amiga-relay@ee.udel.edu (01/20/91)

From: fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu

Well, Flight Simulator II, although a bit long in the tooth by now, is still
available, and is (of course) completely compatible with the SubLogic
scenery disks, including the way cool Hawaiian disk, which has a kitchen
in a volcano (!)...
                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet

elson@otc.otca.oz (Elson Markwick) (01/24/91)

In article <1991Jan18.000856.5906@csis.dit.csiro.au> molr@csis.dit.csiro.au (Rory Molinari) writes:

>Can anybody suggest a good flight simulator for  the Amiga?  I want one
>that lets me do more than just go on military missions, ie I want to be
>able to fly around and see some scenery, like Flight Simulator II.
>I have an A1000 with 2 floppies and 2 1/2 megs of ram.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind one a bit different myself.  I get a bit sick of the
latest technology type simulators around.  Isn't there *any* where you can fly
say a Spitfire, with some decent ground fire (NOT just SAMs), do a little
balloon strafing, a little bombing, dogfighting (I get *real* sick of just
locking the radar onto 'em and launching off an AIM), trench strafing.......

Cheers, Elson

--
Elson Markwick | The only good cat |ACSnet:  elson@otc.otca.oz.au
OTC R & D Unit |is a stir-fried cat|UUCP: {uunet,mcvax}!otc.otca.oz.au!elson

colas@avahi.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) (01/24/91)

In article <2199@otc.otca.oz>, elson@otc.otca.oz (Elson Markwick) writes:
> Yeah, I wouldn't mind one a bit different myself.  I get a bit sick of the
> latest technology type simulators around.  Isn't there *any* where you can
fly
> say a Spitfire, with some decent ground fire (NOT just SAMs), do a little
> balloon strafing, a little bombing, dogfighting (I get *real* sick of just
> locking the radar onto 'em and launching off an AIM), trench strafing.......

Wings, BattleHawks 1942, and Battle of Britain... (all 3 HD installable, very
playable and addicting, no disk copy protection)

Heard that Red Baron and others are coming too from IBM...

F16 combat Pilot (dated now) and F19 are the most enjoyable jet sims, because
they involve a lot of tactics, especially when planning your missions...

--
Colas Nahaboo, Bull Research France -- Koala Project -- GWM X11 Window Manager
Internet: colas@mirsa.inria.fr, Phone: (33) 93.65.77.70, Fax: (33) 93 65 77 66

hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland) (01/26/91)

:>
:
:Yeah, I wouldn't mind one a bit different myself.  I get a bit sick of the
:latest technology type simulators around.  Isn't there *any* where you can fly
:say a Spitfire, with some decent ground fire (NOT just SAMs), do a little
:balloon strafing, a little bombing, dogfighting (I get *real* sick of just
:locking the radar onto 'em and launching off an AIM), trench strafing.......

Sounds like you guys are looking for Wings from Cinemaware. Not the
highest in terms of realism, but it does have dogfighting the old
fashioned way as well as bombing runs and strafing runs. Nice story
line too. I liked the game myself.

					--Moriland

--
| hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu |    __                                |
|                               | __/// Viva Amiga!                    |

critical.mass@pro-graphics.cts.com (Peter Altamore) (01/27/91)

On 24 Jan 91 01:39:56 GMT elson@otc.otca.oz (Elson Markwick) writes:

>Yeah, I wouldn't mind one a bit different myself.  I get a bit sick of the
>latest technology type simulators around.  Isn't there *any* where you can
fly
>say a Spitfire, with some decent ground fire (NOT just SAMs), do a little
>balloon strafing, a little bombing, dogfighting (I get *real* sick of just
>locking the radar onto 'em and launching off an AIM), trench strafing.......

You do a wonderful job of describing Wings by Cinemaware.  You don't fly a
Spitfire, it's in a WWI timeline.  They never tell you what you're flying
but I like to think it's a Sopwith Camel.  It has ground fire (not SAMs)
which you can supress, balloon strafing, bombing, dogfighting and trench
strafing.  It's a masterpiece (IMO).

I also like to fly Battlehawks which is a WWII pacific theatre simulator.
It has many historical missions like flying CAP for the Lexington, bombing
or torpedoing Jap carriers, intercepting Zeros and Kates.. many hours of
diversion here.

