[comp.sys.amiga.games] Chaos info

bosman@fwi.uva.nl (Cor Bosman) (02/21/91)

I just started playing Chaos Strikes Back and i'd appreciate answers to a few
questions ...

-  I cleaned the room "treasures for the quick" and went down the stairs.
   ( to level 4) . There are stairs up again but they lead to a dead end.
   (or not?). So i step into the forcefield and proceed to explore one
   of the four ways.But i have the feeling i forgot something.
   For example there are stairs on level 5 (close to the treasure room)
   but once you go up there is a closed door which i can't open.
   Is it possible to open it now or do i just have to explore further?

-  As I said i explored one of the ways (ROS) .Am i correct that you either
   start at level 1 or 2 (random) or do i have some control over this.
   Well I killed the DEATH KNIGHTS(dropped them down 2 pits) and got the
   weapon from the mummie room.But there is a section on level
   1 with a pit and a iron grate door but i am unable to close the pit
   to get to that door.How can I close it?

-  I first completed Dungeon Master and I have 3 >> master wizards
   1 master fighter and 1 master priest but I don't have a strong ninja
   does this give any problems when i explore the way of the ninja?

That's it for now...

--
|bosman@fwi.uva.nl //     |  Dont't loose your head,to gain a minute,   |
|              \\ //AMIGA |  you need your head,your brains are in it.  |

Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Stewart Mckinnon) (02/23/91)

RE: CHAOS QUESTIONS:

(1) The door up the stairs from "SUPPLIES FOR THE QUICK" cannot be

accessed from this side. You can come through this door from the small
DRAGON DEN on the other side after succeeding to DDD Main Level and
getting into it from here. This is a ONE-WAY door that will close
after you go through it.

(2) If you face WEST to the door, standing in front of the pit in

this hall, and turn 180 degrees to the EAST, you'll see a blue mist
briefly. Throw an object into this mist. Takes practice. What I did
was cast an 'OPEN BUTTON DOORS' spell into the mist. A throwing star
will work.

(3) I don't find that having a poor NINJA level hurts you too much

ANYWHERE. I don't think I advanced a NINJA LEVEL the entire game!
I would strongly recommend using characters from CHAOS STRIKES BACK
PRISON, rather thab
(ooops!) rather than ones from DM1. I just don't think they'll be

up to it! Anyway, hope I've answered your questions!

--
Stewart Mckinnon - via FidoNet node 1:221/171
UUCP    : watmath!xenitec!zswamp!178.0!Stewart.Mckinnon

jake@diku.dk (Jacob Bay Hansen) (02/27/91)

Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Stewart Mckinnon) writes:

>ANYWHERE. I don't think I advanced a NINJA LEVEL the entire game!
>I would strongly recommend using characters from CHAOS STRIKES BACK
>PRISON, rather thab
>(ooops!) rather than ones from DM1. I just don't think they'll be
>up to it! Anyway, hope I've answered your questions!

I strongly disagree. I've completed CSB once allready, and is trying
with some characters from the prison this time. I find it VERY hard
to survive with these 'novices'. The ONLY two characters of any reel
use is 'Lor' and 'Kazai' (The hidden ones). My characters from DM
are alot more useful i.e my fighters have 660 and 637 hit points,
and my wizard/priest's have 240 and 223 mana a hole lot more than
ANY of the 'Prison'-characters.
About Ninja levels. All my characters are adept Ninjas but I find
it a useless class in CSB. Although it adds points to dex etc. one
have NO use for 'star-throwers' or 'arrow-shooters' when one casts MON
fireballs with every character. (Useable only a few places like when
one needs to kill skeletons through grates.)

