[comp.sys.amiga.games] Lemmings: variable codes for different machines?

cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu) ((Werjun), Norfolk State University) (02/24/91)

I got Lemmings three days ago, and yes, it is a very good game. (I say that in
spite of the fact that I HATED the demo.) My husband and I have both been
playing it, each on our own Amigas, and writing down the codes for each
new level.  Now here's my question:

The codes he gets on his machine are different from the ones I get on my
machine.  Sound weird? I thought he had just miscopied the letters...until
it happened on more than one level, on more than one occasion.  The codes
might be real similar, but they ARE different. Has anyone else noticed
this?

BTW, when I go back and enter a code I got on MY machine previously, it
works perfectly.

This may be another form of copy protection; I dunno.  I do know that although
the game takes over my OS, it does not gronk and grind as bad as some other
programs do.

I think it is well worth the money.

As an aside, I think this game may have uses on an educational level.  Yeah,
yeah,
I know, you're saying, "It's just an arcade game."  But think: every time you
get to a new screen, you have to do some creative thinking and some
problem solving.  If one strategy won't work, another might.....there's not
just ONE way to skin a cat, you know.

I teach school; one of my biggest complaints is that kids usually *don't*
think.  They want to learn one correct way of doing a task, and they want that
way to work in all situations.  Lemmings is one way of getting them to
work around a tricky situation.

glee@tigris.uucp (Godfrey Lee) (03/01/91)

In article <682.27c6896d@vger.nsu.edu> cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu) ((Werjun), Norfolk State University) writes:
>The codes he gets on his machine are different from the ones I get on my
>machine.  Sound weird? I thought he had just miscopied the letters...until
>it happened on more than one level, on more than one occasion.  The codes
>might be real similar, but they ARE different. Has anyone else noticed
>this?

The codes are not unique. Even if you play a level twice on the same machine
you get slightly different codes. All of them are still valid codes though.

--
Godfrey Lee
cunews!tigris!glee	or	glee@tigris.ocunix.on.ca

ben@abekrd.co.uk (Ben Freeman) (03/02/91)

In <682.27c6896d@vger.nsu.edu> cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu) ((Werjun), Norfolk State University) writes:

>The codes he gets on his machine are different from the ones I get on my
>machine.  Sound weird? I thought he had just miscopied the letters...until
>it happened on more than one level, on more than one occasion.  The codes
>might be real similar, but they ARE different. Has anyone else noticed
>this?
>
>BTW, when I go back and enter a code I got on MY machine previously, it
>works perfectly.

I found playing a level twice will give two different codes for the next
level, when played on the same machine. I guess the level and rating are
used to generate the code for the screen, with some random factor thrown
in.

Ben Freeman,                    Net: ben@abekrd.co.uk
Abekas Video Systems Ltd.       UUCP:  ...!mcsun.EU.net!ukc!pyrltd!abekrd!ben
12, Portman Road,               Tel: 0734 585421
Reading,                        Telex: 847579
Berks RG3 1EA                   Fax: 0734 597267

cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu (03/05/91)

In article <1991Mar1.053001.26473@tigris.uucp>, glee@tigris.uucp (Godfrey Lee) writes:
> In article <682.27c6896d@vger.nsu.edu> cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu) ((Werjun), Norfolk State University) writes:
>>The codes he gets on his machine are different from the ones I get on my
>>machine.  Sound weird? I thought he had just miscopied the letters...until
>
> The codes are not unique. Even if you play a level twice on the same machine
> you get slightly different codes. All of them are still valid codes though.

   I beg to differ with this last.  The game would NOT let us enter either of
the recorded codes for levels played by both of us on different machines.  I
always end up going back to a level that I personally finished, entering the
code for that one, and then working my way back up.  It gets to be real
frustrating.

The only way I can think of around this is for each of us to have our OWN
Lemmings game, for use on our OWN machines and no other.

Any other ideas out there?

Jean

d0nostro@dtek.chalmers.se (Henrik Alteborn) (03/06/91)

In article <699.27d29fe9@vger.nsu.edu>, cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu writes:

|> > The codes are not unique. Even if you play a level twice on the same machine
|> > you get slightly different codes. All of them are still valid codes though.
|> >
|>    I beg to differ with this last.  The game would NOT let us enter either of
|> the recorded codes for levels played by both of us on different machines.  I
|> always end up going back to a level that I personally finished, entering the
|> code for that one, and then working my way back up.  It gets to be real
|> frustrating.
|>
|> The only way I can think of around this is for each of us to have our OWN
|> Lemmings game, for use on our OWN machines and no other.
|>
|> Any other ideas out there?
|>
|> Jean

First thing I did when my Lemming disks showed up was to write unable them,
because I don't want to cold start my machine every time just to get rid of
eventual virus or likewise nasty progs.
Besides, the game doesn't need to be write enabled.
I have no troubble with my disks, I think that you shouldn't either if you
write unable your disks.

About the code, one thing one can see after some comparision is that characters
8 and 9 tells which level it is. In hexadecimal code from B(=0) to Q(=15).
The rest of the code alters with the time and Lemmings saved on the previous
level, I beleive.

Henrik