[comp.sys.amiga.games] Lemmings/Psygnosis

huebner@en.ecn.purdue.edu (Robert E. Huebner) (02/22/91)

In article <1991Feb21.101342.2901@vax5.cit.cornell.edu> kxgj@vax5.cit.cornell.edu writes:

>Yes, I will waste a bit of money to add fuel to a useless fire.  PSYGNOSIS--
>here's another person who won't buy your products because of your attitude
>towards hard drives, second drives, and multitasking.  I've bought three
>or four in the past but no more.  Thanks for all the consideration.

I've purchased several Psygnosis games but continue to do so.  I would
never consider buying a productivity package that doesn't HD install,
but all the whining about HD-installable games is getting boring.  I'd
much rather have Psygnosis write a game that can knock my socks off
(in terms of graphics an playability) that create a well-bahaved bore
like A-10 Tank Killer.  It sounds more like people want HD support
just because they have an HD.  Multitasking would be nice, granted, but
a one floppy disk game like Lemmings (the other disk is only accessed for
the intro and boot, it seems) isn't the type of thing I'd install on my
HD if it  did work!

>To the author of Lemmings (you surfaced awhile ago)-- Do you like the fact
>that your selection of software distributor is costing you sales??  Put
>pressure on them.  The inequity between the PC and Amiga version is insulting.

Yes, insulting to the PC!  The PC doesn't even have (according to the
manual, not personal experience) a two player mode - one of the most
entertaining ways to play this game.  So would you rather have 10 lines
of HD-Install code, or a completely different and entertaining way to
play Lemmings?  Russel Kay, who posted here, wrote the PC-specific code
only (as he stated) and I really doubt he was personally responsinble for
choosing Psygnosis.  DMA has been dealing with Psygnosis for quite a
while now.

>Are we to assume that now that IBM has realized that multitasking is a
>good thing (now that they can do it) that we will see a multitasking version
>of Lemmings for the PC before we see one for the Amiga??

Yeah, as soon as they develop a multitasking environment that's at least
slightly solid.  How many games currently work under Windows?  Now substract
the ones that don't multitask.  What's left?

--
| Robert E. Huebner                   | "Death is nature's way of telling  |
| huebner@en.ecn.purdue.edu           |  you to slow down"                 |

uzun@pnet01.cts.com (Roger Uzun) (02/23/91)

[]
Don't kid yourselves, by releasing through Psygnosis, they guarantee
MASSIVE sales vs 99% (maybe 100%) of the rest of the market.
Here on USENET they may be flamed for lack of support for the A3000,
HD's etc, but they put out some awesome games, and distributors
order Psygnosis titles sight unseen.

Publishing through Psygnosis may cost some sales with some
people, but it adds MANY MANY more that is costs.

-Roger

UUCP: {hplabs!hp-sdd ucsd nosc}!crash!pnet01!uzun
ARPA: crash!pnet01!uzun@nosc.mil
INET: uzun@pnet01.cts.com

dac@prolix.pub.uu.oz.au (Andrew Clayton) (02/27/91)

In article <xs2Glx4x@cs.psu.edu>, chaiwallah writes:

> Hmm... years ago I bought a Psygnosis game called Baratacas (or some such
> thing) for my A1000.  It was sooooo bad (buggy) that I swore to never buy
> another Psygnosis product.  I haven't yet.

Whoa! When I purchased my A1000, back in June '86, the only programs OUT for
the damned machine were Deluxe Paint (V1), Animator/Images, and Brataccas.

For a first effort, it was ok. Certainly better than some of the lame software
that followed shortly after: Diablo, Little Computer People, Adventure
Construction Set, and all those other lame products.

Like I said once before about Psygnosis : Nice graphics, shame about the game.
The only thing that came close, IMHO was Blood Money, and that was just so
very very hard - so I don't LIKE Psgnosis overly much, but I don't feel that
you have a right to base your decision upon the FIRST game that a publishing
house brings out.

To do so isn't brave or revelatory, it's just you being a loudmouth.

> Regards,

Yeah? Where do you hide them? In microdot format. Gimme a break.

> Will                                  |  If we desire to defeat the enemy,

Dac
--
David Andrew Clayton. // _l _  _ dac@prolix.pub.uu.oz.au    *or*|I post.I am.
Canberra, Australia.\X/ (_](_l(_ ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au!prolix!dac@munnari.oz

buffa@kish.inria.fr (Michel Buffa) (03/01/91)

In article <xs2Glx4x@cs.psu.edu>, bralick@fangorn.entmoot.cs.psu.edu (chaiwallah) writes:
> Hmm... years ago I bought a Psygnosis game called Baratacas (or some such
> thing) for my A1000.  It was sooooo bad (buggy) that I swore to never buy
> another Psygnosis product.  I haven't yet.
>

> Regards,

     ^
This | is the most silly message posted here for a long time. Why don't you
say: I've bought the first game ever published by Psygnosis for the Amiga, it
was bad, so I concluded that they will only make bad games forever. I conclude
that you are not very intelligent. Psygnosis has made plenty of wonderful
games since Barratacas, which was really bad. They proved they knew how to
write good games. People conplain about their protections schemes, not about
the quality of their games. Look:

Barbarian, Obliterator: good in their time
Blood Money, Menace   :        "
Anarchy, Killing Game Show:    good now
Lemmings              :        one of the best game available today
Obitus:                        I've been told it is excellent
Shadow of the Beast 1 and 2:   Very pretty games, but terrible playability

I loved many of these games. I've been really disappointed by the Shadow of
the Beast serial, but in any case I could say that Psygnosis was stealing my
money. Many people should criticize other companies that write real bad games,
like US GOLD, sometimes OCEAN, sometimes other companies, but Psygnosis do its
best to make the best games. Sometimes they are too ambitious like with Shadow
of the beasts, but generally they make games that are fun to play, which uses
the amiga hardware, with nice graphics and music. ANd their last games were
all very playable. I bought Lemmings, The Killing Game Show, Anarchy, and they
are all excellent games.
Michel Buffa:       Projet Robotvis, INRIA, France

    Internet:       buffa@sardaigne.inria.fr
Surface Mail:       Michel BUFFA, INRIA - Sophia Antipolis,
                    2004, route des Lucioles, 06565 Valbonne Cedex -- FRANCE
 Voice phone:       (33) 93.65.78.39, Fax: (33) 93 65 77 65