[comp.sys.amiga.games] Lemmings released. Psygnosis protects disks...A Solution!

dylan@cs.washington.edu (Dylan McNamee) (02/20/91)

> mcgowen@saturn.ucsc.edu (Richard McGowen) writes:
>
>I know this subject has been beat to death but I still don't understand why
> ... stuff ...
>Closing thought:
>
>+-> many people who would buy games that are otherwise wonderful are not doing
>|  so SOLELY because of the copy protection ----> which means that fewer copies
>|  are sold ----> higher prices and better pirate versions ----> more
>|  piracy  ---->  more copy protection so --+
>|          	                             |
>+-------------------------------------------+
>
>COME ON COMPANIES, lets break this cycle.

I agree there's a cycle, and that companies could try to break it...
On the other hand (Yea, this is obligatory) there are pirates that would pirate
and distribute a game as hot as Lemmings if it had no copy protection at all.
The pirates should break the cycle.  Or, if they want to change their names
from pirates to philanthropists, they could "crack" the game, and send out
patches...Much like the DM-on-a-HD patch out there.-OR-

After about 3-5 months after a game has been released, that most of
the copies of a game that are _ever_ going to be sold already have been.  Maybe
as a gimmick to sell more copies, after 5 months or so, the company could
re-release the game, unprotected, with a $5 upgrade fee to those that bought
it already.  Like "major screen releases" and then the videocassette release.

It could work!  Imagine:  speedball, turrican, lemmings, targis, etc, all
on HD's and all selling twice (or more) as many copies...incredible!
So we have to wait for the "prime" games...that's the price we pay for bliss.

>Richard McGowen

dylan
--
dylan mcnamee             / "Ten Years After WWIV...there wasn't much to do;
dylan@cs.washington.edu \/all the bowling alleys were wrecked, so I spent most