[comp.sys.amiga.games] Need help with sub in interceptor

ejt@cs.ed.ac.uk (Edward Toner) (02/07/91)

Sorry if some folks have seen this before but I think I messed up the posting
the first time. (to get something really wrong you need a computer).
Anyway back to the point, how do you sink the big sub at the end of interceptor
I've hit it a lot, I've landed on it and driven round it, I've even crashed
into it but all to no avail. HELP!!
	Ed.

The wise man doesn't play leapfrog with a unicorn.  ejt@lfcs.ed.ac.uk

jimac@ferris.cray.com (Jim Macura) (02/07/91)

You don't actually need to destroy the sub.  In fact, I don't think you *can*
destroy it!  This had me stumped for absolutely ages, until I gave up trying
and just vented my frustration on the enemy planes. Lo and Behold!!, as soon
as I blasted the last Mig I got the "mission completed" message.  It was all
a con!

Apart from that, I still enjoy F-18.

Jim Macura

pat@mks.com (Pat Inglis) (02/12/91)

In article <082502.13601@timbuk.cray.com> jimac@ferris.cray.com (Jim Macura) writes:
>You don't actually need to destroy the sub.  In fact, I don't think you *can*
>destroy it!  This had me stumped for absolutely ages, until I gave up trying
>and just vented my frustration on the enemy planes. Lo and Behold!!, as soon
>as I blasted the last Mig I got the "mission completed" message.  It was all
>a con!
>
>Apart from that, I still enjoy F-18.
>
>Jim Macura

I saved this posting a while back. I haven't tried this myself so I
can't say for certain if it works. Anyhow...

Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.games
Subject: Re: F-18 - Wanna sink the sub!
Date: 4 Nov 90 13:41:37 GMT

> J56QC@CUNYVM.BITNET writes:
>
> Hello everybody out in netland.. guess what.. You CAN'T SINK THE SUB... YOU
> MUS
>  DESTROY ALL ENEMY AIRCRAFT IN ORDER TO COMPLETE THE MISSION... SORRY...but
> you
> could land on it...

Not true. Dump your ordnance (your AMRAAMs only, the AIMs don't work worth a
damn) on the sub-carrier's conning tower. Then go back and get another load and
do it again. If you can get 6 (not 5, but 6!) AMRAAMs to hit the tower
squarely, you'll be treated to a lovely explosion and a sinking vessel. All of
this can be done at just under 100 feet. I found that pulling up to 95 feet
when you're about to fire works well, and the MiGs never touch me.
--
<-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><+><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><-><->
<                        |                                          >

END OF TRANSCRIPT

So if this works, credit goes to J.D. Frazer for telling it first. Good
Luck!
--
___             Then there's the guy who, when told the most hilarious
 |   __   =I=   or obvious joke, pretends not to get it.
 |  /  \[_]|    ********************************************************
/ \ \__/ I/|\   Pat Inglis: MKS Inc, Waterloo, Ontario, CAN. pat@mks.com

cpb@doc.ic.ac.uk (C P Brown) (02/21/91)

Personally, I haven't destroyed the sub. I'll try the 'six hits on the
conning tower' when I get home. However, I have fired hundreds of missiles
at the sub, and the REALLY EASY way to get re-armed is to

LAND ON THE ENEMY SUB!

Yes it is difficult, you've gotta hit those arrestor lines just right and
have low speed, but if you can manage it you get rearmed and refueled! Then
you can just take off, unload your weapons and land again!

Neat eh? BTW, you haven't lived until you've played Interceptor at 25 frames
per second (25Mhz 68030)! Its unbelievable!

Phil