[comp.sys.amiga.games] Piracy, HW copiers and other issues.

PYC118@uriacc.uri.edu (FO Q) (02/24/91)

Due to several personal inquiries concerning hardware copiers I think a
comparison of the two most popular such copiers will be of interest.

Currently, the two hardware copiers available are the Supercard ($75-100
Utilities Unlimited) and the Syncro Express (Coast to Coast, $70).
Although I personally own a Supercard a good friend of mine owns a Syncro
and therefore I an able to more or less compare the two.

The Supercard is a small thingamajig that plugs between the disk drive and
the computer's drive port. It has a disable switch in case it isn't as
transparent as you'd like it to be although I've never needed to use it.
The AmigaWorld ads claim it to be 100% succesful in copying any ANY 3.5"
media regardless of format. Well, not really. I was impressed that it would
make a Mac-recognizable copy right off of DF0: but, alas, Word wouldn't load
completely and it caused an SE into an irrecoverable crash. Still, no matter
for to me it is only of importance whether it can copy Amiga disks (Although
the claim of universal success is untrue right off the bat). Anyway, the
Supercard copies just about all Amiga software. There are parameters for copy-
ing especially difficult titles too, although sometimes these parameters were
unsuccessful in copying games for which that very parameter was expressly
written. In conclusion, I would say it copies about 85% of the titles out
with varying degrees of difficulty and speed (most copies take 5 minutes, NOT
60 seconds as the ads imply). Specifically, it has an exceedingly hard time
copying any ReadySoft titles (Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, etc.) and UbiSoft
ones too. But everything else copies eventually. Finally, there are fairly
inexpensive updates that come out regularly to deal with new copy protection
schemes.

The Syncro Express is much like the Supercard in concept. Except that there
are no parameters and apparently no updates. However, the Syncro is marginally
better at copying compared to the Supercard (Plus it's cheaper!). It is also
much faster with the average copy taking around a minute and a half or so.

I would recomend buying the Syncro in light of this but I must say that neither
one copies everything. ReadySoft titles are impossible to copy (or nearly so)
unless you have high density disks. And there are some games that just plain
neither will copy as well as ones that will copy under one but not the other.

Ok here comes the necessary disclaimer: I'm not a pirate and I discourage
any net pirates from approaching me concerning pirate copies of my software.
Likewise, any self-righteous preachers out there should know I'll most cheer-
fully ignore any moralizing and/or chastisement.

I will however gladly answer any further questions people have concerning
these copiers. Thanx folx,
Rasiel

cmw1725@tamsun.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) (02/25/91)

Don't go out and buy one of these hardware copiers yet, the reviewer left out
a major contender... XCOPY III/Cyclone...  I feel that this is the best HW
copier out right now, and it is cheeper to boot, I will post a review a bit
later, so hold your horses...

Christopher Walton
cmw1725@tamsun.tamu.edu

colas@lemur.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) (02/25/91)

In article <45625@nigel.ee.udel.edu>, PYC118@uriacc.uri.edu (FO Q) writes:
> Due to several personal inquiries concerning hardware copiers I think a
> comparison of the two most popular such copiers will be of interest.

Thanks for such an informative posting!

I will add  my experience on "Freeze-Frame" devices, such as Action Replay
and Nordic Power.
These devices allows you to take a "snapshot" of a running program, save them
to disk and restart them + other goodies (gradual slowdown of the machine,
autofire for joysticks). I will only speak of AR, since I do not know any
NP owners (if you are, could you post a review?)

I found out that these devices can be used to backup your software, with the
added plus that since you dump your memory, chances are that your dump won't
work on other people machines with different configs, so that it cant be used to
spread disks. However it is I think invaluable for backuping software for
archival copies. I was able to backup my copy of lemmings, which wasn't copied
with synchro express. It is however tricky to use, since you must find the good
spot where you can interrupt the program whithout disturbing it, and it can be a
tricky process.

Problems are that this card (A2000)/ cartridge (A500) ignores memory higher than
1 mega and HDs, so you cannot save only to floppies (slow), and you cannot save
a game that has loaded in real fast ram. it does allow you to run programs in
512K, and save/restore quickly (~ 1 second) to the other 512K,
which is a really handy feature.

I think it is a mandatory buy for any amiga game player! So you can save your
F19 flight during the missions, at the start of each Lotus esprit races,
(now I have all the 15 levels saved, so I can re-play any of them)
and go in slow motion in lemmings for precise timing (for digging for instance).
A great performance/price ratio at ~ $120.
It allows you to enjoy a game that was previously unplayable because the
programmers were lazy enough not to code a "same game anywhere" option.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a pirate, I use a computer at work, and life told me that
you ALWAYS need to backup your disks.

--
Colas Nahaboo, colas@sa.inria.fr, Bull Research, Koala Project, GWM X11 WM
Phone:(33) 93.65.77.70(.66 Fax), INRIA, B.P.109 - 06561 Valbonne Cedex, FRANCE.

cmw1725@tamsun.tamu.edu (Christopher Walton) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb25.140458.7578@javelin.es.com> pashdown@javelin.sim.es.com writes:

>Is this available in the states yet?

Yes it is, sorry no more info for now, but I am real busy...  I will post more
later tonight...

Christopher Walton
cmw1725@tamsun.tamu.edu