[comp.sys.amiga.games] Chaos "Bridge" Room Help Wanted

schur@isi.edu (Sean Schur) (02/10/91)

I am having problem in the "bridge" room. This is near the room with the
fireballs flying back and forth and the "prove you're a wizard" room.

First of all, when you first enter the "prove you're a wizard" room, to
on the right wall is a button. However, I have found no way to get to
the square with the button on it. Anyone have any ideas? The square
which the button is opens up a pit when you step into the room.

Secondly, after passing the "bridge", I am stuck. There is a keyhole for,
what looks like, a winged key. But I don't have the key and don't know
where to get it. The hint oracle is supposed to tell you where you can
find the key if you stand in from of it, however, that doesn't work here.
Other than the keyhole there is a cul-de-sac with three buttons in it and
a scroll. The scroll says "press westward". If I press the button on the
west wall, nothing happens. As a matter of fact, no matter which button
I press, nothing seems to happen. When I consult the hint oracle here it
says that the scroll maps out which secret doors are opened by which
buttons. I don't get it. The scroll only says "press westward" and I
can't find any doors opening up. Also there is a key in a wall nook
beyond a pit and what looks like two green buttons on another wall
beyond more pits. How do I get to these things? They only way I have
found out of this area it a button which opens a wall to a stairway down
to the cistern.But there doesn't seem to be anything down in the cistern
worth worrying about.

Any help about this area would be greatly appreciated.

			     \          /
			      \   \    /      /
Sean Schur		       \   \  /      /
				\   \/      /
USENET: schur@isi.edu		 \  /a\mpyr/
Compuserve: 70731,1102		  \/   \  / ideo
Plink: OSS259				\/

cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu) ((Werjun), Norfolk State University) (02/10/91)

In article <16705@venera.isi.edu>, schur@isi.edu (Sean Schur) writes:
> I am having problem in the "bridge" room. This is near the room with the
> fireballs flying back and forth and the "prove you're a wizard" room.
>
> First of all, when you first enter the "prove you're a wizard" room, to
> on the right wall is a button. However, I have found no way to get to
> the square with the button on it. Anyone have any ideas? The square
> which the button is opens up a pit when you step into the room.
>
> Secondly, after passing the "bridge", I am stuck. There is a keyhole for,
> what looks like, a winged key. But I don't have the key and don't know
> where to get it. The hint oracle is supposed to tell you where you can
> find the key if you stand in from of it, however, that doesn't work here.
> Other than the keyhole there is a cul-de-sac with three buttons in it and
> a scroll. The scroll says "press westward". If I press the button on the
> west wall, nothing happens. As a matter of fact, no matter which button
> I press, nothing seems to happen. When I consult the hint oracle here it
> says that the scroll maps out which secret doors are opened by which
> buttons. I don't get it. The scroll only says "press westward" and I
> can't find any doors opening up. Also there is a key in a wall nook
> beyond a pit and what looks like two green buttons on another wall
> beyond more pits. How do I get to these things? They only way I have
> found out of this area it a button which opens a wall to a stairway down
> to the cistern.But there doesn't seem to be anything down in the cistern
> worth worrying about.
>
> Any help about this area would be greatly appreciated.

,    Hello, Sean.  Glad you could join me in this area of the dungeon.  I plan
on spending the rest of my life here....probably write my memoirs and throw 'em
down the nearest pit.  Maybe some hardier, smarter adventurer than I will find
them and release them to the outside world......

I have been in and out of this area many times....I just go around in circles.
It is interesting that when I use that door back down to the Cistern, I found
a couple of new items that weren't there before.

Have you found the room that says LAUGHING PIT?

Jean

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
+                           +                                 +
+ werjun@large              +   Why, I've got couth I ain't   +
+ cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu  +         even used yet!          +
+                           +                                 +
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Stewart Mckinnon) (02/11/91)

RE: Getting the WINGED KEY.....OK - This is tricky. If you have pushed
ALL the buttons, then you have probably seen the effects. 2 of the
buttons release Couatls (the nasty flying things) into the room. You
have then aready pressed the right button (by pressing them all) what
the proper button will do is cause a wall section (solid) to become
an illusionary wall section. This section is located BEHIND you as
you stand on the last square you can get to in an EASTERLY direction
(just along a bit from the 3 button alcove) First, though, throw a

throwing star over to the pressure plate BEYOND the pit to the EAST
of where you are standing. This will close the pit, but you have to
get through the illusionary wall section and bypass this area, coming
out at the spot where the pit was. You can now proceed to the green
buttons and by pressing the CORRECT one you will close the pit in
front of the altar containing the WINGED KEY. Get all that? It's HARD
to put in words exactly what to do! Good luck!

