[comp.sys.amiga.games] About WHEN IS ???

dw3w+@andrew.cmu.edu (Database Work) (02/16/91)

To be honest, I'm getting sick of everyone complaining about "When is Wing
Commander coming out for the Amiga" or "Sim Earth...when?"  I think many of
you forget the fact that most of the good games made for the amiga AREN'T
ported to them.  Games like Turrican never show up on other systems, or
are not nearly as good.  Maybe a little more emphasis on games made for the
amiga would be good for the community.  After all, why should we buy a game
from Orgin (Wing Commander) so they can take that money and put it into another
IBM game that will be poorly ported to the amiga.  I dare say you don't see IBM
users wondering when good Amiga games are going to show up on their IBM's.
Try to imagine the two best games of the year so far, Speedball II and Lemmings,
on an IBM.  Makes me laugh.  So lets see some "When is Turrican II coming out"
rather than "Wing Commander" or some such thing .  Support companies like
Psygnosis (they are finally geting better) Rainbow Arts, Bullfrog, Image-
works, and countless others to continue to make games on the amiga.  It
has seemed to me the BEST amiga games are made ON the amiga FOR the amiga.

Ryan Newman
student :(

 dw3w+@andrew.cmu.edu (Database Work) writes:

> To be honest, I'm getting sick of everyone complaining about "When is
> Wing Commander coming out for the Amiga" or "Sim Earth...when?" I
> think many of you forget the fact that most of the good games made for
> the amiga AREN'T ported to them. Games like Turrican never show up on
> other systems, or are not nearly as good. Maybe a little more emphasis
> on games made for the amiga would be good for the community. After
> all, why should we buy a game from Orgin (Wing Commander) so they can
> take that money and put it into another IBM game that will be poorly
> ported to the amiga. I dare say you don't see IBM users wondering when
> good Amiga games are going to show up on their IBM's. Try to imagine
> the two best games of the year so far, Speedball II and Lemmings, on
> an IBM. Makes me laugh. So lets see some "When is Turrican II coming
> out" rather than "Wing Commander" or some such thing . Support
> companies like Psygnosis (they are finally geting better) Rainbow
                 ^^^^^^^^^
> Arts, Bullfrog, Image- works, and countless others to continue to make
> games on the amiga. It has seemed to me the BEST amiga games are made
> ON the amiga FOR the amiga.

You were on a roll right up to that one.  I just let myself get suckered
by all the great descriptions here into buying Yet Another Piece of
Psygnosis Garbage, The Killing Game Show.

Thanks to their _dandy_ attitude toward their customers (crooks every
last one of us) the game has enough copy protection that it will boot
neither on my A1000, nor on my A2000, both reasonably stock machines.

Won't get past what sounds like about the first couple tracks on either
machine.

I'm not up to organizing a boycott of these jerks, but I sure wish
someone would. $32 down the tubes for a pretty box.

Baratacus, Terrapods, Shadow of the Beast I & II, and now The Killing
Game Show; every one a total waste of money, an insult to the user, with
machine destructive copy protection, all glitter, no gameplay. What
keeps these idiots in business, besides incurably optimistic fools like
me?

Kent, the man from xanth.

cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) (02/17/91)

Kent,
  The Killing Game Show boots and runs quite nicely on my far
from stock A2000 (Supra 2400zi, GVP Impact II (with tape drive
and large hard drive...), GVP '030 card with 9 Megs of memory
and 1Meg chip RAM...).  I think you must have gotten a bum
copy, take it back and get a new one (or if you're really
upset, get your money back!  You Amiga store WILL let you
return bad software, won't it? (Or did you acquire the game
through mail order channels...?)).  This is a very playable
Psygnosis game (IMHO) on the first four levels at least...

Loren J. Rittle
Excited to get the next piece of Psygnosis Garbage -- Lemmings!
--
``NewTek stated that the Toaster *would not* be made to directly support the
  Mac, at this point Sculley stormed out of the booth...'' -A scene at the

 cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) writes:

> Kent,

> The Killing Game Show boots and runs quite nicely on my far from stock
> A2000 (Supra 2400zi, GVP Impact II (with tape drive and large hard
> drive...), GVP '030 card with 9 Megs of memory and 1Meg chip RAM...).
> I think you must have gotten a bum copy, take it back and get a new
> one (or if you're really upset, get your money back! You Amiga store
> WILL let you return bad software, won't it? (Or did you acquire the
> game through mail order channels...?)). This is a very playable
> Psygnosis game (IMHO) on the first four levels at least...

