[comp.sys.amiga.games] Cinemaware bankrupt!

chymes@zug.csmil.umich.edu (Charles Hymes) (02/22/91)

A few days ago a former affiliate of Cinemaware told my user group
that Cinemaware had filed fro chapter 11 and was going to be swallowed
up by some other company, and will make Amiga Games no more.......
Anybody else heard about this?

Charweed Hymerfan

jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J Chung) (02/22/91)

chymes@zug.csmil.umich.edu (Charles Hymes) writes:

>A few days ago a former affiliate of Cinemaware told my user group
>that Cinemaware had filed fro chapter 11 and was going to be swallowed
>up by some other company, and will make Amiga Games no more.......
>Anybody else heard about this?

I've heard rumors for 3 weeks on our local bbs about this.  I didn't want
to post it since it was just a rumor (though it was through a friend of
someone who worked at Cinemaware).  But, I just heard that now they're selling
the furniture (remember Aegis).  It looks like cinemaware has bit the dust.
      The thing is, I don't understand how it could have happened.  I have
heard their IBM ports of TVSports Basketball were selling like crazy and
that they had gotten major capital infusion by NEC who bought a huge chunk
of stock, so they would make games for the TurobGrafx.....
    Oh well, only time will tell, but let's keep our fingers crossed.
Cinemaware was on the cutting edge of Amiga software, and I have never been
unhappy w/ any of their games I purchased (though I heard some of their
Spotlight was mediocre).
                                           Later,
                                           Jason

bard@jessica.stanford.edu (David Hopper) (02/22/91)

In article <1991Feb21.234409.12417@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> jhc00614@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (J Chung) writes:
>chymes@zug.csmil.umich.edu (Charles Hymes) writes:
>

>>A few days ago a former affiliate of Cinemaware told my user group
>>that Cinemaware had filed fro chapter 11 and was going to be swallowed
>>up by some other company, and will make Amiga Games no more.......
>>Anybody else heard about this?
>
>    Oh well, only time will tell, but let's keep our fingers crossed.
>Cinemaware was on the cutting edge of Amiga software, and I have never been
>unhappy w/ any of their games I purchased (though I heard some of their
>Spotlight was mediocre).

SpeedBall is on CinemaWare's Spotlight label.  Is the release of SB 2 delayed
or jeopardized in the U.S. because of C'Ware's bellyflop?  I hope not.

>                                           Jason

Dave Hopper      |      /// The Amiga:      | The great strength of the total-
                 | __  ///                  | itarian state is that it forces
bard@jessica.    | \\\/// The Cybernetic    | those who fear it to imitate it.
   Stanford.EDU  |  \XX/ Revolution is NOW! |               --Adolph Hitler

FAA102@psuvm.psu.edu (02/28/91)

ITSADDAM SHAME. They make some of the best games around.

Frederick Aaron       |"For Those of you who don't think that we should
Faa102 PSUVM          |not be in Iraq, rememeber: When we found that
Penn State University |Lybia was responsible for 2 U.S. airport bombs,
AMIGAMIGAMIGAMIGAMIGA |Reagan sent them an F-111 wake-up call and they
GAMIGAMIGAMIGAMIGAMIG |have been quiet ever since". 'John Mulrooney'