There seems to be a recent flood of WWI biplane type simulators lately.
Their Finest Hour, Wings, Blue Max, and The Red Baron are the one's I can
think of.  The last two are coming for Ami.
--
      UUCP: crash!pro-graphics!critical.mass    | Critical Mass Software
  ARPA/DDN: pro-graphics!critical.mass@nosc.mil | P.O. Box 23

adrian@cs.hw.ac.uk (Adrian Hurt) (01/30/91)

In article <7230@crash.cts.com> critical.mass@pro-graphics.cts.com (Peter Altamore) writes:
>On 24 Jan 91 01:39:56 GMT elson@otc.otca.oz (Elson Markwick) writes:
>
>>Yeah, I wouldn't mind one a bit different myself.  I get a bit sick of the
>>latest technology type simulators around.  Isn't there *any* where you can
>fly
>>say a Spitfire, with some decent ground fire (NOT just SAMs), do a little
>>balloon strafing, a little bombing, dogfighting (I get *real* sick of just
>>locking the radar onto 'em and launching off an AIM), trench strafing.......
>
>You do a wonderful job of describing Wings by Cinemaware.  ...
>					   It has ground fire (not SAMs)
>which you can supress, balloon strafing, bombing, dogfighting and trench
>strafing.  It's a masterpiece (IMO).

The snag with Wings is that some of it (dogfighting) is flight simulation,
and some of it (bombing, strafing) is more like a scrolling game.

>There seems to be a recent flood of WWI biplane type simulators lately.
>Their Finest Hour, Wings, Blue Max, and The Red Baron are the one's I can
>think of.  The last two are coming for Ami.

Which version of Their Finest Hour is that?  My version is set in WWII.  It
simulates several different aircraft, and none of them are biplanes.  I suspect
that Elson would enjoy this game, even though there is no trench strafing or
balloon busting, and the only time you see "ground" fire is from ships, and
even that is just decoration - I've yet to see anything get hit by ship's
AA.  You can fly a Spitfire or a Hurricane, and try to shoot down German
bombers while evading (or shooting down) German fighters.  Or you can fly
a German fighter, and try to protect the bombers.  Or you can fly a bomber.
My personal favourite is to fly the Bf110, which allows you to do a bit of
everything.  Aircraft graphics are bitmapped, which means they aircraft are
nicely detailed.  It also means you can see when they change from one view to
another.  The ground, and buildings on the ground, are vector drawn.  One
thing I like about this game when compared to all the jet simulators I've
seen is, enemy weapons do as much damage to you as your weapons do to him.
In too many games, one hit from your weapon destroys the enemy outright,
while a hit on your aircraft just damages it a bit.  In Their Finest Hour,
you need to hit the enemy aircraft a lot before he goes down - and often
enough, he does go down, rather than simply exploding before your eyes.
More variety is provided by the fact that there are several fixed missions
for each type of aircraft, apparently based on real actions from the Battle
of Britain; or you can custom-build your own missions; or you can play a
campaign, in which you get to decide what aircraft (and how many) to use in
each raid (if you're playing the Germans, you also get to decide what to
raid).  Finally, the manual contains a full history of the Battle of Britain,
along with lots of black-and-white photos - the manual alone is almost worth
the price!

 "Keyboard?  How quaint!" - M. Scott

 Adrian Hurt			     |	JANET:  adrian@uk.ac.hw.cs
 UUCP: ..!ukc!cs.hw.ac.uk!adrian     |  ARPA:   adrian@cs.hw.ac.uk

hunt@dg-rtp.rtp.dg.com (Greg Hunt) (01/31/91)

In article <2218@otc.otca.oz>, elson@otc.otca.oz (Elson Markwick) writes:

> Yeah, in F-18, you hit the guy with *one* round from your gun (as I said -
> locking a missile on gets boring after a while), and bugger me if he
> doesn't go
> up (down? ;^) in a ball of flame.  'Course, while you're shooting at him his
> evasive manouvers (sp?) are of the fly straight and level at a constant speed
> "Geez, I hope I don't get my arse shot out from under me" type (well maybe a
> *bit* more than that)

I've always had to hit enemy MIG's with at least three cannon rounds
before they blow up in F-18.  One has never done it for me.  And the
MIG's have never flown "straight and level at a constant speed" when
I'm engaged with them.  They're jinking all over the place, and getting
several good cannon shots into one is definitely not easy, but it is
possible.

