[comp.sys.amiga.games] Faery Tale

logden@tc.fluke.COM (Leonard Ogden) (02/08/91)

I recently picked up an older game called Faery Tale. I'll betthere are many who've played and completed this classic.

I'm in the earliest stagest of the game, having explored town andinvestigated the graveyard south. I'm looking for a key to thecrypt in the graveyard, and any general pointers to the game.

How do I handle this three brothers deal? Should I expect to winit with the first one (ie save every few moments?), or do I kindof use one guy up and then go on to the next, or do each of thebrothers have something specific to do?

Well, thanks for listening.

Len Ogden

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb7.213401.17045@tc.fluke.COM> logden@tc.fluke.COM (Leonard Ogden) writes:
>I'm in the earliest stagest of the game, having explored town and
>investigated the graveyard south. I'm looking for a key to the crypt
>in the graveyard, and any general pointers to the game.

You will find keys later.  The "key" in the beginning is to build up your
character and obtain a decent weapon for him, and your best bet for
accomplishing this objective is to stick around the grave yard.

Go into the graveyard and wait at the Eastern fence (the one that runs North
and South).  Then, when bad guys show up to attack you (which they will -
just be patient), the first thing you will notice is that you can stick them
through the fence, but they cannot reach through the fence to you.

Just keep killing them.  Try to get a sword as soon as possible.  Kill them
at the fence until you are good enough to slice them from a step back (your
reach extends as your strength increases).  Then you are strong enough to
roam the countryside without dying from the first "engagement" that you
stumble into.

>How do I handle this three brothers deal? Should I expect to winit with
>the first one (ie save every few moments?), or do I kindof use one guy up
>and then go on to the next, or do each of thebrothers have something
>specific to do?

You can easily win on the first guy, if you build up before launching out.

This is a huge game, with a lot of territory to explore, including a large
underground labyrinth (which is not reached through the crypt, BTW).  Don't
expect to win it in only a couple of days.  I played for probably 100s of
hours of entertaining exploration, and I never did actually finish all of
the quests (you will encounter various people in your game, each of whom
will request that you perform a different quest for them. - Hint - be very
nice (don't hit them - if you can, give them money) to the neutral people
and/or animals that you encounter on the road.  If you are too aggressive
to the non-combatives it will mess you up (you won't get cooperation when
you need it later on in the game).

--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.

samuel@rind.cs.cornell.edu (Samuel M. Weber) (02/09/91)

In article <1991Feb7.213401.17045@tc.fluke.COM> logden@tc.fluke.COM (Leonard Ogden) writes:
>I recently picked up an older game called Faery Tale. I'll betthere are
>many who've played and completed this classic.

Yes, one of the best games ever written!

>How do I handle this three brothers deal? Should I expect to winit with
>the first one (ie save every few moments?), or do I kindof use one guy up
>and then go on to the next, or do each of thebrothers have something
>specific to do?

No, none of the brothers have anything specific to do, and there is no
real reason to use one over any other.  Generally what happens is that
when you first start playing the game you go through brothers like popcorn
while you get the hang of the game (So, unlike some other games you don't
get frustrated at having to keep restarting).  When you get the hang of it
you generally can finish without using up Julian's lives.

Have fun!
   -- Sam Weber                   "I never think of money,
                                   I think of milk and honey,
   samuel@cs.cornell.edu           Grinnin' like a cheshire cat!"
                                              --The Muppet Movie

avatar@oak.circa.ufl.edu (02/09/91)

If you need a little help with combat in Faerie Tale Adventure, here is a way
to live almost forever. I only invented it on the C64 so I dont know if it will
work on others, but here goes:
In the C64 at least, you take advantage of a bug. Put a write protected data
disk in your drive or some other disk from a different game. Die. When the
computer messes up, don't tell it to format the disk. It will put you back where
you were, but with exactly 0 hit points. Go into some water or get hit by some-
thing before you heal any. Your life will jump to 999. Now the only way you
can die is by a special instant death situation.
(Obviously, I found this out by an accident and subsequent experimentation.)
(The accident was most important, though.)

