[comp.sys.amiga.games] Best sports game ever

AAW450@uriacc.uri.edu (brian) (02/12/91)

       Well if you like a game that combines sports like hockey,football,handba
ll,and soccer,Speed Ball 2 is the answer.I have to say this is the best sports
game for the amiga to date,maybe even the best game overall.
                 The game is a combination of sports with the added twist of
  trying to kill the  other player.The field is set up like a soccer field.As t
he metallic ball rises from the center you can punch,throw or kill your way to
the opponents goal.Also there is a team editor where you can buy superstar play
ers w/ the money you get from each win.
           The graphics are superb.The play is even better.And the music is not
hing to scarf at.I advice everyone to pick up this game,Speed ball 2.
                             brian(aaw450@uriacc)

edg@ingres.com (Ed Goldman) (02/15/91)

In article <44384@nigel.ee.udel.edu> AAW450@uriacc.uri.edu (brian) writes:

>       Well if you like a game that combines sports like hockey,football,handba
>ll,and soccer,Speed Ball 2 is the answer.I have to say this is the best sports
>game for the amiga to date,maybe even the best game overall.

I second this one, it's brilliant!  One of my favorite games and I'm not even
a big fan of the sports game genre.  You can play head-to-head or vs computer.
The computer is pretty tough to beat, but gets easier with practice.  I've got
blisters on my hand and possible nerve damage from playing this one!  It's a
joystick-wagger.

Is this genrally available in the states?  I ordered mine from the UK.

-edg-

bard@jessica.stanford.edu (David Hopper) (02/15/91)

In article <1991Feb14.233041.16597@ingres.Ingres.COM> edg@Ingres.COM (Ed Goldman) writes:
>In article <44384@nigel.ee.udel.edu> AAW450@uriacc.uri.edu (brian) writes:
[about how SpeedBall II is a fantastic game]

>I second this one, it's brilliant!  One of my favorite games and I'm not even
>a big fan of the sports game genre.  You can play head-to-head or vs computer.
>The computer is pretty tough to beat, but gets easier with practice.  I've got
>blisters on my hand and possible nerve damage from playing this one!  It's a
>joystick-wagger.

Could we get a brief synopsis of the game?  I have the first SpeedBall, and it
is by far the best arcade game I own.  It sounds like exactly what you
described, though-- what makes number 2 different?

>-edg-

Dave Hopper      |      /// The Amiga:      | The great strength of the total-
                 | __  ///                  | itarian state is that it forces
bard@jessica.    | \\\/// The Cybernetic    | those who fear it to imitate it.
   Stanford.EDU  |  \XX/ Revolution is NOW! |               --Adolph Hitler

kl2m+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kenny Liu) (02/17/91)

Speedball 2 has smoother and better graphics, ability to enhance players
in about 8 stats, ability to trade for superstar players (using money
which could have been used to enhace abilities), and a lot of other
things which make this game even better than the first.

edg@ingres.com (Ed Goldman) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb15.053139.19489@portia.Stanford.EDU> bard@jessica.stanford.edu (David Hopper) writes:
>In article <1991Feb14.233041.16597@ingres.Ingres.COM> edg@Ingres.COM (Ed Goldman) writes:
>>In article <44384@nigel.ee.udel.edu> AAW450@uriacc.uri.edu (brian) writes:
>[about how SpeedBall II is a fantastic game]
>>
>Could we get a brief synopsis of the game?  I have the first SpeedBall, and it
>is by far the best arcade game I own.  It sounds like exactly what you
>described, though-- what makes number 2 different?
>
>Dave Hopper      |      /// The Amiga:      | The great strength of the total-
>                 | __  ///                  | itarian state is that it forces
>bard@jessica.    | \\\/// The Cybernetic    | those who fear it to imitate it.
>   Stanford.EDU  |  \XX/ Revolution is NOW! |               --Adolph Hitler

I've never played SB I, but here's what I know about II:

- Bigger play area than 1
- single player modes: Cup, Knockout, League, and Practice
- Player attributes which may be increased for cash: aggression, intelligence,
  attacking (tackling), power, stamina, throwing, speed, defence.
- Each of the attributes is represented by upgrades to your players' armour.
  Upgrades may be purchased between rounds, or picked on the playing field
  when a player runs over the appropriate icon.
- Star players (who have extermely high attributes) may be picked up on the
  market when available (Cup and League modes only) for cash.
- There's about 10-12 other playfield icons that affect gameplay and last for
  about 6 seconds when they appear and are run over.  (i.e. opposition can't
  move for 6 seconds, can't be tackled for 6 seconds, etc ...).  You get
  moeny by picking up coin icons on the field.
- There's several ways of getting points: goals, goal multipliers, lighting
  stars in certain areas, rebounding ball off of a bumper, knocking an
  opposing player out of the game.

If you liked the first one, I'm sure you'll love this one.

-edg-