[comp.sys.amiga.games] Sierra Games

glmwc@iceman.jcu.oz (Matthew W Crowd) (11/17/90)

I've just bought King's Quest 1->4. These are the first games I have
ever bought and I'm planning on playing them in the UNI christmas
holidays.

Question 1:- How long (on average) will it take to complete each
             Quest if i sit on the game for about 4 hours a day?

         2:- Are there any record times for finishing Sierra Games?
             eg. 2 days flat out!!

         3:- Would it be worth buying the Hint Books or just posting
             to the net with problems.

     =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
       Amiga :         ///  |  Matthew Crowd
       There          ///   |  Research Assistant
       is no      \\\///    |  James Cook University
       substitute  \XX/     |  email : <glmwc@marlin.jcu.edu.au>
     =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

steves@pnet01.cts.com (Stephen Scheck) (02/12/91)

specter@disk.uucp (Byron Max Guernsey) writes:
>How come noone ever sells Sierra Games?? If anyone has some old Sierra games,
>post them and prices, otherwise I have to go order them new.
>
>Byron

Steve

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!steves
ARPA: crash!pnet01!steves@nosc.mil
INET: steves@pnet01.cts.com

steves@pnet01.cts.com (Stephen Scheck) (02/12/91)

Ooops! please disregard last message. Should read as follows:

specter@disk.uucp (Byron Max Guernsey) writes:
>How come noone ever sells Sierra Games?? If anyone has some old Sierra games,
>post them and prices, otherwise I have to go order them new.
>
>Byron

Probably because the graphics suck so bad nobody buys them.

specter@disk.uucp (Byron Max Guernsey) (02/14/91)

In article <7526@crash.cts.com>, steves@pnet01.cts.com (Stephen Scheck) writes:
> Ooops! please disregard last message. Should read as follows:
>
> specter@disk.uucp (Byron Max Guernsey) writes:
> >How come noone ever sells Sierra Games?? If anyone has some old Sierra games,
> >post them and prices, otherwise I have to go order them new.
> >
> >Byron
>
> Probably because the graphics suck so bad nobody buys them.
>
> Steve
>
> UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!steves
> ARPA: crash!pnet01!steves@nosc.mil
> INET: steves@pnet01.cts.com

I doubt that someone who buys games just for the graphics could solve one.
I wanted a serious reply. The graphics suck on zork too, but it stills sells.
:) Geez and how graphic is the card game poker? People play them for fun, not
just graphics. If I wanted graphics I would go buy SOB II.

My vote for the game with the best graphics goes to Beyond Zork. There are NO
better graphics than what your imagination can create. Sierra Games just
add the "graphic" interface to give it a 3-dimensional feel and add more to
game play.

But for those that still damand graphics, Sierra ahas made Kings Quest V and
is working on Space Quest IV. They already screwed up big time by taking
out the command interface and replacing it with icons.

Maybe SQ III will be better. I hear it will have scrolling. UGH. I like the
old simple format better. Give me a game that takes little space on my HD,
alot of space in my imagination, and alot of intelligence to solve and I'll
give you a best seller. :)

Byron
--
Byron 'Maxwell' Guernsey                         |       ///  //\\
specter@disk.UUCP     or                         |      ///  //  \\

ifarqhar@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) (02/14/91)

In article <1991Feb14.043508.8221@disk.uucp> specter@disk.uucp (Byron Max Guernsey) writes:

>I doubt that someone who buys games just for the graphics could solve one.
>I wanted a serious reply. The graphics suck on zork too, but it stills sells.
>:) Geez and how graphic is the card game poker? People play them for fun, not
>just graphics. If I wanted graphics I would go buy SOB II.

But Infocom never advertised Zork as having realistic "3D" graphics, and
Sierra do.  One thing that could have been said about Infocom is that
when they were beig, they were at the forfront of technology.  I mean,
that parser looks pretty good even today, and it was first released in
the early 70's on DEC machines.

