[net.travel] Need Eurrail Info

ahh@pucc-h (Mark Davis) (03/03/86)

I will be taking a trip to Europe this summer with my wife. We
are trying to get as much information on Europe that we can. I would
appreciate if anyone could send me any info they have on Eurrail,
Europe or other things pertaining to European travel. We are trying to
make plans but be as Spontainious as possible.

	      Thanks

	      Mark Davis

ibdemc@mhuxr.UUCP (CUNDARI) (03/05/86)

This months Travel & Leisure (with Joan Collins on the cover!) has
a pretty good article regarding Eurail and other train passes. They give
an address to write to from which you can get full details. They also give
some good advice and info. It's probably worth reading, for starters. What
you should be aware of is Eurail is now offering discounts to groups of
3. Perhaps it's worth talking to some fellow travelers and to a travel
agent who can arrange the whole thing for you.

alan@mtxinu.UUCP (Alan Tobey) (03/06/86)

What really boosts the ability to take advantage of
spontaneity in Europe via Eurailpass is 1) MAPS, lots of MAPS!
Granted I'm a map freak (I've got a road map of the Truk atoll
in my files just in case ... :-)), you can't plan where to go
if you can't figure out where the railroads run.
Michelin maps have enough railroad information to be useful,
and they include the local lines that don't show up on larger-scale
maps.  I remember a wonderful day when we decided to try to get
from Libourne to Le Puy through France's Massif Central; the station
agent in Libourne set us up on FOUR different local trains, with the
maximum wait between trains being 14 minutes! [Are you listening, Amtrak?]
Which brings me to 2) some minimal local-language ability, enough to
explain to railroad agents that you really aren't heading to Paris
like everyone else and yes you really do want to go to that obscure
town in the Pyrenees.

Beyond that, maximize the freedom you have to literally jump off the
train at any town that looks interesting  [if your impulse doesn't
pan out there'll be another train along soon] and work to discover the
obscure local branch lines that go to/through places where tourists
are unknown.  If you stick to small towns you'll never have a problem
getting a hotel room or camping in the municipal campground.
You'll know you're on the right train when (as happened to us twice)
you meet a conductor who's never SEEN a Eurailpass before and needs
to be convinced that it's valid!

passaro@acf4.UUCP (Mike Passaro) (03/07/86)

I used a Eurrail pass while in Europe last summer, but European train
travel (albeit much better and cheaper than US train travel) is not the
wondrously romantic experience I'd heard it was.

There are two different types of passes:  first and second class.  Last
year, the first class was $400 and the second class was $290 for one
month.  You have to be under 26 years old to get a second class (or
"Youthpass" as they call it) Eurrail pass.  Any travel agency --
especially one connected with or near a college -- will have lots of
info. on the Eurrail pass system.

Although you said you were interested in travelling spontaneously, you
should try to figure out if it's worth it to get a pass.  The reason I
got one is because my Grandparents subsidized this part of my trip.  If
I was financing it myself, I think it would have cost just about the
same if I had bought separate tickets for each train trip.  Map out a
basic itinerary, and get train prices from each country's tourism
office in this country.  However, the *ease* of purchase associated
with the Eurrail pass is worth a lot.  With a pass, you do not have to
wait in long lines to purchase tickets, and with a first class pass,
your reservations are automatically confirmed.

My advice would be to get a first class pass, even if you qualify for
the Youthpass.  With a second class pass, you have to pay extra for
confirmed reservations, express trains, and sleeping cars.  These are
all free with a first class pass.

If you plan on doing ANY train travel in Italy, I strongly recommend a
first class pass.  Italy is a great country, I'm Italian, and I had an
incredible time there visiting where my grandparents were born, etc.
However, the train travel *sucks* there.  The trains are ancient,
mostly unairconditioned, and dirty.  You must make sure -- repeatedly
-- if you are actually on the train going to your destination.  I
learned my lesson when traveling from Milan to Venice.  I had asked the
conductor (only once) if this was the train to Venice.  I was assured
that it was.  Yet, as I was sitting on the train waiting to leave
(Italian trains never leave on time)  I saw the train to Venice pull
out of the station (the train's destination is always posted on the
side of each car).

