[comp.sys.amiga.games] Wizardry - quite system friendly

cg@ami-cg.UUCP (Chris Gray) (02/24/91)

For those of you with hard disks, lots of memory and faster processors
looking for a game that will fit right in, try the new "Wizardry: Bane of
the Cosmic Forge" from Sir-Tech software. A friend and I just finished a
few hours of play. I ran it straight from my HD on my 68020, and didn't
even need any assigns. When done, it exited fine, and here I am posting
news. While playing, my machine was polled several times and unpacked
news just fine. We left the game running idle for a couple of hours over
supper, as well. Looks like a fine job to me.

--
Chris Gray  usenet: alberta!ami-cg!cg
	    CIS: 74007,1165

nad@tegra.COM (Nancy Durgin) (02/26/91)

In article <cg.6098@ami-cg.UUCP> cg@ami-cg.UUCP (Chris Gray) writes:
>For those of you with hard disks, lots of memory and faster processors
>looking for a game that will fit right in, try the new "Wizardry: Bane of
>the Cosmic Forge" from Sir-Tech software. A friend and I just finished a
>few hours of play. I ran it straight from my HD on my 68020, and didn't
>even need any assigns. When done, it exited fine, and here I am posting
>news. While playing, my machine was polled several times and unpacked
>news just fine. We left the game running idle for a couple of hours over
>supper, as well. Looks like a fine job to me.
>
>--
>Chris Gray  usenet: alberta!ami-cg!cg
>	    CIS: 74007,1165

Agreed on this completely.  I've been playing it on my 3000 under 2.0 with
zero problems...

And besides that, the game itself is totally awesome...  It's the best
simulation of a real FRP (i.e. live with real people) that I've played to
date.  That's the best way to sum it up.

There were some posts a while ago asking for help in the early part of
the game.  If people are still stuck, I've gotten quite far into the
game, so I'll be happy to give hints to those who are stuck.

	Nancy

Nancy Durgin          | (Usual disclaimers | Tegra-Varityper, Inc.
uunet!tegra!nad       | apply...)          | Billerica, Massachusetts

scottf@cai.uucp (Scott Fleming) (02/28/91)

>Agreed on this completely.  I've been playing it on my 3000 under 2.0 with
>zero problems...

Thanks, I've been waiting to hear this.  I should have one soooon!

>And besides that, the game itself is totally awesome...  It's the best
>simulation of a real FRP (i.e. live with real people) that I've played to
>date.  That's the best way to sum it up.
>
>	Nancy

>--
I would have to agree with you again here.  Are you on Bix?  I've been hearing
alot about this, so I went out and bought it.  It is good, with the only draw
back being the poor graphics(EGA).  No, the graphics are not that bad, its the
animation(if thats what you want to call it).

	Scott
	Bix: sfleming
		"shall we dance"?

cosc12t2@jetson.uh.edu (C. Viles) (03/01/91)

In article <2099@joker.tegra.COM>, nad@tegra.COM (Nancy Durgin) writes:
> In article <cg.6098@ami-cg.UUCP> cg@ami-cg.UUCP (Chris Gray) writes:
>>For those of you with hard disks, lots of memory and faster processors
>>looking for a game that will fit right in, try the new "Wizardry: Bane of
>>the Cosmic Forge" from Sir-Tech software. A friend and I just finished a
>>few hours of play. I ran it straight from my HD on my 68020, and didn't
>>even need any assigns. When done, it exited fine, and here I am posting
>>news. While playing, my machine was polled several times and unpacked
>>news just fine. We left the game running idle for a couple of hours over
>>supper, as well. Looks like a fine job to me.
>>
>>--
>>Chris Gray  usenet: alberta!ami-cg!cg
>>	    CIS: 74007,1165
>

> Agreed on this completely.  I've been playing it on my 3000 under 2.0 with
> zero problems...

Well, can't say that for myself.  I've got a 2000 running 1.3 with 1 Meg Chip
and whenever I jump to the workbench screen and try to do anything with the
CLI/Shell, nothing happens.  Bane seems to trap all input from the keyboard,
so none of it reaches the active window on the workbench screen.  The mouse
works fine, though.

This problem may not occur when you use mouse commands (I'm using the keyboard
only), so you may have missed it.

Je boit, donc je suis!

nad@tegra.COM (Nancy Durgin) (03/01/91)

In article <8672.27cd3d72@jetson.uh.edu> cosc12t2@jetson.uh.edu (C. Viles) writes:
>In article <2099@joker.tegra.COM>, nad@tegra.COM (Nancy Durgin) writes:
>> In article <cg.6098@ami-cg.UUCP> cg@ami-cg.UUCP (Chris Gray) writes:
>>>For those of you with hard disks, lots of memory and faster processors
>>>looking for a game that will fit right in, try the new "Wizardry: Bane of
>>>the Cosmic Forge" from Sir-Tech software. A friend and I just finished a
>>>few hours of play. I ran it straight from my HD on my 68020, and didn't
>>>even need any assigns. When done, it exited fine, and here I am posting
>>>news. While playing, my machine was polled several times and unpacked
>>>news just fine. We left the game running idle for a couple of hours over
>>>supper, as well. Looks like a fine job to me.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Chris Gray  usenet: alberta!ami-cg!cg
>>>	    CIS: 74007,1165
>>

>> Agreed on this completely.  I've been playing it on my 3000 under 2.0 with
>> zero problems...
>
>Well, can't say that for myself.  I've got a 2000 running 1.3 with 1 Meg Chip
>and whenever I jump to the workbench screen and try to do anything with the
>CLI/Shell, nothing happens.  Bane seems to trap all input from the keyboard,
>so none of it reaches the active window on the workbench screen.  The mouse
>works fine, though.
>
>This problem may not occur when you use mouse commands (I'm using the keyboard
>only), so you may have missed it.

Actually, yes, you are right.  You can't type anything into CLI's when
the game is running.  I didn't notice it right away, but it is indeed a
problem in both keyboard and mouse mode.  Okay, so they screwed up a little!
(Perhaps it isn't a problem on other custom screens?  I haven't tried it
that way...).

That is kind of unfortunate, as it means you couldn't be doing real work
(compiling or something) interactively in the background while playing the
game.