>But for those that still damand graphics, Sierra ahas made Kings Quest V and
>is working on Space Quest IV. They already screwed up big time by taking
>out the command interface and replacing it with icons.

Although I agree that icon-driven adventures are an abomination, the
Sierra parser looked as if it had been written by a first year CS
student in Basic (well, maybe not that bad, but it is extremely dumb.)
They haven't done much damage, because there was nothing worthwhile to
damage anyway.

--
Ian Farquhar                      Phone : + 61 2 805-9400
Office of Computing Services      Fax   : + 61 2 805-7433

specter@disk.uucp (Byron Max Guernsey) (02/17/91)

ifarqhar@sunb.mqcc.mq.oz.au (Ian Farquhar) writes:

>Sierra do.  One thing that could have been said about Infocom is that
>when they were beig, they were at the forfront of technology.  I mean,
>that parser looks pretty good even today, and it was first released in
>the early 70's on DEC machines.

The parser in the PAWN is one of the best I have seen. I also really liked
the pawns ability to look at MAny many many objects. I hope that when CD
games come out, advanced parsers will be on their list of projects. You
could develope entire intricately detailed worlds on a cd.

And the reason I defend Sierra is because I have had so much fun playing
their games. Space Quest III was great! I loved the humor! I believe
they did a very good job on it. The only other game of theirs I have played
to resolution is LSL. Both were enjoyable, but I liked Space Quest III
the most. I have not seen many of the Kings Quest series and Police
Quest.

Byron

--
 / /\ \/       \ /\ |---|  /\  /     \    |---|   /O---------------------------O
/ /  \/   /\  /_/  \_| |-------------------| |   / |The Legendary City of Frore|

lron@easy.hiam.com (Dwight Hubbard) (02/17/91)

In article <7608@crash.cts.com>, Stephen Scheck writes:

> specter@disk.uucp (Byron Max Guernsey) writes:
> >
> >I doubt that someone who buys games just for the graphics could solve one.
> >I wanted a serious reply. The graphics suck on zork too, but it stills sells.
> >:) Geez and how graphic is the card game poker? People play them for fun, not
> >just graphics. If I wanted graphics I would go buy SOB II.
> >
> >My vote for the game with the best graphics goes to Beyond Zork. There are NO
> >better graphics than what your imagination can create. Sierra Games just
> >add the "graphic" interface to give it a 3-dimensional feel and add more to
> >game play.
> >
> >But for those that still damand graphics, Sierra ahas made Kings Quest V and
> >is working on Space Quest IV. They already screwed up big time by taking
> >out the command interface and replacing it with icons.
> >
> >Maybe SQ III will be better. I hear it will have scrolling. UGH. I like the
> >old simple format better. Give me a game that takes little space on my HD,
> >alot of space in my imagination, and alot of intelligence to solve and I'll
> >give you a best seller. :)
> >
> >Byron 'Maxwell' Guernsey
>
> Actually, I agree with you. I'd rather have a playable game than one with
> great graphics but lame playability. I was just taking a cheap shot at Sierra
> for using ugly dither patterns when they could have used more colors. I havn't
> played Sierra games, but I have seen them being played, and the graphics and
> slow animation were pathetic.
>
> My complaint is that they give us direct IBM ports and don't spend a little
> extra time to support the Amiga's capabilities (like blitter).

Well, I agree about the playability but you would think if Sierra is going to
make the game in 16 colors they would at least use high-res.  After all if
they are porting from the PC the least they could do would be to use something
other than the EGA version as a starting point (how hard could it be to write
a program to convert from VGA to hires 16 colors or something a little more
usefull) besides their animation is SLOWWWWWW.  But the worst part is I was
actually dumb enough to buy the Amiga version of Lesuire Suit Larry III.
-Dwight Hubbard                     USENET  : uunet!easy!lron
-Kaneohe, Hawaii                    CFR     : 31:910/101 (Dwight Hubbard)

steves@pnet01.cts.com (Stephen Scheck) (02/18/91)