--Jake/Jacob Bay Hansen

-	Jake@freja.diku.dk	-	Just me and my AMIGA	-

tromp@cwi.nl (John Tromp) (02/28/91)

jake@diku.dk (Jacob Bay Hansen) writes:
>Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Stewart Mckinnon) writes:
>>I would strongly recommend using characters from CHAOS STRIKES BACK
>>PRISON, rather thab
>>(ooops!) rather than ones from DM1. I just don't think they'll be
>>up to it! Anyway, hope I've answered your questions!
>I strongly disagree. I've completed CSB once allready, and is trying
>with some characters from the prison this time. I find it VERY hard
>to survive with these 'novices'. The ONLY two characters of any reel
>use is 'Lor' and 'Kazai' (The hidden ones). My characters from DM
>are alot more useful i.e my fighters have 660 and 637 hit points,
>and my wizard/priest's have 240 and 223 mana a hole lot more than
>ANY of the 'Prison'-characters.

The reason that most people play CSB with DM characters is that they've
spent so much time on builing characters, i.e. gaining levels, instead
of just doing the minimum necessary for completing the game. Using a
run and hide technique, and saving all the time until you get lucky
enough to avoid that extra blow that's about to kill your character, it's
quite possible to complete DM with a single average artisan champion.
Instead many people have spent hours and hours just hacking away in
the screamers room to get those wonderful master levels.

The same holds for CSB: you don't need much manpower, if you already
know your way around and just focus on the absolute minimum.
As an example, consider the first half of the Dain path. You often
start at the crossing with the gates, pressure plates & spiders and
later have to kill all those water monsters and ghost things to progress
to some location X.
If you get lucky (or force it by save&retry), you get to start right away
at point X. The same holds for the other Ways: you're put in one of 3 different
places, where one can save you an enormous amount of trouble over the others.

Having finished CSB with Elija (with H=999,S=999,M=329 better than Lor
and Kazai combined!), I am now trying to play the game with Itza,
which I consider to be the best character in the prison by far.
Mana really is more important than health, seeing how little mana
is required for a mon vi potion. Once I get all the Corbums,
I can still decide to take a tourist's trip through all of the dungeon.

This leads to the following question: I noticed that one of the Ku starts
puts you past the mummies, spiders, and blue meanies, so naturally this
is the place I want to be put in. However, I still need that solid key.
Is there a route from the dragon's room back to e.g. the junction of the
ways that avoids all those monsters? That would make Ku a piece 'a cake.

John Tromp (tromp@cwi.nl)                     Itza says "live and let live!"

Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Stewart Mckinnon) (02/28/91)

RE: EASY WAY BACK TO KU.....On the DDD Main Level, at the entrance
to DAIN CORBUM final path, there are two pits. While facing SOUTH,
looking at the Entrance Door, simply enter the pit to your extreme
LEFT. It will drop you down several levels and you will end up in
a small passage with a teleport that will take you back to the Junction
of the Ways. CAUTION: DO THIS ONLY IF YOU HAVE PREVIOUSLY FALLEN IN
TO THIS SAME AREA AND SAW THE INSCRIPTION "SURRENDER YOUR POSSESSIONS".
If you have done this then your way will be clear. If you HAVEN'T
had this happen, then DON'T do this! You will have to remove a lot
of your possessions and then be forced to collect them in "Supplies
for the Quick". You'll just have to work your way back down the path
that you came up to the DDD on. Hope this helps!

--

pjb89@ecs.soton.ac.uk (pj Boniface) (02/28/91)

Stewart Mckinnon writes:

>I would strongly recommend using characters from CHAOS STRIKES BACK
>PRISON, rather than ones from DM1. I just don't think they'll be
>up to it !

I very much depends on how hard your DM1 characters are...
Mine were *FAR* harder than those in the prisons (even the two secret
ones !!).

>--
>Stewart Mckinnon - via FidoNet node 1:221/171
>UUCP    : watmath!xenitec!zswamp!178.0!Stewart.Mckinnon
>Internet: Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org

Peter.

--

     pjb89 @ uk.ac.soton.ecs (Computing Department, Southampton University)

My opinions are strictly public domain - they can be distributed freely,