avatar@oak.circa.ufl.edu (02/09/91)

And about the brothers, though my bug, if it works on your computer, will pre-
vent the need, don't ever die. It will screw you. You lose stats and your nextt
brother will have lost all of the stuff you dropped. It is infinite pain and
certain death.

balistik@nevada.edu (SHAWN HICKS) (02/10/91)

In article <00943F51.C348B500@MAPLE.CIRCA.UFL.EDU> avatar@oak.circa.ufl.edu writes:
>vent the need, don't ever die. It will screw you. You lose stats and your nextt
>brother will have lost all of the stuff you dropped. It is infinite pain and
>certain death.

Not true! ;>  All you have to do is find your dead brothers place of death.
There you will find his bones and whatever he was carying.

//B//

avatar@oak.circa.ufl.edu (02/10/91)

Yes, you need only find the brother's bones, but when you died far away
underground and the new guy has nothing not even any blue stones it ruins the
game.

diogenes@bbs.sbs.com (Charles Bandes) (02/11/91)

logden@tc.fluke.COM (Leonard Ogden) writes:
> How do I handle this three brothers deal? Should I expect to winit with the f
Don't worry about the other brothers - you will win with the first one.
Important hints - talk to the queen of the ice palace as much as possible -
it increases your luck to 65.  Also - attack the turtle - it doesn't get
hurt, and your bravery goes up.  Do this until your bravery is VERY HIGH!
Also - save the game very frequently, so you get more use out of your maps -
this way you can save, then look at the map, and start the game again from
the save, without wasting the map!  Good luck

egp@sarah.amiga.OCUnix.On.Ca (Eric Plante) (02/12/91)

In a message posted on 7 Feb 91 21:34:01 GMT,
logden@tc.fluke.COM (Leonard Ogden) wrote:

LO>I'm in the earliest stagest of the game, having explored town andinvestigated
the graveyard south. I'm looking for a key to thecrypt in the graveyard, and
any general pointers to the game.

Hint - Don't worry about the crypt, it will only play a role later in the
game (you will be told when you need to go there). At that point in the
game it will be empty (unless... But I won't spoil it for you. :-) )

LO>How do I handle this three brothers deal? Should I expect to winit with
the first one (ie save every few moments?), or do I kindof use one guy up

I did it with the second one because he had more luck and therefore had
more lives to accumulate fighting experience, but it can be done with the
first or the third, although I'd assume it's VERY rough with the third...

LO>and then go on to the next, or do each of thebrothers have something
specific to do?

Nope. You just finish the game with wichever one you will be using at that
point...

LO>Well, thanks for listening.

No prob. If you, or anyone, have questions concerning that game, mail me. I
have finished the game completely, and I know a few tricks (although my
memory might be a bit rusted when it comes to the labyrinths...)

LO>Len Ogden

---
[                                    ][                                  ]
[ Eric Plante                        ][ Opinions expressed in this       ]
[   Fido: 1:163/109.63 (819)568-6850 ][ message do not necessarily       ]
[   UUCP: ...!fts1!atronx!sarah!egp  ][ reflect those of its author..    ]
[____________________________________][__________________________________]

vernon@sail.LABS.TEK.COM (Vernon Wheeler) (02/12/91)

In article <00943F51.C348B500@MAPLE.CIRCA.UFL.EDU>, avatar@oak.circa.ufl.edu writes:
> And about the brothers, though my bug, if it works on your computer, will pre-
> vent the need, don't ever die. It will screw you. You lose stats and your nextt
> brother will have lost all of the stuff you dropped. It is infinite pain and
> certain death.

If you return to tambry an die just outside the last couple of times.
his bones are easy to find. Remember when you are killed you do not always
end up where you die but some where durring youre lattest steps. going
in circles semms to update this. if you dont recover the stuff quickly
go to the graveyard again.

Vernon Wheeler