[comp.sys.amiga.games] Dungeon bug

a481@mindlink.UUCP (J.D. Frazer) (02/25/91)

Doesn't sound like a bug at all, Robert. The echoing effect is also present in
the first ZORK.

In ZORK you had two ways of killing the echo effect. One way was to shut the
flues on the dam above you with the wrench. The other way is to type a
particular word. I think that same word will work in Dungeon.

If you're still stuck, email me and I'll forward you the solution.

--
=================================+================================
 J.D. Frazer  a481mindlink.UUCP  | Q. How many Player Characters

thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb26.065607.4477@DMI.USherb.CA> ig29@terre.DMI.USherb.CA (Robert Gagnon) writes:
>There is a bug in the version of Dungeon that was uploaded to ab20.
>The game hangs when I enter the Loud Room.  It echoes anything I type,
>but in uppercase...
>
>Anybody knows a way to fix (or go around) the bug?

CLUE: that is NOT a bug.  Sit down for awhile and THINK about what you
just wrote, then it'll come to you!  :-)

Remember: I'm the guy who took 3 weeks' vacation to play the original ZORK
on my DEC-20 back in the late '70s.  I still have the DEC-20 (in fact 3 of
them) and ZORK.  You should see my ZORK/Dungeon maps ... some are 4' x 6'
and about 1/2" thick in places due to "White-Out" and other corrections.  :-)

There ARE a few subtle differences in Dungeon from the MUDDL-based ZORK,
some immediately apparent on startup, regarding the directions one can go
to just the window at the rear of the house.

I got so engrossed with ZORK that I even wrote a script-replay program
based on PHOTO/PTY such that I can now play the entire game from start to
finish, with the ability to suspend and resume play scripts for manual
intervention during melees.

Same thing for HAUNT (the haunted-house game) from CMU.  And LUGI from
Stanford.  Gee, all this brings back fond memories.

These games make one THINK, and I suppose that's why I like them so much.

Tell you what, if you, or anyone else, REALLY gets stumped with Dungeon,
I'll help with some veiled clues.  But the real fun is self-discovery.
The ONE single thing that really stumped me for a while was the broken
stick ... that so frustrated me that I even attempted to de-compile the
compiled MUDDL (LISP-like language ideally suited for architectures like
the PDP-10 or DEC-20) in the hopes of ascertaining the data structures to
provide a clue ... this didn't work, and when I finally got the solution
I was in seventh heaven!

I will give you and everyone else one tip right now:

	Get and READ the April 1979 issue of IEEE "COMPUTER", pp 51-59

That is a special feature article "ZORK: A Computerized Fantasy Simulation
Game" by P. David Lebling, Marc S. Blank, and Timothy A. Anderson, all of
the MIT Laboratory for Computer Science, and who later formed InfoCOM.  We
even had a special meeting of the SF Bay Area IEEE Computer Society on this
topic back then.

It's my contention that "solving" ZORK/Dungeon by yourself will increase
your brain power more than the Krell machine on Altair IV (ref. "Forbidden
Planet")!   :-)

Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]

v089pfrb@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Jeffrey C Murphy) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb26.065607.4477@DMI.USherb.CA>, ig29@terre.DMI.USherb.CA (Robert Gagnon) writes...
>There is a bug in the version of Dungeon that was uploaded to ab20.
>The game hangs when I enter the Loud Room.  It echoes anything I type,
>but in uppercase...

This isn't a bug... it is one of the puzzles that you must solve in order
to complete the game (honestly!).  If I understand you correctly, while
in the loud room, anything you type is echo'd to the screen.
That is one of the puzzles found in Zork I.
I don't want to spoil it for anyone... so I'll EMail you the solution.

JM SUNYAB

cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb26.065607.4477@DMI.USherb.CA> ig29@terre.DMI.USherb.CA (Robert Gagnon) writes:
>There is a bug in the version of Dungeon that was uploaded to ab20.
>The game hangs when I enter the Loud Room.  It echoes anything I type,
>but in uppercase...

As the porter of the game, I can assure you that this is not a bug.

>Anybody knows a way to fix (or go around) the bug?

What you need my friend is a hint! (I would give it, but right off
hand, I'm not sure what hint to give.)  Play around a bit maybe you
will figure it out.  If not, ask for more help.
BUT DON'T CLAIM THAT THERE IS A BUG IN MY PROGRAM :-)!

