[comp.sys.amiga.games] CSB !Help!

gm@ionic.UUCP (Greg Miller) (01/20/91)

>In article <16431@venera.isi.edu> schur@isi.edu (Sean Schur) writes:
>
>When you go down these stairs, there is one doorway that it is possible to
>open on go down the hall. This is basically a dead end. However, there is
>a gate as well, which I have spent considerable time trying to figure out.
>There's a switch on the wall, which activates a blue mist in front of the
>door for a short period of time, but I can't get it to do anything. Sometimes
>when I throw things into the mist (have to be fast) they seem to disappear.
>But I can't actually tell if they are disappearing or just going through the
>gate.
>
>Does anyone know how to get through this gate?

 Well, as a matter of fact, even though I still cannot get to the other paths,
I have gone through Neta, and gotten that gate opened.  I usually just lure
a skeleton to near it, and use the Horn of Fear to back him into the
area where the mist is.  While he's in there, I active the mist, and
he's teleported to the other side.  If he stays on the other side for
long enough, two (watch out - there's always TWO) strikes of lightning
appear, and he's killed.  The door then opens.

 Sometimes, I can't keep him there long enough, and I have to lure another
skeleton into the area, and try again.  Usually by the 3rd try, I have it
open.

 Good luck, and if you manage to figure out how to get into ROS, DAIN, or
KU -please- tell me.  (Anyone else an expert on the Diabolical Demon
Director?  There're enough ST people out there who've solved it that I'm
SURE somebody knows.)

 - Greg

>                            \          /
>                             \   \    /      /
>Sean Schur                    \   \  /      /
>                               \   \/      /
>USENET: schur@isi.edu           \  /a\mpyr/
>Compuserve: 70731,1102           \/   \  / ideo
>Plink: OSS259                          \/

     | A sign of mismanagement, over-    |  Greg Miller               |
     | complication and overall idiocy:  |  ..ames!sharkey!ionic!gm   |
     |                                   |  gm@ionic.uucp             |
     |      "Designed By Committee"      |                            |

gm@ionic.UUCP (Greg Miller) (01/22/91)

>In article <512.279ab620@vger.nsu.edu> cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu writes:
>
>    I congratulate you guys on getting this far.  I've reached a point where
>I am making NO progress of any sort.
>
>I have been down all the paths from the junction of the four ways, although
>I'm pretty sure I haven't discovered everything there is to know about each
>of them.  But I get stymied at the end of each one.
>
>Right now, I am on the KU path.  There are two places that confound me. One:
>a staircase that ends in a blank wall.  I cannot find a single way to open it,
>get through it, etc.

 Very likely, this is one of a LOT of places in CSB that you must enter from
the other side to use.  Once you've walked through (from the other side)
the wall disappears, and never again poses a problem.  It's primarily to
allow shortcuts - but keep you from running through the game "out of order".

>Secondly, There is a place where a staircase goes up. At the top are hordes of
>golden spiders.  NOrmally, these are not a problem for me, but in this
>location, anything I try to do to them disappears into thin air.  It doesn't
>matter whether I try a magic spell or physical attack.  However, they can and
>do harm me.  Any hints??

 I honestly don't remember this place, but I'm pretty confident that I've
been everywhere in the lower levels.  It's possible that I walked in from
another entrance, and didn't have the problem.  It sounds terribly, though,
like your fireballs (or whatever) are getting turned by a spinner.  If you
can tell me how you got to this location (what path - roughly what level),
I'll search through my scribblings and see if I can find anything.

>I have yet to find the first piece of corbum.  I found the DDD once, but
>promptly lost it again and can't find my way back.

 CSB is laid out such that you complete the lower levels first, and then
travel to the DDD.  From there, you complete each of four paths - each
ending in a corbum.  So, unless you get through the DDD, you won't get a
corbum.

>Oh, one other question.  You know the room with all the water fountains and the
>stairs between two blue mists and two pressure plates?  Once I get up those
>stairs and turn left, how do I get past that pit in the corner?

 The only place I remember that's even similar to this is the room that you
fall into when you wait too long in the room labelled "Supplies For the
Quick".  However, I only remember one (maybe two) fountains in this room.
If this is the right place, then going up the stairs and left _would_
lead you to a pit.  However, getting across is requires that you be on the
path that you can see to the right (when facing the pit).  That path leads
you into the room where the game starts.  Getting across the pit will
only gain you a flask, and you can get to the other side by walking there
from the other side of the "Supplies" room.

>In quiet desperation.....
>Jean
>+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
>+                           +                                 +
>+ werjun@large              +  Don't undertake vast projects  +
>+ cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu  +      with half vast ideas.      +
>+                           +                                 +
>+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

 Now, for my own plea for help:

 Personally, I've managed to get through the DAIN, NETA, and KU paths of
the DDD.  After the first piece of corbum, I returned to the DDD.  (I
did NOT destroy it.  I assumed that I'd do that to all four at once.)
On a whim, I returned to the Fulya pit and destroyed the corbum.
I then made my way to the KU path, slaughtered some more knights (that
corridor is littered with armor), and suddenly, the wall that had
been barring my way disappeared.  Apparently, you need to destroy each
corbum in sequence to convince the game that you've "finished" a path.
I got through the DAIN path as well - simply by re-searching each of the
lower levels.  Apparently, I'd missed the Ruby key before (it was in a chest
on the level with the flying serpents) - and that alone got me into the
DAIN path.  The NETA path I'd already mastered.

