[comp.sys.amiga.games] A good War Game?

bill@dmntor.UUCP (Bill Kyle) (02/14/91)

OK, I have enough simulations and too many "dungeon/dragon" games.
What are some of the better War Games around? I would like something
that requires 1 Meg, so as I'm not stiffed with a renamed repackaged
converted C64 game.

I have seen some nicely packaged Japanese war games, are they any good?

Your advice is appreciated!!

Bill

hounsell@nmerh4.BNR.CA (Rob Hounsell) (02/16/91)

In article <1991Feb14.133811.3538@dmntor.UUCP>, bill@dmntor.UUCP (Bill
Kyle) writes:
|> OK, I have enough simulations and too many "dungeon/dragon" games.
|> What are some of the better War Games around?

  Depends upon what kind of War Game you want. I enjoy Harpoon, which is a
computer-aided version of the now-famous board game used by the US Naval
College. You control things at the strategic level, and leave the tactical work
to the computer. No hex grids or anything like that; it takes place in the
North Atlantic, pitting NATO against the Soviets. You must control aircraft
patrol areas, the course of submarines and surface vessels, their sensors
(sonar/air radar/surface radar), etc. There are about 12 scenarios, ranging
from small 8-ship engagements up to a grand battle. It takes a while to play a
scenario out.

  I recommend the game, with one caveat: I first saw it on my brother's A500
when I took the game home for Xmas, and because of the 1M chip ram some mouse
operations were rather slow. However, I usually run it on my A1000 with a LUCAS
accellerator ('020) and 2M of fast ram, and there's no "slowness" at all...

Rob

will@waf2000 (Will Fiveash/100000) (02/17/91)

A small word of warning, Harpoon has some bugs and although they are not
fatal they are irritating.  One example is the time a helicopter that was
part of the main task force ran out of fuel and crashed because I could
not order it to land??? Others have complained about the computers handling
of the automatic defense systems.  This is a game that would benefit
from another crank through the refinement cycle.

While I am on the subject there is another game which may or may not
still be available called White Death, a simulation of a Russian/German
battle in WWII, which has even bigger problems.  The interface is
lousy, you may not have workbench loaded when playing, and I can get
the game to crash reliably.

I would like to see more stragetic games that take real advantage of the
Amiga's capabilities and if you know of any newer ones, lets hear about
it.
--

Will Fiveash cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!waf2000!will

rhunt@icard.med.unc.edu (Rick Hunt) (02/18/91)

I would highly recommend Second Front from SSI to anyone who likes
classic, detailed wargames.  It is a simulation of the invasion of Russia
in WWII.  The scale is 1 week turns, 20 mile hexes and corps sized units.
The player can control the units down to the scale of battalions as to
what kinds of armored vehicles it contains.  The air war is also fairly
detailed and the losses are measured in individual planes of each type.

The user interface is simple and similar to the IBM, but is quite useable.
There are pull down menus, but they tend not to be used once the keyboard
commands are learned.  The graphics are not spectacular, but serve their
purpose.  They are clean and functional instead of flashy.

There are a couple of minor bugs, but nothing of consequence.  SSI is
offering a free upgrade that is supposed to fix them.  The biggest
complaint I have is that the same game feature doesn't even have a simple
file requestor and you have to rememeber the names of the files on the
disk yourself.  Since the game does multitask, you can have a cli to get
the file names though.  It can also be installed on a hard drive.

Rick

tinny@madnix.UUCP (Philip Varner) (02/20/91)

   Hi, I have played 'Nonambunga's Ambition' <sp!?> and I own it, I recomend this as the ULTIMATE war/strategy game for 1-4 players! It says it uses 'Amiga' graphics superiority other than IBM graphics.. But from what I have seen I think the IBM co

DEB110@psuvm.psu.edu (Doug Bischoff) (02/21/91)

In article <1991Feb16.164124.377487@waf2000>, will@waf2000 (Will Fiveash/100000)
says:

>I would like to see more stragetic games that take real advantage of the
>Amiga's capabilities and if you know of any newer ones, lets hear about
>it.

     I'm actually working on one.  I don't really know if it will be a 1 or a 2
player game since I'm not really sure how to implement computer strategy.  I'm
fairly adept at wargames myself, but how to get the computer to do it?  I dunno
where to start.

     What I"m working on is a medieval hand-to-hand simulator on the basis of
(my still-favorite) Ancient Art of War, but much upgraded to handle commanders,
cavalry, small-scale fortifications, etc.
     Any ideas, anybody?

| -Doug  Bischoff- |    *** ***    ====--\         | "I'm not God...  |
| -DEB110 @ PSUVM- |   *  ***  *     ==|<>\___     |    I was just    |
| -The Black Ring- |    *** ***        |______\    |       misquoted!"|
| --- "Wheels" --- |      ***           O   O      |   -Dave Lister   |
| Corwyn Blakwolfe |     T.R.I.     -------------  |    RED DWARF     |
\---- DEB110@PSUVM.PSU.EDU  D.BISCHOFF on GEnie  THIRDMAN on PAN -----/