>Robert //
>     \X/ Gagnon

Loren J. Rittle
--
``NewTek stated that the Toaster *would not* be made to directly support the
  Mac, at this point Sculley stormed out of the booth...'' -A scene at the

2fmlempire@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb26.065607.4477@DMI.USherb.CA>, ig29@terre.DMI.USherb.CA (Robert Gagnon) writes:
> There is a bug in the version of Dungeon that was uploaded to ab20.
> The game hangs when I enter the Loud Room.  It echoes anything I type,
> but in uppercase...
>
> Anybody knows a way to fix (or go around) the bug?
>
> Robert //
>      \X/ Gagnon

Its hard to give a hint for this, so I'll just say it.  You have to
type "echo" and it will reply "The accoustics of the room change subtly."
Or something like that.  It isn't a bug, just a puzzle (rather obscure though.)

David Poland
2fmlempire@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu

ig29@terre (Robert Gagnon) (02/27/91)

In article <1925@public.BTR.COM> thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) writes:
>In article <1991Feb26.065607.4477@DMI.USherb.CA> ig29@terre.DMI.USherb.CA (Robert Gagnon) writes:
>>There is a bug in the version of Dungeon that was uploaded to ab20.
>>The game hangs when I enter the Loud Room.  It echoes anything I type,
>>but in uppercase...
>>
>>Anybody knows a way to fix (or go around) the bug?
>
>CLUE: that is NOT a bug.  Sit down for awhile and THINK about what you
>just wrote, then it'll come to you!  :-)

Yes, I know now.  Thanks to everybody that emailed clues to me.

Now, do I feel stupid or what?  The problem is that when in the loud room,
you don't even get a PROMPT, so I tought the game had crashed.  I had just
read the docs that said that the original game had been written to fit in
memory, not to be portable, so...

Thanks again.

Robert //
     \X/ Gagnon

In article <1991Feb26.131711.19602@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) writes:
>In article <1991Feb26.065607.4477@DMI.USherb.CA> ig29@terre.DMI.USherb.CA (Robert Gagnon) writes:
>>There is a bug in the version of Dungeon that was uploaded to ab20.
>>The game hangs when I enter the Loud Room.  It echoes anything I type,
>>but in uppercase...
>
>As the porter of the game, I can assure you that this is not a bug.
>
>>Anybody knows a way to fix (or go around) the bug?
>
>What you need my friend is a hint! (I would give it, but right off
>hand, I'm not sure what hint to give.)  Play around a bit maybe you
>will figure it out.  If not, ask for more help.
>BUT DON'T CLAIM THAT THERE IS A BUG IN MY PROGRAM :-)!

I am sorry to have underestimated your programming abilities ;)  The darn
thing really looks like a bug...  If only the game gave you a prompt...

Do I feel stupid...

Robert //
     \X/ Gagnon

thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) (02/27/91)

In article <1991Feb27.060700.9609@DMI.USherb.CA> ig29@terre (Robert Gagnon) writes:
>Now, do I feel stupid or what?  The problem is that when in the loud room,
>you don't even get a PROMPT, so I tought the game had crashed.  I had just
>read the docs that said that the original game had been written to fit in
>memory, not to be portable, so...

There are a LOT of "possibilities" in ZORK/Dungeon.  Do yourself a real
favor and get the IEEE article I cited yesterday; looking at the IEEE
copyright info, copies CAN be made after payment (to the IEEE) of 75 cents
for each copy made (ref: "0018-9162/79/0400-0051$00.75").  I am NOT proposing
a "group copy" (unless the interest is large enough :-), but I have done
similar things for other groups before, so I do have all the "mechanics" in
place.  Lessee some discussion about this ...

Back to the game ...

There's also something that can be done PRIOR to entering the room being
discussed that "disables" that room's peculiarities.

And, though NOT documented (syntactically) with the new Amiga Dungeon, write
down these two "hints" since the command syntax IS different from the DEC-20
and the InfoCom versions:

	ANSWER, <response>

	TELL <actor>, <command>

The DEC-20 and InfoCom versions' syntax is:

	ANSWER "<response>"

	TELL <actor> "<command>"

Note the difference regarding comma usage and quoted strings.  I'll leave it
to YOU to discover where these commands might be useful!  :-)

Now I have a question for everyone:

	What the heck is a ``palintir'' ?

I heard that word 12 years ago in reference to ZORK, never knew what it meant
then, and still don't know.  Reason I'm asking is because the palintir episode
is apparently not implemented in the (new) Dungeon (per its docs).

Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]

stuart@sequoia.cray.com (Stuart Mitchell) (03/01/91)

If my memory serves me correctly, the word "palantir" comes from Lord of the Rings, and refers to a crystal globe that can be used for long distance
communication (with another palantir).

I can't remember anything about a palantir when I used to play Dungeon way
back on an old PDP 11, but there again I never finished it, so I may just
never have gotten that far.

stuart
(stuart@cray.com)