The only enemy planes in F-18 that fly straight and level are the
stolen F-16's.  They are very easy pickings, but shooting them down
isn't the way you're supposed to complete the mission.  You're supposed
to fly in front of them and thereby politely tell them that you're
on to them and that they should turn around and fly home.  That's
a fair challenge every time I try it.

Are you sure that you're talking about F-18?

--
Greg Hunt                        Internet: hunt@dg-rtp.rtp.dg.com
DG/UX Kernel Development         UUCP:     {world}!mcnc!rti!dg-rtp!hunt

DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) (02/01/91)

     Not to start a war (got enough of them as it is), but I need to find just
what Elson is describing: a WWII, selectable aircraft, good graphics, good
missions, realistic dogfight/mission simulator that RUNS ON AN A3000.
     What'd be the best?

| -Doug  Bischoff- |    *** ***    ====--\         | "I'm not God...  |
| -DEB110 @ PSUVM- |   *  ***  *     ==|<>\___     |    I was just    |
| -The Black Ring- |    *** ***        |______\    |       misquoted!"|
| --- "Wheels" --- |      ***           O   O      |   -Dave Lister   |
| Corwyn Blakwolfe |     T.R.I.     -------------  |    RED DWARF     |
\---- DEB110@PSUVM.PSU.EDU  D.BISCHOFF on GEnie  THIRDMAN on PAN -----/

Dave.Smith@zswamp.fidonet.org (Dave Smith) (02/02/91)

sorry about the delay but im a new user
        if you like spitfires, huricanes, me 109's and such i strongly

suggest "the finest hour".  with this you can make you own type of
battles, choose the type of aircraft you want to fly (8 in all) and
is really well done.  it's my top played simulator

--
Dave Smith - via FidoNet node 1:221/171
UUCP    : watmath!xenitec!zswamp!Dave.Smith

richieb@bony1.bony.com (Richard Bielak) (02/06/91)

In article <91031.153729DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu> DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) writes:

>     Not to start a war (got enough of them as it is), but I need to find just
>what Elson is describing: a WWII, selectable aircraft, good graphics, good
>missions, realistic dogfight/mission simulator that RUNS ON AN A3000.
>     What'd be the best?

How about "Their Finest Hour" the Battle of Britain Simulator? You
can fly English or German airplanes. You can fly fighters or bombers.
You can fly an entire campaign.

...richie

| Richie Bielak  (212)-815-3072    | "The sights one sees at times makes one |
| Internet:      richieb@bony.com  |  wonder if God ever really meant for    |
| Bang:       uunet!bony1!richieb  |  man to fly."  -- Charles Lindbergh     |

jpn@castle.ed.ac.uk (J Neil) (02/06/91)

In article <1991Feb5.220759.18459@bony1.bony.com> richieb@bony1.UUCP (Richard Bielak) writes:
>In article <91031.153729DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu> DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) writes:
                     [stuff deleted]

>How about "Their Finest Hour" the Battle of Britain Simulator? You
>can fly English or German airplanes. You can fly fighters or bombers.
         ^^^^^^^
>You can fly an entire campaign.

I've had about enough of this nonsense. This is an example of the
misplaced colonial attitude that appears on the Net from time to time.

Get it right. Elements from all four home nations (look it up)
were involved in the Battle Of Britain.

As a matter of interest, the two top Aces during the Battle were
from Scottish squadrons.

Paul

jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J Chung) (02/07/91)

jpn@castle.ed.ac.uk (J Neil) writes:

>In article <1991Feb5.220759.18459@bony1.bony.com> richieb@bony1.UUCP (Richard Bielak) writes:
>>In article <91031.153729DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu> DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) writes:
>                     [stuff deleted]
>>
>>How about "Their Finest Hour" the Battle of Britain Simulator? You
>>can fly English or German airplanes. You can fly fighters or bombers.
>         ^^^^^^^
>>You can fly an entire campaign.
>>
>I've had about enough of this nonsense. This is an example of the
>misplaced colonial attitude that appears on the Net from time to time.

>Get it right. Elements from all four home nations (look it up)
>were involved in the Battle Of Britain.

>As a matter of interest, the two top Aces during the Battle were
>from Scottish squadrons.

