[comp.sys.amiga.games] protection

billr@truevision.com (Bill Romanowski) (02/22/91)

As wise person once told me why he refused to
copy protect his products...

The use of copy protection involves 3 parties:
 1- The company selling the product
 2- The potential "pirate"
 3- The paying customer

" In that the paying customer is what keeps you in
business, you owe everything to that customer. The
pirate is of no concern. Any copy protection would
be an insult to the one person to which you owe your
very existence in the marketplace. "

- btw, this wise programmer has been very successful
as far as attaining financial and creative independence.
Greed and paranoia seems to not work in the sort or long run.

billr

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@yalevm.ycc.yale.edu (02/22/91)

The best anti-pirate scheme I have seen is the one that Creative Focus
uses for DJHelper: Each disk is encoded with a unique number. As long
as the legitimate purchaser sends in the registration card, a copy of
DJHelper that makes it on to the pirate boards, if it is noted by
Creative Focus, can be traced. You are warned in the manual that people
who do transfer it without authorization that they will "be subject to
public censure and other remedies as provided by law." As long as
the user sends in the registration, and, with a program as frequently
upgraded as DJHelper, there's no reason NOT to send in the registration.

Any other ideas?

                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet
                                ~~~second-hand smoke is THEFT~~~

trasc@dworkin.UUCP (James Trascapoulos) (02/28/91)

>In article <45414@nigel.ee.udel.edu>fhwri%
>            CONNCOLL.BITNET@yalevm.ycc.yale.edu writes:
>
>> The best anti-pirate scheme I have seen is the one that Creative Focus
>> uses for DJHelper: Each disk is encoded with a unique number. As long
>> as the legitimate purchaser sends in the registration card, a copy of
>> DJHelper that makes it on to the pirate boards, if it is noted by
>> Creative Focus, can be traced. You are warned in the manual that people
>> who do transfer it without authorization that they will "be subject to
>> public censure and other remedies as provided by law." As long as
>> the user sends in the registration, and, with a program as frequently
>> upgraded as DJHelper, there's no reason NOT to send in the registration.
>>
>> Any other ideas?

    The folks at Quark (Quark Express, a MAC DTP programme) use a
great method: Each package has a unique serial number encoded onto a
registration disk.  The registration disk is also the disk used to
install it onto the harddrive.  You HAVE to fill out name, address,
phone number (yes, it checks area codes against zip codes) and lots of
personal data before it allows you to install the programme. The
registration disk then encodes this data onto the installed programme
and onto the main distribution disk. After the install, you have to
return the disk to Quark to get the programme registered.  Would YOU
do this? I would - it's a $399 programme.

>I tolerate copy protections, because I understand what software
>manufacturers are going through.

    I just want better productivity software. And BTW, anyone
producing HD installation routines, check out the one for Project D
v2.  VERY nice.  A friend bought it at a local user group and all he
had to do was create a folder where he wanted the files (GREAT for
those of use with WB2.0 on our 3000s who like their new, fancy
drawers and not the dorky old drawers), drag the HDinstall icon into
the drawer, and click on it.  The programme then installs the files
right where they're supposed to go. CBM should look at this and get it
as the standard HD installation routine.

>These words be mine. The company doesn't care, because I am the
>company! :-)

    And good words too.  Keep it up.

>      Dave Lowrey        |  david@starsoft.hou.tx.us
>Starbound Software Group |
>      Houston, TX        | "Dare to be stupid!" -- Weird Al Yankovic

      ///   Jim Trascapoulos  *  CSAccess BBS  *  609-584-8774
     ///  "I was told once that people don't like to think. So I
 \\\///            tried to sell one a Mac. It worked."