[comp.sys.amiga.games] Emerald Mine

stelmack@screamer.csee.usf.edu (Gregory M. Stelmack) (09/16/90)

Someone mentioned this game in a post of good arcade games.

I played this one once, and thought it was great, but haven't seen it for sale
recently. Anybody know where I can find a copy? I loved the game, but have
never been able to find a copy, and Rockford doesn't come close...

-- Greg Stelmack
-- Email: stelmack@sol.csee.usf.edu
-- USmail: USF Box 1510, Tampa, FL 33620-1510
-- Amiga: the only way to compute!

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (09/17/90)

In article <1990Sep17.084656@sardaigne.inria.fr> buffa@mirsa.inria.fr writes:
>me. The game is by KingSoft, a German or English company.
>that they left Kingsoft, that Kingsoft has been bought by another company...
>a real mess !!!
>
>PS: I can post here some extra levels for emerald mines if people are
>interested.

How do ya put extra levels on the game?
i saw a E
M Em editor a long tima ago...... in a computer store far far awsay for $40
ICK!!!!!.

well I still haven't gotten allway on the original.
but more mazes is good mazes!
.

--
yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) (09/18/90)

In article <1990Sep17.084656@sardaigne.inria.fr> buffa@mirsa.inria.fr writes:
:In article <35@screamer.csee.usf.edu>, stelmack@screamer.csee.usf.edu
:(Gregory M. Stelmack) writes:
:> Someone mentioned this game in a post of good arcade games.
:>
:> I played this one once, and thought it was great, but haven't seen it for
:sale
:> recently. Anybody know where I can find a copy? I loved the game, but have
:> never been able to find a copy, and Rockford doesn't come close...
:
:Well, EMERALD MINES is far the best Boulderdash-type game on the Amiga.
:Unfortunately, it's a very old game, and it's not available now. This is
:really a shame because this game is one of the best EVER made on the amiga,
:fantastic gameplay, smooth scroll, and an ideal system for saving your scores
:and progression. In europe, an EMERALD MINES club exists, and provides to its
:members extra data disks (13 are available now), a tutorial disk and a level
:editor.

	I'd be very interested in getting those data disks... Are they
compatible with Emerald Mine II data disks?

:If somebody has got more information about the availability of this game, tell
:me. The game is by KingSoft, a German or English company.
:
:In the case the game is not available, I can send a copy of mine, because it's
:not protected, and in this case, I don't call this piracy.

	Careful here... It's still piracy, even if the game isn't being
sold. the correct method is to get ahold of the authors and try to get
distribution rights. After all this time, they may be willing to release
the executable as freely distributable, but intil they do, it can't be
distributed without violating thier copyrights.

:By the way, the club told me that they contacted the authors of the game, and
:that they left Kingsoft, that Kingsoft has been bought by another company...
:a real mess !!!
:
:More information ?
:
:PS: I can post here some extra levels for emerald mines if people are
:interested.

	Yes!

:------------------------------------------
:Michel Buffa:       Projet Robotvis, INRIA, France
:
:    Internet:       buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr
:Surface Mail:       Michel BUFFA, INRIA - Sophia Antipolis,
:                    2004, route des Lucioles, 06565 Valbonne Cedex -- FRANCE
: Voice phone:       (33) 93.65.78.39, Fax: (33) 93 65 77 65
:------------------------------------------

--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
Bejed, Inc.       NES, Inc.        Northwest Amiga Group    At Home Sometimes

In article <1990Sep17.141622.22490@ecn.purdue.edu> yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:
:In article <1990Sep17.084656@sardaigne.inria.fr> buffa@mirsa.inria.fr writes:
:>me. The game is by KingSoft, a German or English company.
:>that they left Kingsoft, that Kingsoft has been bought by another company...
:>a real mess !!!
:>
:>PS: I can post here some extra levels for emerald mines if people are
:>interested.
:
:How do ya put extra levels on the game?
:i saw a EM editor a long tima ago... in a computer store far far away for $40
:ICK!!!!!.

	That was Emerald Mine II, not just a level editor. It was an updated
version of Emerald mine with all new (harder!) levels and the level editor.
Very nice, but much tougher than the original Emerald Mine.