 However, I still cannot figure out how to get into ROS.  There's a pit
barring my entrance, and I haven't the foggiest how to close it.
Near the entrance to the NETA path, there's an eye that the Hint Oracle
says "Ninjas show any object to the eye, to close the pit upstairs to the
left".  My greatest wizard is also my best ninja, and I've had him show
all sorts of objects to the eye - and the pit remained closed.  What's
wrong?  Are they talking about a different pit?

 I caught a message here by someone who said that it's non-functional unless
you enter the DDD from a certain path.  I've tried that, and received no
success.  Does anyone have any more detailed information?

 Thanks!

 - Greg

jgary@ms.uky.edu (James E. Gary) (01/23/91)

gm@ionic.UUCP (Greg Miller) writes:
>>In article <512.279ab620@vger.nsu.edu> cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu writes:
>>Secondly, There is a place where a staircase goes up. At the top are hordes of
>>golden spiders.  NOrmally, these are not a problem for me, but in this
>>location, anything I try to do to them disappears into thin air.  It doesn't
>>matter whether I try a magic spell or physical attack.  However, they can and
>>do harm me.  Any hints??

Patience. I got through with simple combat, attack and retreat, repeat,
repeat again, etc. I had no luck with magic so it was just hack and slay.
It was kinda boring, but for a while I moved my back two guys forward and
they got raised a level in fighting. Since magic spells weren't working
I was able to use the mana for loads of healing potions so I didn't have
to sleep much. They can be killed, they are just tough. You may be upset
after you get through though, it is just a small room (with a skeleton
keyhole) then up another set of stairs where you have to face a bunch
of ant men and apparently you can't blast them either. I spent a long
time fighting in this area. Good luck.
 James Gary, BA,MS,SWM      U. of Kentucky       jgary@ms.uky.edu
"I am hungover on life."

2fmlempire@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (02/12/91)

> Actually, when you turn off the mist and throw something on the floor plate
> something does happen, just not what you (or I) thought would happen
> or what we think should happen (according to the hint oracle). If you
> come down those stairs from the NETA path and press the button on the
> wall to turn off the mist, throw something at the floor plate from there.
> Turn around and look and a stairway will open up going down from there.
> I thought this was supposed to close the pit also, but it just opens the
> stairs. Unfortunately, there are just more problems down those stairs.
>
> Which leads me to my question:
>
> When you go down these stairs, there is one doorway that it is possible to
> open on go down the hall. This is basically a dead end. However, there is
> a gate as well, which I have spent considerable time trying to figure out.
> There's a switch on the wall, which activates a blue mist in front of the
> door for a short period of time, but I can't get it to do anything. Sometimes
> when I throw things into the mist (have to be fast) they seem to disappear.
> But I can't actually tell if they are disappearing or just going through the
> gate.
>
> Does anyone know how to get through this gate?

Well, you know those regenerating skeletal warriors?  (I'm pretty sure I
know where you are) You have to use the horn of fear to get one of them
to back up into the doorway, then punch the green button and teleport them.
They will appear on the other side of the door (which will activate a
lightning bolt launcher and nail them.)  When the stuff they are carrying
drops to the ground, the door will open.

David Poland
2fmlempire@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

cseaman@sequent.UUCP (Chris "The Bartman" Seaman) (02/13/91)

2fmlempire@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:

[ Description of level below the DDD with regenerating skeletons... ]

< > Does anyone know how to get through this gate?
<
< Well, you know those regenerating skeletal warriors?  (I'm pretty sure I
< know where you are) You have to use the horn of fear to get one of them
< to back up into the doorway, then punch the green button and teleport them.
< They will appear on the other side of the door (which will activate a
< lightning bolt launcher and nail them.)  When the stuff they are carrying
< drops to the ground, the door will open.

OK, I've seen this lightning bolt business mentioned about a dozen
times.  I'm puzzled.  I've gone through this section 3 times (to try to
reproduce this effect), and it has never happened.  After I teleport
the skeleton beyond the gate, I hear the sound of lightning bolts
exploding IN THE DISTANCE, but they have never zapped the skeleton.  I
always have to use an OH VEN spell (and usually a magic box) on the
critter to open the gate.

What gives?

Chris

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |  /|__|\__/|__|\
cseaman@gateway.sequent.com <or>  | |              |     Where does he get

Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Stewart Mckinnon) (02/14/91)

RE: LIGHTENING BOLTS DESTROY SKELETON ON OTHER SIDE OF GATE>>> Well,
YES, there is a question about whether the bolts destroy the Skeleton.
When I played the game the first time, the bolts desroyed the Skeleton,
he dropped his shield and sword, causing the door to open. I got this
to work 5 or 6 times! However, I have "CHAOS STRIKES BACK...ADVENTURER'S
HANDBOOK" and it is documented in there that you have to destroy the
Skeleton yourself! A friend of mine found that he had to destroy the
Skeleton, it didn't work with him. So, there is really a discrepancy
here...oh, well! Onward! Forever onward!

--
Stewart Mckinnon - via FidoNet node 1:221/171
UUCP    : watmath!xenitec!zswamp!178.0!Stewart.Mckinnon

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (02/17/91)

When you go through the NETA way, and trap a skeleton behind the iron
grate door, he's killed by a "bolt from above"... (the Way of the Priest)

When you go through the ROS way, and trap a skeleton behind the iron
grate door, it's up to you and your Ninjas to kill him...

There are many rocks on the floor to give you an idea about how to kill
the skeleton...   (daggers, arrows and suchlike will do the trick as well..
poison missiles and poison clouds will also go through the iron grate door)

BobR