[comp.sys.amiga.games] LemmingsDemo.zom

C503719@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Baird McIntosh) (02/28/91)

I got the Lemmings Demo working, but I have a question:

I boot up with the Lemmings Demo disk in df0:, but quite often the
demo freezes up before I get to the main menu screen.  This happens
especially when I am trying to 'warm boot' into Lemmings.  I find that
I have the most luck getting it to run if I 'cold boot'--this doesn't
always work.  Also, after I played for a while, one of the levels loaded
in had trashed graphics.  I returned to the menu and reloaded that level
and all was well.

My conclusion:  this demo has some ULTRA-SENSITIVE disk loading routines.
My question:  am I right, and is the release version as sensitive?

It's a really cute game; I just wish I could get it to load more often.
(BTW: my system is A2000, 1 meg (512k is CHIP), 2 internal Commodore floppies,
Kickstart ROM 1.3)

| Baird McIntosh | c503719@umcvmb.missouri.edu <-or-> c503719@umcvmb.bitnet |
|    "K I L L   T H E   R A T !"  -- seen on a sign at a pro-Gulf_War rally |
|                                                                           |

mager@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Rainer V Mager) (03/01/91)

	Hi, well I found the arp.library, thanx much to all who
responded to my plea.  For those who wrote asking if I had found the
library yes I have it is at the following location, I found it in the
first one, the rest were places I was told it is at, but I do not know.

	By the way, Lemmings IS a good game, now that I've gotten to
play it.

Rainer Mager
mager@unix.cis.pitt.edu

uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.ed
ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
gatekeeper.dec.com
abcfd20.larc.nasa.gov
	/usenet/comp.binaries.amiga/volume89/dos

colas@lemur.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) (03/01/91)

In article <21446@know.pws.bull.com>, C503719@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Baird
McIntosh) writes:
> My conclusion:  this demo has some ULTRA-SENSITIVE disk loading routines.
> My question:  am I right, and is the release version as sensitive?

more probably, the disk routines are checksum-less, as most custom game routines
are. So try DiskSalve the disk and run on a copy...

Also: this disk may have the "ntsc" program in its startup-sequence to have
full
scale display on PAL amigas. I do not knoe if it is your problem, but if it is
there, try to comment it in the startup-sequnce

--
Colas Nahaboo, colas@sa.inria.fr, Bull Research, Koala Project, GWM X11 WM
Phone:(33) 93.65.77.70(.66 Fax), INRIA, B.P.109 - 06561 Valbonne Cedex, FRANCE.

twells@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Tabor Wells) (03/02/91)

colas@lemur.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) writes:

>In article <21446@know.pws.bull.com>, C503719@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU (Baird
>McIntosh) writes:
>> My conclusion:  this demo has some ULTRA-SENSITIVE disk loading routines.
>> My question:  am I right, and is the release version as sensitive?

>more probably, the disk routines are checksum-less, as most custom game routines
>are. So try DiskSalve the disk and run on a copy...

>Also: this disk may have the "ntsc" program in its startup-sequence to have
>full
>scale display on PAL amigas. I do not knoe if it is your problem, but if it is
>there, try to comment it in the startup-sequnce

Well because the demo is all custom os, there's no way hes going to be able to
edit the startup-seq. Also if he trys to run DiskSalv, he'll just kill program
because DiskSalv looks for standard AmigaDOS disks, not the custom Psygnosis
disks.
	Tabor Wells
	twells@eecs.cs.pdx.edu

>--
>Colas Nahaboo, colas@sa.inria.fr, Bull Research, Koala Project, GWM X11 WM
>Phone:(33) 93.65.77.70(.66 Fax), INRIA, B.P.109 - 06561 Valbonne Cedex, FRANCE.
|	Tabor Wells		     |   go on some diets. You die.       |
|	twells@eecs.cs.pdx.edu	     |	        			  |

colas@lemur.inria.fr (Colas Nahaboo) (03/04/91)

In article <1825@pdxgate.UUCP>, twells@eecs.cs.pdx.edu (Tabor Wells) writes:
> Well because the demo is all custom os,

The lemmings.zom demo I uploaded is a standard AmigaDos disk. Perhaps its why
there is a "pirate" intro, who just AmigaDos-ed it.