[comp.sys.amiga.games] Shadowgate Help

skank@iastate.edu (Skank George L) (01/29/91)

In article <1308@pdxgate.UUCP> brianh@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Brian Holscher) writes:

>	I have assembled the staff, but can't get back past the troll.  I used
>the invisability spell the first time across.  Help!
>
>brianh@eecs.ee.pdx.edu

	I don't have the Amiga version, but my little brother has the Nintendo
version and you have to use the spear to get by one of the times.  How do you
like the Amiga version incidentially?
						--George
--

George L. Skank			|
skank@iastate.edu		|Fast cars, fast women, fast computers...

gjackson@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Ginger M. Jackson) (02/18/91)

	Hello all.  I've come to a couple of dead ends (what a supprise) in
Shadowgate, and would like some help.  Subtle hints are preferred, but blatent
solutions will also be accepted :)

Sir Doogan:  After placing the ring in the hole and returning the cover,
nothing happens.  What else should I do here?

Room with platnium horn: I think I must put out the fires in order to get the
horn?  Is this correct, and how is it done?

Lookout:  What goes in the flagpole holder?

All help is appreciated, and please hurry, before I do something drastic....
(I'd hate to smash the computer over this :)

Thanks,
Ginger

steve@fivegl.co.nz (steve) (02/25/91)

Help!  I've progressed fairly far into Shadowgate, but now I'm stuck.
Can anyone out there help me out (but don't tell me TOO much)?

I have the Staff of Ages, the Platinum Horn, and the Bladed Sun.
I think I am supposed to do one of the following things next, but I
don't know which and/or how:

a)  Get through the opening where the stone block falls down
b)  Solve the 3-lever combination
c)  Get through the landslide next to the waterfall
d)  Get through the opening above the concrete ledge which breaks
e)  Get through the door next to the well (the well with the mechanism)

What about the cage which has the loose bars?

Any assistance would be MUCH appreciated.

smsmith@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Stephen M. Smith) (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb25.013647.17270@fivegl.co.nz> steve@fivegl.co.nz (steve) writes:
>Help!  I've progressed fairly far into Shadowgate, but now I'm stuck.
>Can anyone out there help me out (but don't tell me TOO much)?

(hints and possible spoilers)

>I have the Staff of Ages, the Platinum Horn, and the Bladed Sun.
>I think I am supposed to do one of the following things next, but I
>don't know which and/or how:
>
>a)  Get through the opening where the stone block falls down

Dead end. Can't do it.

>b)  Solve the 3-lever combination

Try all 27 different combinations.  This should only take about
3 minutes if you're systematic.

>c)  Get through the landslide next to the waterfall

Another dead end. Can't do it. (In the Nintendo version there is
a "programmers' room" behind the rocks.  You have to do a certain
number of things to get there, though.  Don't ask me what it is--
I DON'T KNOW; if you're really curious post a message in
rec.games.video for the answer.)

>d)  Get through the opening above the concrete ledge which breaks

Another dead end. Can't do it.

>e)  Get through the door next to the well (the well with the mechanism)

Another dead end. Can't do it.

>What about the cage which has the loose bars?

I never figured that one out.  But I solved the game without
doing it so it can't be too crucial.

>                | Steve Chell           | steve@fivegl.co.nz

Stephen M. Smith  \  +  /
<smsmith@hpuxa.   \+++++/    " #*&<-[89s]*(k#$@-_=//a2$]'+=.(2_&*%>,,@
 ircc.ohio-state. \  +  /      {7%*@,..":27g)-=,#*:.#,/6&1*.4-,l@#9:-)  "
 edu>             \  +  /
 BTW, WYSInaWYG   \  +  /                              --witty.saying.ARC

djohnson@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Darin Johnson) (02/27/91)

>>Help!  I've progressed fairly far into Shadowgate, but now I'm stuck.
>>Can anyone out there help me out (but don't tell me TOO much)?
>
>>b)  Solve the 3-lever combination
>
>Try all 27 different combinations.  This should only take about
>3 minutes if you're systematic.

Bzzt.  The combination is actually given as a clue!  I haven't played this,
but my friend was playing on a mac, and was showing me the various rooms.
And in one of the rooms, I pointed to something and said "Wait, isn't that
the combo", and sure enough...  Don't know about the Amiga version, but
I don't think they'd pull out the clue.
--
Darin Johnson
djohnson@ucsd.edu

lucifer@ut-emx.uucp (wildebeest ) (02/28/91)

In article <17026@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> djohnson@beowulf.ucsd.edu (Darin Johnson) writes:
>>>Help!  I've progressed fairly far into Shadowgate, but now I'm stuck.
>>>Can anyone out there help me out (but don't tell me TOO much)?
>>
>>>b)  Solve the 3-lever combination
>>
>>Try all 27 different combinations.  This should only take about
>>3 minutes if you're systematic.

>Bzzt.  The combination is actually given as a clue!

[Stuff deleted]

>Don't know about the Amiga version, but
>I don't think they'd pull out the clue.

Yes, the combination is in plain sight (but not in the lever room).
It's very subtle.

>--
>Darin Johnson
>djohnson@ucsd.edu
>  - Political correctness is Turing undecidable.

Dean Hines
Astronomy
University of Texas
dhines@astro.as.utexas.edu