If you travel second class, you have no guarantee of a seat.  I had no
problems with this (arrive early, even though the train will not leave
on time).  On a trip from Bari to Rome (6 hrs.) I sat in a second class
car while people stood the entire trip.  The car was very hot, people
insisted on smoking (in a non-smoking section) and it was a dreadful
trip (except for the scenery).  Many more stories about Italian train
travel on request...

Train travel in the other countries I visited was much better,
especially Switzerland, France and England (by the way, the Eurrail
pass is NOT good for any train travel in England.  You have to get a
BritRail pass for this.)

However, let me stress that, although some of the train travel could
be a little irritating, nothing can take away from the fantastic
experience of travelling in Europe (at least for me).  I'd love to go
back again this summer, but the dollar looks like it's only getting
worse (I made out like a bandit as far as exchange rates were
concerned).  Get the "Let's Go" books FOR THE SPECIFIC COUNTRIES YOU
PLAN ON VISITING.  The anthology "Let's Go Europe" is good, but not
nearly as detailed as the specific books.  Let me know if you have any
other questions, comments.

					--Mike Passaro
					  Ultracomputer Lab
					  New York University
					  (passaro@nyu.arpa)

jjd2775@wucec2.UUCP (03/08/86)

In article <2682@pucc-h> ahh@pucc-h (Mark Davis) writes:
>I will be taking a trip to Europe this summer with my wife. We
>are trying to get as much information on Europe that we can. I would
>appreciate if anyone could send me any info they have on Eurrail,
>Europe or other things pertaining to European travel. We are trying to
>make plans but be as Spontainious as possible.
>
>	      Thanks
>
>	      Mark Davis

     Go to any bookstore and pick up a copy of Let's Go:  Europe.
It's an orange paperback that's published by Harvard Student Travel
Services.  It's THE best guide for Eurail info., low-cost hotels,
pensiones, B&B's, restaurants, etc.  You can get the Eurail Pass from
a travel agent or directly from the address published in Let's
Go...the cost is the same.

     If you plan to spend a lot of time in a particular country, you
might want to get one of the specialized editions of Let's Go, such as
Let's Go:  France or Britain.  These books are MUCH better than
Frommer's.

     Eurailing is a blast.  The scenery from the trains is 10X better
than anything you would ever see from the window of an American
Express tour bus.

     One note:  Your Eurail pass is NOT good in Britain.  For the UK,
you would probably want to get a BritRail pass only if you plan to do
a LOT of traveling.  I usually just pay-as-I-go in Britain.

                    -Jay
--
Jay D'Lugin   (Images-R-Us)
ihnp4!wucs!wucec2!jjd2775,     ihnp4!tulane!dlugin,    or ihnp4!wucs!lucy!jay

ken@rochester.UUCP (Ipse dixit) (03/08/86)

>However, the *ease* of purchase associated
>with the Eurrail pass is worth a lot.  With a pass, you do not have to
>wait in long lines to purchase tickets, and with a first class pass,
>your reservations are automatically confirmed.

It also gives you the freedom to change your itinerary at will. I did
this several times during my 3 month trip. For example, I arrived in
Copenhagen one day to find people sleeping on the floor of the railway
station. The waiting lines were ridiculous. Alright, I thought, I head
on to Oslo and do Copenhagen on the way back.

>My advice would be to get a first class pass, even if you qualify for
>the Youthpass.  With a second class pass, you have to pay extra for
>confirmed reservations, express trains, and sleeping cars.  These are
>all free with a first class pass.

The difference in comfort between first class and second class in
Northern Europe is marginal. Watch out for national holidays - locals
pack second class at such times. I had to buy a first class pass but I
often found the company in second class more interesting. I never made
reservations, except for the TGV and sleepers. Once in a while you end
up standing in the aisles, but I prefer that to waiting in line. You
get a better view of the scenery that way too. :-)

The vade mecum of train travel is the Thomas Cook Continental
Timetable.  It is invaluable for planning and saves having to wait in
line at information counters.  Don't buy it here - the price is
ridiculous. Front up at a Thomas Cook office on arrival in Europe and
purchase one - something like $10 I think. I have also seen it in
the YHA travel shop, Southampton Court (off Covent Garden), London.

