[comp.sys.amiga.games] Imperium

pkontkanen@cc.helsinki.fi (10/06/90)

	Hello!

	Has anyone played Imperium, the fantastic strategy game?
	Any interesting notices/tactics/hints?

						Petri Kontkanen
						University of Helsinki, Finland
                				pkontkanen@cc.helsinki.fi

pyppad@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P A Dale) (10/08/90)

In article <3302.270d2a04@cc.helsinki.fi> pkontkanen@cc.helsinki.fi writes:

>	Hello!
>
>	Has anyone played Imperium, the fantastic strategy game?
>	Any interesting notices/tactics/hints?
>

>						Petri Kontkanen
>						University of Helsinki, Finland
>                				pkontkanen@cc.helsinki.fi

Played the game ? Well .... I hit some big snags quickly and decided
to put it aside for a while until I could devote some time to it.
The problems I had were:-
i) didn't seem to be able to improve tonnage rating for ships
   even when my average tech was 20+
ii) data overflow and correlation. It is very difficult to relate
    tax/embargo/production on a quick pass
iii) the big invasion at start + 20 years :-) (Running away looks good
:-)
iV) no NOSTRUM ! I don't seem to start with any and having colonised
     6+ stars I didn't find any!

I would love to hear from anyone who has had a serious go at this game.
It does look excellent. Anyone played Supremacy and willing to review
it ?

Cheers,
Paul Dale

nad@tegra.COM (Nancy Durgin) (10/09/90)

In article <1990Oct8.101054.23911@gdr.bath.ac.uk> pyppad@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P A Dale) writes:
>In article <3302.270d2a04@cc.helsinki.fi> pkontkanen@cc.helsinki.fi writes:
>>
>>	Has anyone played Imperium, the fantastic strategy game?
>>	Any interesting notices/tactics/hints?
>>

>Played the game ? Well .... I hit some big snags quickly and decided
>to put it aside for a while until I could devote some time to it.
>The problems I had were:-
>i) didn't seem to be able to improve tonnage rating for ships
>   even when my average tech was 20+
>ii) data overflow and correlation. It is very difficult to relate
>    tax/embargo/production on a quick pass
>iii) the big invasion at start + 20 years :-) (Running away looks good
>:-)
>iV) no NOSTRUM ! I don't seem to start with any and having colonised
>     6+ stars I didn't find any!
>
>I would love to hear from anyone who has had a serious go at this game.
>It does look excellent. Anyone played Supremacy and willing to review
>it ?

I've played Imperium a bit, but my problem with it was that too many of
the rules were left unstated.  It is too difficult to figure out
what effect your actions have had on the economics of things.

As for Nostrum, I found a good supply at a planet very nearby (like
the nearest to where you start).  On the map, it is one of three possible
solar systems that are near to you, but I don't remember the exact name.

A couple of my other gripes with the game are:

1) There's no indication on the star map of how far away anything
   is.  Give me a break.  They have interstellar travel, but don't
   know distances?

2) All those nonsense names that are assigned to everything makes
   it real tough to distinguish.  The first thing I do is start
   renaming star systems and planets.  I name the star systems
   Alpha, Beta, Gamma, etc. and the planets Alpha-1, Alpha-2,
   Beta-1, Beta-2, etc.

Anyway, I think this game has a lot of potential (a very nice user
interface), but it's got just enough bugs in the game system that I'm
not sure it is actually playable.

	Nancy

Nancy Durgin          | (Usual disclaimers | Tegra-Varityper, Inc.
tegra!nad@uunet.com   | apply...)          | Billerica, Massachusetts

A.C.Crook@newcastle.ac.uk (A.C. Crook) (10/12/90)

I`ve played the game a bit on my friends ST(boo hiss, I know I know), I
managed to get into
a what seemed like wining situation before one of our mutual "friends"
took it upon himself to wipe the file. (Accidently I think).

>Played the game ? Well .... I hit some big snags quickly and decided
>to put it aside for a while until I could devote some time to it.
>The problems I had were:-
>i) didn't seem to be able to improve tonnage rating for ships
>   even when my average tech was 20+

You have to get the tonnage rating much higher than this - cant remember
exactly
but I`ve got my tonnage rating up to around about 1000 and my
tech levels were about 100+.
I think it helps to put a tech subsidy on all your planets and then
put tech production to max (+10%).

>ii) data overflow and correlation. It is very difficult to relate
>    tax/embargo/production on a quick pass

Yeah I found this at first. If you get into a very bad situation
on importing way too much a short term soln is too embargo all the
goods you are running low on and slap a -100% import tax on any
empires your importing way too much from (moderate as necessary).
When you get going a good general tax level seems to be 5-15% on
imports and exports.

>iii) the big invasion at start + 20 years :-) (Running away looks good
>:-)

Wimp! Get out there and give them hell! They don`t attack you straight away,
in fact, its usually me who starts the hostilities.

>iV) no NOSTRUM ! I don't seem to start with any and having colonised
>     6+ stars I didn't find any!

Nostrum only grows on certain planets. It may occur on others throughout
the game.
I`m trying to remeber the name of the planet I always go to first (in my
experiance
they usually remain the same), I think it is Luatax and maybe Sterus,
but there are
plenty once you get going I`ve often been producing 500 units.

>I would love to hear from anyone who has had a serious go at this game.
>It does look excellent. Anyone played Supremacy and willing to review
>it ?

Should be thro` my door anyday now.

Cheers,
>Paul Dale

I feel the environment of Imperium could be better, like creating troops
on your planet.
It takes ages of mouse clicking to build up a good garrison and some
kind of automatic
all planet troop increase would be very,very handy. At the moment with
30+ planets it takes
about 100 mouse clicks a turn just to increase your troops on your planets.
Is there an easier way to do it,? Have I missed something?

Also I have found it very difficult to make an alliance with other planets.
They totally refuse to accept any offer I make them, even if I give them loads
of dosh!
Then they make me ludicrous offers.(I did accept one , for a laugh)
Any hints in this direction would be appreciated. And yes, I do try to ally
with them before I blow them away.

	"Just leave me with my thought!",(Homer Simpson)

			Adey.

2fmlempire@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (02/21/91)

I've been playing Imperium and noticed a strange quirk....after about the
300th year of the game (game time, not real time! :-) my fleet when ordered
to go somewhere would zig-zag all over, even once in the opposite direction!

The Fleet Commander was "Very Loyal" so I don't think he was disobeying
orders.  So what gives?  Anybody else had their Fleet take the scenic route?

David Poland
2fmlempire@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu