[comp.sys.amiga.games] MechForce?

edgar@csri.toronto.edu (Edgar LeBel) (01/31/91)

What is MechForce?  Can someone give a capsule description?

Hobie Orris

ko0m+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kevin Richard O'Toole) (02/02/91)

What is Mechforce?

Mechforce my friends, is not merely a game but a way of life.  It is a
sublime state of existence alternating between nervana and hell.  It is
another dimension of particle weapons, characters, technology, and
fantasy.  In the beginning they was MechFort, and it was good.  Then
Ralph said "Let there be BattleForce."  And it was better.  Then Ralph
said "I shall populate the realms of BattleForce with mechs of all sizes
and shapes." And thus the stock mechs came into existance, as well as
the NPC's.  Then Ralph said "I shall give the lords of Battleforce the
abilitly to create new creatures, both metallic and carbon with which to
conquer and war." Thus came the Warrior maker and the Mech factory.
Ralph looked down and saw that this was good.   Ralph then realized that
his lords needed to be able to move earth, and mold battles more fully
to their tastes they brought their characters from mere Green rank to
the realm of knighthood and veterans.  They needed to be able to mold
the earth so that these warriors could grow and prosper, and dominate
the mech world, so Ralph said "Let there be the map editor".  Ralph
looked down and saw that this was good.  In the coming days (years)
Ralph looked about him as the lords of Battleforce created mechs of
amazing enginuity, and made warriors to pilot them with grace and skill.
 Some have even been known to tinker with the genetic makeup of mechs
and men (sector edit) in order to create invincible monstrosities of
flesh and metal.
As Ralph looked on he continued to update his creation with new mechs of
his own, until finally he decided on a major revision:  and thus we had
MECHFORCE.  The mechs didn't fly the same, the weapons had new names,
things fought better...new breeds of mechs and men were needed.  And so
Mechforce has become all consuming for some, as they learn to attack and
defend.  Many now know the utility of the mountains, the death of the
swamps, the horror at rolling a 2 when all that was needed to remain
standing was a 3, and they have seen Battlelords destroyed by a stray
machine gun round from a Gatling which hit the giant Autocannon 20
ammunition and turned the battlelord into a burning shell on the plain.
Yes Mechforce 3.71 is out, and it is amazing.

{Someone else want to tell him how the game is actually played.}

Kevin R. O'Toole
ko0m@andrew.cmu.edu

ps. Sorry for the length, I just got carried away in a religious fervor.

hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland) (02/02/91)

In article <kbeQ_gG00io3QDTFdA@andrew.cmu.edu> ko0m+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kevin Richard O'Toole) writes:
:What is Mechforce?
:
[...]

	You capture the addictive nature of the game well, even if
your history on it is a little off.

What we now know as Mechforce on the Amiga is based on the Board/Role
Playing Game by FASA known as BATTLETECH. The original computerized
version was thusly known as BATTLEMECH and was found to take a lot of
drudgery out of playing the game and offered randomly created
battlefields to do it in. BATTLEFORT was thusly named as it was the
first version to support Dropships and fortresses, of a sort.
Basically large, immobile bases which people in the mechs could have a
wonderfully good time smashing the hell out of. After that game
Mechforce which removed the forts, but added characters and changed a
few rules to bring it in line with the rules of Battletech. (Jumping,
for instance, is now handled as it is in the Boardgame and hand can
now be removed from the arms to allow large weapons to be installed)

Word has it that Ralph is working on a commercial version with a large
scale to it to possibly include Aerotech fighters and Citytech city
battles.

Should prove interesting..

				--Moriland

--
| hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu |    __                                |
|                               | __/// Viva Amiga!                    |

elf@sumax.seattleu.edu (Elf Sternberg) (02/03/91)

> MECHFORCE.  The mechs didn't fly the same, the weapons had new names,

        They don't have new names on my machine.  They even have the same
houses!  See what a good programmer can do with a copy of SPLAT ?

