[comp.sys.amiga.games] Turrican questions

rtrevino@fornax.apsys.cirt.unm.edu (Roy Trevino) (02/18/91)

Just a few questions for turrican players/fans:

1)  Does anyone (else) have the problem that a random disk must be inserted
    into the second drive before the game will boot completely?  After hours
    of playing I almost went into a panic when all I got was the title music.
    Luckily, powermonger documents that the unused drive may need to be full
    to save a game, so I gave it a try and it worked for booting turrican!
    Any theories on why this might happen?

2)  For people who have finished, or come close:  what joystick are you
    using!!?!?!  My epyx 500 fails miserably.  I am able to get by with
    a similar Wico but it is still painful on the diagonal jumps, of
    which many are required.  I previously thought the above joysticks
    were the greatest ever made, but after turrican....

3)  And finally...and this is probably a dumb question...how do you get off
    of the infernal last level 4-3??? (At least I think it's the last one -
    few or no enemies, blood dripping everywhere, etc, (kind of boring
    actually.))  After losing 100's of men on that level and exploring every
    last nook, I can't find my way out!  It must be obvious, but...would
    someone just tell me?  :-)

Thanks in advance,
Roy

lord_zar@ucrmath.ucr.edu (wayne wallace) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb18.032636.12388@ariel.unm.edu> rtrevino@fornax.apsys.cirt.unm.edu (Roy Trevino) writes:

>Just a few questions for turrican players/fans:
>
>1)  Does anyone (else) have the problem that a random disk must be inserted

I have had no problems there, except my high scores are not saved. Maybe
I'll try it out...

>2)  For people who have finished, or come close:  what joystick are you
>    using!!?!?!  My epyx 500 fails miserably.  I am able to get by with
>    a similar Wico but it is still painful on the diagonal jumps, of
>    which many are required.  I previously thought the above joysticks
>    were the greatest ever made, but after turrican....

I used an Epyx 500XJ with autofire and a second button. :)
However, I can easily do diagonal jumps with it. I have found that a little
bit of practice was needed, so try just starting a game and staying in
the beginning area until you can do diagonal jumps at will, and YES, I did
use my Epyx to go ALL THE WAY UP those vertical platforms that required
diagonal jumps. Know thine own joystick.

>3)  And finally...and this is probably a dumb question...how do you get off
>    of the infernal last level 4-3??? (At least I think it's the last one -
>Thanks in advance,
>Roy

Okay, you wimp :) Here's your spoiler, and yes, I did have to use cheat mode
to find the exit (99 men), but I found it with 17 men left.

Here it is. there's a ^L so you can skip to the next article if you don't want
to read it....

you sure ?

last chance...

Okay, you know how, up at the top of level 4-3, there's four series of vertical
platforms ? go to the third set (the middle set if there are only three sets,
but I recall four.) and you want to take the left path branching up. explore
there, jump to reach teeny ledges you thought you couldn't make, and eventually
you get up top to the REAL area. you go right when faced with high ceiling and
a floor left and right, go up the vertical platforms, avoiding or shooting
those damn birds when possible, going across the horizontal platforms at the
top, and when you rech the left side of the screen, with seemingly no exits,
fall down to the LEFT, and PUSH THE JOYSTICK LEFT. Since you can control your
fall, you want to fall left onto a ledge, go left, and fight the monster.
I forget if this monster was on level 2 or 3, but if you see a little cubbyhole
to jump to when fighting it, go there and just shoot. (this is a square monster
that moves counter-clockwise around the screen.) The monster will kill you by
pushing you into a corner and damaging you if you don't go to the cubbyhole.
See how easy it was ? you just need a better memory for maps mein freund, and
no, i don't mean draw maps, I mean keeping them in your head :)

Wayne