overall good behaviour.

The combat system has been altered slightly making ranged weapon targeting
easier than some previous AD&D games.  So far the gameplay has been
interesting, although somewhat linear.

This game also has an extensive "journal" lookup system.  Journal
entries seem more frequent in this game compared to others I have
played.  Large bitmap displays pop up frequently to add atmosphere
and detail to the otherwise stock 3-D maze footage.

The hard disk installation procedure is not automated, but a short
readme file explains to simple process and it works flawlessly.

--
| Robert E. Huebner                   | "Death is nature's way of telling  |
| huebner@en.ecn.purdue.edu           |  you to slow down"                 |

beckmon@sapphire.idbsu.edu (Jon Beckmon) (02/02/91)

Yes Buck Rogers is a very well done game along the same lines
as the AD&D titles with the same menu setups and different
types of weapons etc.  Of course these games seem to get
easier all the time.  It only took me 4 days or so to complete
the game.                                                            s.

farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) (02/02/91)

huebner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Robert E. Huebner) writes:

>SSI's latest (?) RPG based on the familiar AD&D playing system (I mean
>the game mechanics are the same, not the actual rules it is based
>on) is a really well-done piece of code.  I think SSI and the coding
>group responsible for the conversion deserve some public praise.

Buck Rogers was the first Amiga version that SSI did in house.  I'll
pass your praise on to the guy what did the Amiga version - he'll
appreciate it.

--
Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.us

scroll@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Steve Croll) (02/06/91)

In article <22964@well.sf.ca.us> farren@well.sf.ca.us (Mike Farren) writes:
>huebner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Robert E. Huebner) writes:
>
>>SSI's latest (?) RPG based on the familiar AD&D playing system (I mean
>>the game mechanics are the same, not the actual rules it is based
>>on) is a really well-done piece of code.  I think SSI and the coding
>>group responsible for the conversion deserve some public praise.
>
>Buck Rogers was the first Amiga version that SSI did in house.  I'll
>pass your praise on to the guy what did the Amiga version - he'll
>appreciate it.
>
>--
>Mike Farren 				     farren@well.sf.ca.us

My opinions differ.  I posted this in early January.

  Has anyone had any luck in keeping "Buck Rogers - Countdown to Doomsday"
  from crashing on an Amiga 3000?  Sometimes I can play for a couple hours
  between crashes but normally it crashes every 10 minutes or so.  I have
  the program installed on my harddrive and have tried all sorts of things
  to try to get it to work reliably.  I have tried running under 1.3 & 2.0
  and that seems to have no effect.  I have tried the game with both caches
  turned off (and also both on) -- no effect.  I have tried setting the stack
  to large numbers (80,000 bytes) -- no effect.

  Sometimes when I start the game, it comes up with an insert disk "Buck2"
  requester that I cannot get to go away.  I have tried assigning Buck2 to
  the directory on the harddrive but that has no effect.  When this happens,
  I must reboot the machine (as the game hangs waiting for the requester to
  be satisfied).  What is really weird is if I start the game from (say) the
  Workbench and I get the requester, I must reboot and start the game from the
  CLI or I again get the requester.  This works both ways (start the game from
  the CLI, get the requester, reboot, MUST start the game from the Workbench
  or I get the requester).

  When the game crashes, the machine freezes.  If I wait a long enough or
  if I reboot (CTRL-Amiga-Amiga) I get a memory freed twice error (81000009).
  I have gotten some weird results running the Enforcer.  It seems the program
  likes to do longword reads of location $6 (!) and likes to read bytes at
  location $155.  It does these so often that I have not run the Enforcer
  for more than a few "game moves" (the game moves unbearably slow with all
  the Enforcer hits).

  I have tried calling the tech. support number.  They said they did extensive
  testing (but only on an Amiga 500 & 2000).  The guy said he knew of no
  problems and the only thing he could suggest is to send the disks back and
  they would replace them with a new ones.  I guess I will try this, but
  with "no known problems" I doubt they have a fix.

I have only recently sent the disks to SSI.  I hope they have a fix.

Steve Croll (internet: scroll@reef.cis.ufl.edu  home: 904-373-8389)

aggaton@diku.dk (Klavs Torben Pedersen) (02/06/91)

Hi!

   I too think Buck Rogers is a great game, I even occasional turn back to it
even though I've completed it (took me 48 straight hours :) ) The only draw-
back after my opinion is that the space-combat is so little detailed. It should
be possible to equip your ship with better weapons...I've only succeded to
board the MER MD Cruiser twice, and the RAM HVY Cruiser is totally impossible.
Does anyone has a tip? Btw. Great idea with the including book :)

						Klavs Pedersen,
						DIKU, Denmark

beckmon@sapphire.idbsu.edu (Jon Beckmon) (02/07/91)

I don't think you're supposed to be able to beat the heavy cruiser
yet...Remeber its ony the first program in a series!
I don't bother boarding the medium cruiser I just blast
it to smitherins...pays the same.