:well I still haven't gotten allway on the original.
:but more mazes is good mazes!
:
:--
:yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu  Willis F York
:/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
:\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--

baggins@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (William Segall) (09/18/90)

billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) writes:

>In article <1990Sep17.141622.22490@ecn.purdue.edu> yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:
>:How do ya put extra levels on the game?
>:i saw a EM editor a long tima ago... in a computer store far far away for $40
>:ICK!!!!!.

>	That was Emerald Mine II, not just a level editor. It was an updated
>version of Emerald mine with all new (harder!) levels and the level editor.
>Very nice, but much tougher than the original Emerald Mine.

So tell me how I get through level 22 before I self-immolate. I
don't have enough time, and I know there must be a trick to it!
It's killing me.

Bill.

buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr (Michel Buffa) (09/18/90)

nfs1675@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil ( Michael S Figg) (09/18/90)

In article <35@screamer.csee.usf.edu>, stelmack@screamer.csee.usf.edu (Gregory M. Stelmack) writes:
> Someone mentioned this game in a post of good arcade games.
>
> I played this one once, and thought it was great, but haven't seen it for sale
> recently. Anybody know where I can find a copy? I loved the game, but have
> never been able to find a copy, and Rockford doesn't come close...
>
> -- Greg Stelmack

I searched for this game for about a year and a half without luck. It seemed
to disappear completely shortly after AmigaWorld chose it as best game
available for the Amiga. I don't generally condone pirating but if nobody
has it available for sale that it might be the only alternative, and I'm
not sure it is pirating if it is not being distributed. I sprang for
Rockford hoping it would be similar but was very disappointed.

---Mike,

--
A man said to the Universe "Sir, I exist!" | Michael Figg  DSAC-FSD
"However," replied the Universe,           | DLA Systems Automation Center

billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) (09/19/90)

In article <4904@uqcspe.cs.uq.oz.au> baggins@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au writes:
:billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) writes:
:
:>	That was Emerald Mine II, not just a level editor. It was an updated
:>version of Emerald mine with all new (harder!) levels and the level editor.
:>Very nice, but much tougher than the original Emerald Mine.
:
:So tell me how I get through level 22 before I self-immolate. I
:don't have enough time, and I know there must be a trick to it!
:It's killing me.

	Gee, I'm supposed to remember when I'm here at work and don't
have the game in front of me. (For some reason, they frown on joysticks
at work...) I'll boot it up at home someday soon and see what the level
look like. I know I got farther than that though.

:Bill.

--

hassinger@lmrc.uucp (Bob Hassinger) (09/24/90)

In article <1990Sep17.191258.13604@agora.uucp>, billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Simmer) writes:
> In article <1990Sep17.084656@sardaigne.inria.fr> buffa@mirsa.inria.fr writes:
> :In article <35@screamer.csee.usf.edu>, stelmack@screamer.csee.usf.edu
> :(Gregory M. Stelmack) writes:
> :> Someone mentioned this game in a post of good arcade games.
> :>
> :> I played this one once, and thought it was great, but haven't seen it for
> :sale
> :> recently. Anybody know where I can find a copy? I loved the game, but have
> :> never been able to find a copy, and Rockford doesn't come close...
> 	I'd be very interested in getting those data disks... Are they
> compatible with Emerald Mine II data disks?
>
> :If somebody has got more information about the availability of this game, tell
> :me. The game is by KingSoft, a German or English company.
> :
> :In the case the game is not available, I can send a copy of mine, because it's
> :not protected, and in this case, I don't call this piracy.
>
> 	Careful here... It's still piracy, even if the game isn't being
> sold. the correct method is to get ahold of the authors and try to get
> distribution rights. After all this time, they may be willing to release
> the executable as freely distributable, but intil they do, it can't be
> distributed without violating thier copyrights.

I checked at The Memory Location this weekend and found they have Emerald Mine
in stock again, now as a package deal - Emerald Mine plus Emerald Mine II.  The
package was marked at $42.