     If you really want to be accurate, there were also, Canadian, American,
and a few other nationalities represented.  In fact, I believe the Poles
were the most conspicuous and had the best kill ratio of all the nationalities.
                                      Just my $.02 (or it it 2 pence?)
                                          Jason

                                      Just my $.02 (or is it 2

If you really want>Paul

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (02/08/91)

[]
jpn@castle.ed.ac.uk writes: Elements from all four home nations were
involved in the Battle Of Britain

And he seemed upset, my question is what are all four home nations?
Just curious.  Why would he be so upset when people mention English and
German planes anyway?  I am at a loss to understand what his complaint
was.

-Roger

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

adrian@cs.hw.ac.uk (Adrian Hurt) (02/08/91)

In article <8306@castle.ed.ac.uk> jpn@castle.ed.ac.uk (J Neil) writes:
>In article <1991Feb5.220759.18459@bony1.bony.com> richieb@bony1.UUCP (Richard Bielak) writes:
>>How about "Their Finest Hour" the Battle of Britain Simulator? You
>>can fly English or German airplanes. You can fly fighters or bombers.
>         ^^^^^^^
>
>Get it right. Elements from all four home nations (look it up)
>were involved in the Battle Of Britain.

As were pilots from Commonwealth countries, the U.S.A., and various occupied
European countries.  However, the game map stops just north of Martlesham
Heath, so they probably are English aeroplanes in the game.

>As a matter of interest, the two top Aces during the Battle were
>from Scottish squadrons.

Indeed?  Didn't the Germans have any aces, then?  :-)

algoa@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Gregory Bowers) (02/08/91)

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) writes:

>[]
>jpn@castle.ed.ac.uk writes: Elements from all four home nations were
>involved in the Battle Of Britain

>And he seemed upset, my question is what are all four home nations?
>Just curious.  Why would he be so upset when people mention English and
>German planes anyway?  I am at a loss to understand what his complaint
>was.

>-Roger

>UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
>ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
>INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

I lived in England for one year when I was six, so I'm not really an expert,
but: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is made up of the
what is sometimes called the four home nations: England, Scotland, Wales and
Northern Ireland. England, Scotland and Wales make up Great Britain, and with
Northern Ireland, the United Kingdom.

Why did he seem upset. Perhaps because the English have long dominated the
UK, and the Scots, Welsh, and Irish get a little annoyed when the RAF, which
is British, is refered to as English. It's kinda like saying that BattleHawks
1942 allows one to fly Californian planes and Japanese planes, just because
California is the most populous state.

Now that I've said that, I know that most people use England, Britain and the
UK interchangeably. Anyway all those of you who didn't no what was what now
know. If I've made any mistakes please follow up to this article.

Now about the Flight Sims. Their Finest Hour is a great game, just a little slowon my A500. Great on a 3000 though. Also, I like F-19 Stealth Fighter, disk
stuff sucks (1 drive only, seems to use 512K, crashes when wrong disk is
inserted) but I love the game. Update is fast enough, plenty of missions. So
far, with little practice I completed a mission in Central Europe on the
hardest level with 970 pts. Finally Fighter Bomber: I don't like it when
an F-5 is gaining on my Strike Eagle with FULL AFTERBURNERS!!! So I don't
play it.

How about a game simulating a Panavia Tornado (not Fighter Bomber's
"simulation").

Amiga is die beste! 'n IBM is 'n rekenaar? Die Mac is net 'n vrot appel!
algoa@eecs.cs.pdx.edu    Portland TrailBlazers now 39-9 and KICKING ASS!

jimac@ferris.cray.com (Jim Macura) (02/08/91)

In article <7455@crash.cts.com> uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) writes:
>[]
>jpn@castle.ed.ac.uk writes: Elements from all four home nations were
>involved in the Battle Of Britain
>
>And he seemed upset, my question is what are all four home nations?
>Just curious.  Why would he be so upset when people mention English and
>German planes anyway?  I am at a loss to understand what his complaint
>was.
>
>-Roger

England, Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland.

Jim Macura.

owb@jt.dk (Owen Brotherwood) (02/17/91)

Umm...
I thought I would actually try to BUY a game today, and it would be a flight
Sim. of some sort.

Sure enough, just waiting on the shelfs of A....i, Aarhus was... There Finest
Shower.
Can it be installed on HD? .. yes .. my eyes light.

May I see it in action? .. no ..
May I bring it back if I don't like it? .. no .. (silly me)

It seems that the shop is very nervous that the disk may be harmed while he runsit on the shops Amiga.

I left the shop, now where is the nearest purate supplier ...

MVH