There have been several postings here that the copy protection is so
incredibly sensitive to the speed of the floppy disk drives that it
wouldn't boot on many machines.  I more suspect my otherwise completely
functional computers than the game disk.

You have no _concept_ how thrilled I am when I have to fight depression
months on end to get out of the house for an hour or two one time, to
get to dedicate one entire battle to driving back up to Redwood City to
try to trade this game in at Go Amigo. I really, really hope I never let
anyone talk me into another Psygnosis game. Psygnosis are slime.

> Excited to get the next piece of Psygnosis Garbage -- Lemmings!

Do enjoy. I think my next game will be one I write. The also copy
protected Turrican disk died before I ever learned how to get off the
first level, and I have no idea where I got that one any more. I
probably got four total hours of play out of that. $10 per hour is a bit
stiff for entertainment for a guy living on dried beans.

Kent, the man from xanth.

dac@prolix.pub.uu.oz.au (Andrew Clayton) (02/17/91)

In article <1991Feb16.192720.20637@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG>, Kent Paul Dolan writes:

> I'm not up to organizing a boycott of these jerks, but I sure wish
> someone would. $32 down the tubes for a pretty box.

They do try to please the customers.  Nobody can doubt that their level of
artistry in their work is *excellent*.

> Baratacus, Terrapods, Shadow of the Beast I & II, and now The Killing
> Game Show; every one a total waste of money

I cannot agree more.  I spent good money on Brataccas, Arena, Terrapods,
Obliterator, and another game whose name escapes me.  I hated them all.
Terrapods looked like it would be great, but it wasn't.

> machine destructive copy protection, all glitter, no gameplay.

Precisely. Copy protected to the max, and I hate that more than anything.

Nice graphics, shame about the game.

> keeps these idiots in business, besides incurably optimistic fools like
> me?

:-), well, you're not alone.  I keep on hearing rave reports about Lemmings,
so, lemming like, I'll probably pursue this game.  Sigh.  I think it's a case
of more money than sense.

> Kent, the man from xanth.

Dac
 _l _  _   // Andrew Clayton. Canberra, Australia.         I Post  .
(_](_l(_ \X/  Send mail to dac@prolix.pub.uu.oz.au                . .  I am.

dmoen@cyrano.tcs.com (Dan Moen) (02/21/91)

In article <kbj6FSu00WB3QF2G1J@andrew.cmu.edu>, dw3w+@andrew.cmu.edu
(Database Work) writes:
|> To be honest, I'm getting sick of everyone complaining about "When is Wing
|> Commander coming out for the Amiga" or "Sim Earth...when?"  I think many of
|> you forget the fact that most of the good games made for the amiga AREN'T
|> ported to them.  Games like Turrican never show up on other systems, or
|> are not nearly as good.  Maybe a little more emphasis on games made for the
|> amiga would be good for the community.  After all, why should we buy a game
|> from Orgin (Wing Commander) so they can take that money and put it into
|> another IBM game that will be poorly ported to the amiga.  I dare say you
							      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|> don't see IBM users wondering when good Amiga games are going to show up
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|> on their IBM's.
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I dare say that this is patently false.  Dungeon Master, The one game which
probably generates the more traffic on this newsgroup than any other (if you
count its sequel, CSB) just may be the best reason for owning an Amiga over
an IBM.  My IBM owning friends have been lamenting this one for months
(years?).  They will shortly have Eye of the Beholder, but game game isn't
out yet, so the jury is.

I will grant that there is a large segment of the IBM population out there
that neither knows nor cares about the existance of the Amiga, let alone
screams for games.  However, most of these folks spend more time in front
of a spreadsheet than a cockpit, and when they do climb behind the yoke,
it's normally the one that belongs to Microsoft's flight simulator.  (ooh!)

Those IBM'ers who do play lots of games, however, _are_ aware of the Amiga,
and many of them have had to wait for IBM ports of popular Amiga titles.
Cinemaware has been doing this for quite some time now.  You may disagree
as to the merit of the typical game from that house, but I offer it here
merely to illustrate the point.  Other great games that make my friends
jealous?  F/A-18 Interceptor, Powermonger, and Wings to name a few.

It's a two way street folks, and it just so happens that our side has
nicer homes, better lighting, and friendlier people ;-)

-= Dan Moen				-=-	dmoen@tcs.com	=-
-= Teknekron Communications Systems	-=-	(415)649-3672	=-