Looks like it is back on the market and exchanging copies would not be
legitimate.

billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) (09/25/90)

In article <8095@lmrc.uucp> hassinger@lmrc.uucp (Bob Hassinger) writes:
:In article <1990Sep17.191258.13604@agora.uucp>, billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) writes
:: In article <1990Sep17.084656@sardaigne.inria.fr> buffa@mirsa.inria.fr writes:
:...
:::In the case the game is not available, I can send a copy of mine, because
:::it's not protected, and in this case, I don't call this piracy.
::
:: 	Careful here... It's still piracy, even if the game isn't being
:: sold. the correct method is to get ahold of the authors and try to get
:: distribution rights. After all this time, they may be willing to release
:: the executable as freely distributable, but intil they do, it can't be
:: distributed without violating thier copyrights.
:...
:
:I checked at The Memory Location this weekend and found they have Emerald Mine
:in stock again, now as a package deal - Emerald Mine plus Emerald Mine II.  The
:package was marked at $42.
:
:Looks like it is back on the market and exchanging copies would not be
:legitimate.

	Great news! Do you know who'd doing the distribution? Is it an
European distribution imported into the states, or a US company? Or was
The Memory Location just cleaning old stock? :-)

	Still waiting for data disks... I hope they will show up in the US.

--

hassinger@lmrc.uucp (Bob Hassinger) (09/28/90)

In article <1990Sep25.163242.27668@agora.uucp>, billsey@agora.uucp (Bill Seymour) writes:
> In article <8095@lmrc.uucp> hassinger@lmrc.uucp (Bob Hassinger) writes:
> :I checked at The Memory Location this weekend and found they have Emerald Mine
> :in stock again, now as a package deal - Emerald Mine plus Emerald Mine II.  The
> :package was marked at $42.
> 	Great news! Do you know who'd doing the distribution? Is it an
> European distribution imported into the states, or a US company? Or was
> The Memory Location just cleaning old stock? :-)
No, I did not notice who is doing the distribution.  If you *must* know, as a
last resort you could give Don a call at 617/237-6846.

It was clear to me that it was new stock as far as the store was concerned.
Don had been "unable to get it" for a long time.  I can't be certain if it was
old or new stock from the point of view of the distributor, but it certainly
appeared to be renewed availability to the store from the distributor.

qarl@wucs1.wustl.edu (Karl Stiefvater) (02/15/91)

Help!

I have recently dusted off my Emerald Mine disk and have begun playing...
As have many of my coworkers in the office...

Unfortunately, my disk has gotten bad, and three of my levels have
been eaten by bad sectors. They are levels 45, 47, and 48.  If some kind
soul on the net has Emerald Mine, could he tar/compress/uuencode/zoo/arc
those levels and mail them to me? I'd be grateful for the rest of time...

(By the way, the files I specifically need are "ae5" "ae7" and "ae8")

THANKS
-  Karl

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) (02/16/91)

In article <1991Feb15.002814.7516@cec1.wustl.edu> qarl@wucs1.wustl.edu (Karl Stiefvater) writes:

>Help!
>
>I have recently dusted off my Emerald Mine disk and have begun playing...
>As have many of my coworkers in the office...

Speaking of Emerald Mine, how do you drop dynomite sticks?  I managed to do it
once, but cannot seem to repeat the action.

I have tried pressing the fire button, pressing the fire button repeatedly as
fast as I can, holding the joystick in various positions while firing fast or
while holding the fire button in, and I cannot seem to drop those sticks!  But
I know it can be done, because it worked for me just once.

Any clues?
--
            _.
--Steve   ._||__      DISCLAIMER: All opinions are my own.

bosman@fwi.uva.nl (02/18/91)

swarren@convex.com (Steve Warren) writes:

>In article <1991Feb15.002814.7516@cec1.wustl.edu> qarl@wucs1.wustl.edu (Karl Stiefvater) writes:
>>

>>Help!
>>
>>I have recently dusted off my Emerald Mine disk and have begun playing...
>>As have many of my coworkers in the office...

>Speaking of Emerald Mine, how do you drop dynomite sticks?  I managed to do it
>once, but cannot seem to repeat the action.

Just press the button for about 2-3 seconds until you see the stick
and step at least 2 positions
away or you're history (be sure you HAVE the sticks )
--
|bosman@fwi.uva.nl //     |  Dont't loose your head,to gain a minute,   |
|              \\ //AMIGA |  you need your head,your brains are in it.  |

chris@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (Chris Wood) (02/19/91)

Move to where you want to blow up something.
Hold down the fire button.
When it starts ticking, let go of the fire button and run like hell.

Simple to do, Hard to figure out without killing yourself.

Chris Wood
chris@austin.lockheed.com