--
Stewart Mckinnon - via FidoNet node 1:221/171
UUCP    : watmath!xenitec!zswamp!178.0!Stewart.Mckinnon

skelley@atreus.umiacs.umd.edu (Stephen Kelley) (02/11/91)

The "key" so to speak is to "press westward" (from the cul do sac). By using the
thief (KU?) mapping spell to avoid traps and finding hidden walls you will be
able to get to a niche w/ the winged key. After that it's on to the DDD -
and "room of the dragons".

A question of my own:
	I got to this door (I believe it the KU corbum, one) that I don't have
a key for. It's a small room up a flight of stairs from the DDD. What key do
i need? Or, do I need lockpicks?
--

ADMS - not a dbms you're likely to run into every day
	(Unless of course you want process time on one of *OUR* machines...)

Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Stewart Mckinnon) (02/12/91)

RE: Small room at the top of some stairs from the DDD Level....could
you be a LITTLE more specific there? Could you tell me, for example
which WAY it is in? There are just so MANY 'small rooms' and doors
in this area that I couldn't BEGIN to fathom which one you're referring
to. Look forward to hearing back from you.

--
Stewart Mckinnon - via FidoNet node 1:221/171
UUCP    : watmath!xenitec!zswamp!178.0!Stewart.Mckinnon
Internet: Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org

cseaman@sequent.UUCP (Chris "The Bartman" Seaman) (02/13/91)

Har, thar be spoilers ahead, matey!

<
< First of all, when you first enter the "prove you're a wizard" room, to
< on the right wall is a button. However, I have found no way to get to
< the square with the button on it. Anyone have any ideas? The square
< which the button is opens up a pit when you step into the room.

This switch can only be accessed from the 'other side'.  After you have
proven you are a wizard (by catsing the appropriate spell), you will
teleport to a space beyond the current chamber.  Once you have opened
the way back in (more on this later), you can press the switch, and it
opens a section of wall which lets you pass the room without triggering
the pits.  Unfortunately, there is a hidden trigger which re-closes the
wall, too.

[...]

This area had me stuck for quite a while.  There is the winged-keyhole,
what appears to be a key in a cut-out in a wall, an alcove with three
switches, SEVERAL hidden pits, two green buttons, a floor plate, and
two illusionary walls.  Sounds fun, huh?

The solution is in two parts.  First, in the alcove, there is the
scroll which reads 'Press Westward'.  If you press the eastern-most
switch, then turn left, and press the northern switch, then turn and
press the western switch, it opens a section of wall leading back to
the 'Prove you are a wizard' room (see above).  Repeating the process
closes the wall again.

Second, if you throw something across the pits onto the floor plate (to
the west of the 'Press Westward' alcove), one of the pits will close,
allowing you to pass through the illusionary walls.  You can now reach
the green buttons.  I'm not sure exactly what the different
combinations of these buttons might produce, but, by pressing the right
one first, then the left one, you will close the pit in front of the
cut-out containing the winged key.  The key opens a section of wall
leading to more stairs, leading both up and down.

Oh, did I mention that there are several flying-snake regeneration
squares?  And of course, taking the winged key generates quite a few
more.  Better have lots of anti-venom potions and fireballs handy.

Regards,
Chris

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |  /|__|\__/|__|\
cseaman@gateway.sequent.com <or>  | |              |     Where does he get

flax@Mizar.DoCS.UU.SE (Jonas Flygare) (02/13/91)

In article <629.27b50daa@vger.nsu.edu>, cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu)
((Werjun), Norfolk State University) writes:
> In article <16705@venera.isi.edu>, schur@isi.edu (Sean Schur) writes:
> > I am having problem in the "bridge" room. This is near the room with the
> > fireballs flying back and forth and the "prove you're a wizard" room.
> >
> > First of all, when you first enter the "prove you're a wizard" room, to
> > on the right wall is a button. However, I have found no way to get to
> > the square with the button on it. Anyone have any ideas? The square
> > which the button is opens up a pit when you step into the room.

Ok, I'd like to get advice on how to get to either of these..

And where is the cistern??

> Have you found the room that says LAUGHING PIT?

Yep.. Grab the magic boxes, and when the pit closes use the box.
That's why you get several, so you can get back..
Oh, and kill off them spirits first, it's SO embarrasing to have your passage
across blocked by on (1!) of them.. AAARGGGGHHHHHH! :-)

+ flax@mizar.docs.uu.se + "Alcohol is a powerful stimulant. It is never used
+ ( Jonas Flygare )     + in its pure state in medicine, but when diluted
+ ( aka Mad Flax  )     + forms a useful remedy in many diseases. It is
+                       + generally employed in the form of whisky, gin, rum,
+                       + brandy and wine" (Dr. Pierce's Medical Adviser, 1879)

Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Stewart Mckinnon) (02/14/91)

RE: WHERE IS THE CYSTERN....This area lies directly underneath the
Level 6 main area of DAIN containing the WINGED KEY on the altar.
There is not any real treasure to speak of, but it will allow you
to get to a few areas otherwise impassible from the other side. Lead
a WATER ELEMENTAL here over a floor drain & see what happens! *HAPPY
ADVENTURING!*