> Kevin R. O'Toole
> ko0m@andrew.cmu.edu

________________________________________________.sig 42________________
Elf Sternberg      | It's about ass: you either kick it, or you lick it
elf@halcyon.wa.com |

> ps. Sorry for the length, I just got carried away in a religious fervor.
        'Sallright!

saint@alessia.dei.unipd.it (Gian Uberto Lauri 228495) (02/06/91)

From article <kbeQ_gG00io3QDTFdA@andrew.cmu.edu>, by ko0m+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kevin Richard O'Toole):
> What is Mechforce?

[... omissis ...]

> Yes Mechforce 3.71 is out, and it is amazing.

The words are 3 :

 ####                                     #             ##       #      ##
  ##                                     ##                     ##     ####
  ##           ##   ##  ####   #####    #####          ###     #####   ####
  ##           ## # ##     ##  ##  ##    ##             ##      ##      ##
  ##           #######  #####  ##  ##    ##             ##      ##      ##
  ##           ####### ##  ##  ##  ##    ## #           ##      ## #
 ####           ## ##   ### ## ##  ##     ##           ####      ##     ##

			PLEASE HELP ME!

                                                              ,
 /\           ___  /\                                 -====-xx+         __
/___/\_|_|\_|__|__/__ Gian Uberto "Rambo" Lauri    /    | \MM `       /| |
  //--\| | \|  |    / saint@alessia.dei.unipd.it /<____/|  \_________/-+-|
\/                \/                            <_____ /--------------|_/
I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that            O               o

saint@alessia.dei.unipd.it (Gian Uberto Lauri 228495) (02/07/91)

From article <4989@vela.acs.oakland.edu>, by hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland):
> few rules to bring it in line with the rules of Battletech. (Jumping,
> for instance, is now handled as it is in the Boardgame and hand can
> now be removed from the arms to allow large weapons to be installed)

That can make me think that even in the old shareware release it could
be possible to have something like Clan's Omnimechs. Am I wrong ?

                                                              ,
 /\           ___  /\                                 -====-xx+         __
/___/\_|_|\_|__|__/__ Gian Uberto "Rambo" Lauri    /    | \MM `       /| |
  //--\| | \|  |    / saint@alessia.dei.unipd.it /<____/|  \_________/-+-|
\/                \/                            <_____ /--------------|_/
I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that            O               o

hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland) (02/09/91)

}From article <4989@vela.acs.oakland.edu>, by hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu (Moriland):
}
}That can make me think that even in the old shareware release it could
}be possible to have something like Clan's Omnimechs. Am I wrong ?
}

I'd have to say that is wrong. The jumping style was based on fuel in
the older versions instead of hexes. It was possible to have a 100 ton
mech jump several hexes. Now, at most, it can only jump 2 to 3 hexes.
As far as I know, no Clan-Tech type stuff has been added to the game
as of yet, although I have heard rumors that the commercial version
will add such things.

					===Les===

--
| hastoerm@vela.acs.oakland.edu |    __                                |
|                               | __/// Viva Amiga!                    |
| Founder Of: Evil Young        | \XX/                                 |
| Mutants For A Better Tomorrow |       "Single Tasking: JUST SAY NO!" |

kanta@sapphire.idbsu.edu (cs12501- Jay A Kanta) (02/13/91)

Hey, can someone tell me how to get MechForce to work on my HD?  I've got a
20 meg A590 (which, by the way, don't ever buy) and I've tried to change all the
configurations to dh0, but it will just show the screen asking what type of battle
you want to fight, and then it stops...
I still have a problem with Falcon too, I get a whole bunch of strange characters
even when I load it from CLI.  I wonder if a HD is worth it?   YEAH!!!
	Thanks early-
                       Jay

cs301c26@pc.usl.edu (Warren Brian R) (02/21/91)

I was wondering about something. I have the one of the older versions, which
was called "BattleFort." Is it worth it to try to get a copy of the 3.71
update from DevWare (no local BBSes in Baton Rouge have it) or just send
in the $25 and wait for the mail?

						Thanks,
						Brian

dietz@sask.usask.ca (03/01/91)