[comp.sys.amiga.games] DM1: Alternative Ending

johnu@syma.sussex.ac.uk (John E Upham) (02/12/91)

I"ve heard that there is an alternative ending/solution to DM1 which
involves going back to level 1 and out the front door of the dungeon.
Is there any truth to this rumour or is it a wind-up ?

              John Upham, (Chemical Physics Ph.D)

              University of Sussex, Brighton, UK.

              Email: kapn1%cluster.susx.ac.uk@uk.ac (BITnet)
                     kapn1@uk.ac.susx.cluster       (Janet)
                     johnu%syma.susx.ac.uk@uk.ac    (BITnet)
                     johnu@uk.ac.susx.syma          (Janet)
              Tel:   +44 273 680500 (eve)
              Tel:   +44 273 678332 (day)
              Fax:   +44 273 671966

  "I've counted them all out and I've counted them all back"
   Murray Walker (?) commentating on the restart at F1 WC, Spa, 1990

pjb89@ecs.soton.ac.uk (pj Boniface) (02/12/91)

In <4474@syma.sussex.ac.uk> johnu@syma.sussex.ac.uk (John E Upham) writes:

>I"ve heard that there is an alternative ending/solution to DM1 which
>involves going back to level 1 and out the front door of the dungeon.
>Is there any truth to this rumour or is it a wind-up ?

>              John Upham, (Chemical Physics Ph.D)

ONCE YOU HAVE THE FIRESTAFF (BUT WITHOUT THE GEM), GO BACK TO THE START,
AND LORD LAW WILL GREET YOU - IT IS AN EXPLOSIVE MEETING !!

(SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS - TERMINAL GOT STUCK SOMEHOW...)

PETER.

--

                 Swift RatBane, Brother of the Pack
                      (pjb89@uk.ac.soton.ecs)

t-mikewa@microsoft.UUCP (Michael WARNING) (02/14/91)

In article <4474@syma.sussex.ac.uk> johnu@syma.sussex.ac.uk (John E Upham) writes:

>I"ve heard that there is an alternative ending/solution to DM1 which
>involves going back to level 1 and out the front door of the dungeon.
>Is there any truth to this rumour or is it a wind-up ?

I tried doing this at one point where I was stuck right before the ending.
What happens is that the bad guy (can't recall his name right off hand...)
shows up, thanks you for bringing the firestaff to him, blast you dead with a
couple of twin fireballs, and (presumable) goes out to conquer the world.  At
any rate, you're dead so that not a particularly good way to end the game...

					Mike

Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Stewart Mckinnon) (02/14/91)

RE: RETURNING TO THE ENTRANCE TO THE HALL OF CHAMPIONS WITH THE
FIRESTAFF....Yes, this is CERTAINLY NOT the ending you want! There
is a way, however, to return to the upper levels with the Firestaff
AND the gem intact!! Just assemble the Firestaff and gem and then
TURN 180 degrees and THROW the Firestaff through the door to the Gem
Room! Now, you can go ANYWHERE! (the FUSE option makes short work
of the Water Elementals on the Clockwise Level!) HAPPY ADVENTURING!

--
Stewart Mckinnon - via FidoNet node 1:221/171
UUCP    : watmath!xenitec!zswamp!178.0!Stewart.Mckinnon

Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Stewart Mckinnon) (02/15/91)

RE: "the 'bad' guy shows up.....NOPE. This is NOT the bad guy (Chaos)
This is the Grey Lord who punishes the Champions for being stupid
enough to go all the way back to the beginning. Actually, if you haven't
finished the game I won't give anything away....but you'll get the
picture at the TRUE ending of the game!

--

pjb89@ecs.soton.ac.uk (pj Boniface) (02/16/91)

In <70651@microsoft.UUCP> t-mikewa@microsoft.UUCP (Michael WARNING) writes:

>In article <4474@syma.sussex.ac.uk> johnu@syma.sussex.ac.uk (John E Upham) writes:
>>
>>I"ve heard that there is an alternative ending/solution to DM1 which
>>involves going back to level 1 and out the front door of the dungeon.
>>Is there any truth to this rumour or is it a wind-up ?

>I tried doing this at one point where I was stuck right before the ending.
>What happens is that the bad guy (can't recall his name right off hand...)
                          ~~~~~~~
>shows up, thanks you for bringing the firestaff to him, blast you dead with a
>couple of twin fireballs, and (presumable) goes out to conquer the world.  At
>any rate, you're dead so that not a particularly good way to end the game...

>					Mike

It isn't the bad guy - it's Lord Law (the GOOD half !).
You are just not good enough for him any more :-)

Peter.

--

pochron@rt12.cs.wisc.edu (David Pochron) (02/21/91)

In article <6802@ecs.soton.ac.uk> pjb89@ecs.soton.ac.uk (pj Boniface) writes:

>It isn't the bad guy - it's Lord Law (the GOOD half !).
>You are just not good enough for him any more :-)

Are you sure about that?  I could sworn I heard him say something along the
lines of "thanks for saving me the trouble of getting the firestaff...I'LL
take that if you don't mind!"  :-)

--

       -- David M. Pochron   | "Life's a blit,
                             |  and then you VBI."
pochron@garfield.cs.wisc.edu |

daguru@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Da Guru) (02/21/91)

Ending #1:  You die.  (By whatever means.  You may see this one
more than once...)

Ending #2:  You bring the staff back to the dungeon entrance,
Lord Law meets you there, thanks you, and you die.  You can't do
this unless the staff is without the gem.

Ending #3:  You put the gem on the staff, go and fuse Lord Chaos,
and HE dies.  (Well, not really, but that's another story...)

Ending #4:  You put the gem on the staff, throw it across the
room, and go pick it up.  When you march back up to the entrance,
nothing happens.  (The designers didn't forsee this one...)