[comp.sys.amiga.games] Immortal Problems!

hellfire@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Brian Young) (01/22/91)

  I just got "The Immortal" for my 1000.  When I try to boot it (under 1.3),
the screen turns white, purple, then black and begins loading for about 3
seconds.  Then, it pauses, and loads for 3 more seconds with a pause in
between each disk access endlessly.  The manual says that "No hard drives
or extra drives are supported."  I have an external floppy, which I unplugged
to no avail.
  I also have a Supra Drive and SCSI controller, attached to my bus.  This
controller also passes the bus to my Microbotics 1.5 Meg expansion, which
is also equipped with a SCSI controller (currently unused).  With the harddrive
off and no Workbench to activate it, I see no reason why the harddrive should
interfere (unlike the floppy, which is automatically activated).  Could it
be the presence of the controller through which the memory must pass on the
bus that is the problem?
  Sorry that this is so poorly worded.  My initial impression with this game
is utter disappointment!  (And I haven't even seen it yet!)  WHY have both
disk and manual protection?  That is crap.  If it's the European pirate boom
they're so worried about, then sell a different version here!  Electronic
Arts' games (or at least the ones they distribute) show a disturbing trend
toward one-drive support ...only!  If I have to unplug my controller EVERYTIME
I wish to play the game, EA will be receiving a package from me soon!
  Thanks in advance!

--
*--------------------------------------*------------------------------------*
| hellfire@catt.ncsu.edu - Brian Young | 'For he hath dined on honey-dew,   |

eric@oakhill.sps.mot.com (Eric Quintana) (01/24/91)

hellfire@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Brian Young) writes:

>  I just got "The Immortal" for my 1000.  When I try to boot it (under 1.3),
>the screen turns white, purple, then black and begins loading for about 3
>seconds.  Then, it pauses, and loads for 3 more seconds with a pause in
>between each disk access endlessly.

Did you wait long enough?  The game does the same thing on my A3000
(load -- pause -- load -- pause) for about a couple of minutes.
Eventually, it stops and asks for the next disk.

I know how you feel.  I nearly returned the game because during the
initial loading, there is NO indication that the game is loading
properly.  If you listen to the drive start and stop, you think that
something is wrong.

As an aside, Immortal DOES run properly on my A3000 when I boot under
1.3.  It even runs under 2.0 except that the text will sometimes scroll
by too fast to read.  I wish it was HD installable.

Eric Quintana                       eric@rorschach.sps.mot.com
Motorola Microprocessor Design      (512) 891-2915
--

itch@cbnews.att.com (richard.m.brack) (02/12/91)

In article <1991Jan21.184400.25129@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu>, hellfire@hobbes.catt.ncsu.edu (Brian Young) writes:

>   I just got "The Immortal" for my 1000.  When I try to boot it (under 1.3),
> the screen turns white, purple, then black and begins loading for about 3
> seconds.  Then, it pauses, and loads for 3 more seconds with a pause in
> between each disk access endlessly.  The manual says that "No hard drives
> or extra drives are supported."  I have an external floppy, which I unplugged
> to no avail.
>   I also have a Supra Drive and SCSI controller, attached to my bus.  This
> controller also passes the bus to my Microbotics 1.5 Meg expansion, which
> is also equipped with a SCSI controller (currently unused).  With the harddrive
> off and no Workbench to activate it, I see no reason why the harddrive should
> interfere (unlike the floppy, which is automatically activated).  Could it
> be the presence of the controller through which the memory must pass on the
> bus that is the problem?

Well, I'm playing Immortal on a 2000 with 2 internal floppy drives and a
Supra Hard Drive.  The loading is VERY strange, but it loads.  I put the
Boot disk in df0:.  It will acces it for a while, then the light on df1:
blinks a few times, then it goes back to df0:, then to df1:, df0:, df1:....
until it finally asks for the Play disk.  I think it does take a few minutes.
It is a pitty... it really is a wonderful game, but the lack of 2 drive
support is disturbing (let alone HardDrive/OS support).  Throwing in
the manual protection with the disk protection really sucks!

>   Sorry that this is so poorly worded.  My initial impression with this game
> is utter disappointment!  (And I haven't even seen it yet!)  WHY have both

Keep trying...it IS a VERY GOOD game...

> disk and manual protection?  That is crap.  If it's the European pirate boom
> they're so worried about, then sell a different version here!  Electronic
> Arts' games (or at least the ones they distribute) show a disturbing trend
> toward one-drive support ...only!  If I have to unplug my controller EVERYTIME
> I wish to play the game, EA will be receiving a package from me soon!
>   Thanks in advance!

ANY TWO DISK GAME SHOULD SUPPORT TWO DRIVES!!!!!! THE IS NO EXCUSE!!!

> --
> | hellfire@catt.ncsu.edu - Brian Young | 'For he hath dined on honey-dew,   |
> *--------------------------------------*  And drunk the milk of Paradise.'  |
> |RUSH, Doctor Who, and Amiga -- The finer things of life!       -Coleridge  |

RichBrack
--
{ the itchman cometh   /-/         _          i don't want to be your angel }
{ itch@cbnews.att.com /-/        _|_|_          i want to be your witch!    }