	Ken
--
UUCP: ..!{allegra,decvax,seismo}!rochester!ken ARPA: ken@rochester.arpa
Snail: CS Dept., U. of Roch., NY 14627. Voice: Ken!

ray@vger.UUCP (Ray Swartz) (03/09/86)

Here's my two cents:

I too loved the freedom a (first-class) rail pass gave me in
Europe.  You will meet real people that become "travelling"
friends (incredibly intense experiences in a very short time)
and get invited to stay places you can't even imagine.

However, some caveats.  When you travel by train, you are really
at the whim of the train system.  If you happen to be travelling
in an area with some labor unrest there is a good chance that there
will be train strikes.  During one of these I spent 4 hours in tunnels
on a "50 minute" trip.

This can be are real problem if you have gotten off the well travelled
path (i.e. 1 train every other day, or so).  While rural towns are
picturesque, some of them can get real boring after a week of enforced
immobility.  The constant trips to the train station waiting for a train
that isn't going to show can be a *very* frustrating experience
(that will bring guffaws when you recount it at home!).

Also, some countries don't have a well developed train system.
Greece and Yugoslavia provide little to the train traveller.
In addition, not all boats honor the pass (and finding this out
too late -- is there any other way? -- can be costly).

All in all, I recommend it wholeheartedly.  Just be sure to
arrive early and to confirm all information you get about
trains by 2 independent sources before you begin planning on
it.

Ray Swartz

boughter@milano.UUCP (03/10/86)

I spent a couple of months in SWitzerland in 1981 working. I was able to
do some sightseeing on weekends though and purchased a Swiss Holiday card
which is the Switzerland-only version of a Eurrail pass. At that time it
cost about half of a Eurrail pass (I also had one of those but that's another
story). The Swiss card of course is only valid in Switzerland but also covers
things like lake steamers, funiculars, etc. I found it quite valuable.
I agree however with those whose advice is to map out an itinerary and price
it and compare that with the pass. The Swiss Holiday card comes in first and
second class varieties. First class gets you slightly more comfortable seats
but is also less crowded in general. This is advantageous on Saturday morning
and Sunday evening when the Swiss military is travelling (the "draftees" get
most of the weekend off). I was on the major routes mostly and you can
literally "set your watch" by the train schedules.

Have fun!

maariano@watdaisy.UUCP (Marco Ariano) (03/11/86)

In article <5170001@acf4.UUCP> passaro@acf4.UUCP (Mike Passaro) writes:
[...]
>My advice would be to get a first class pass, even if you qualify for
>the Youthpass.  With a second class pass, you have to pay extra for
>confirmed reservations, express trains, and sleeping cars.  These are
>all free with a first class pass.

[... some complaints about Italian trains ...]

and In article <233@drutx.UUCP> jimb@drutx.UUCP (Jim Bryant) writes:
[...]
>I agree! I bought a second class ticket, and survived, but I would never
>do it again. In addition to the comments mentioned above, consider:
>
>1) [consider where you will be travelling]
>
>2) If you plan to take many "overnight" trips. [...]
>
>3) You will probably meet more students [in second class]
>
>Overall, buying a 1st class pass instead of a 2nd class allows you
>even more flexibility and gives you even more options, helping to make
>your trip more enjoyable.

I don't agree.
If you travel in northern Europe it doesn't matter anyway.  If you travel in
Southern Europe it doesn't matter either - first class is not going to
be that much better anyway.  I enjoyed slugging it out in the Italian
and Spanish trains.  'When in Rome ...' and the 'Romans' ride second
class.  If you go on less travelled lines there may not even be a first class.
Where else do you get to ride in a train with handcrafted seats of wood?

Reservations are not a problem.  You hardly ever need them unless you're
taking a night train (see below).  Surcharges are minimal and infrequent
(TEE trains, TGV in France and some Spanish trains).  I used them all
and had no problems.  The surcharge for the TGV was about $3 and we got
our reservation 2 minutes before the train arrived.  (There's that 2
minute factor again! :-)  The TGV is a blast too.  270kmh!!)

The only justifiction I can see for getting a first class pass is if
you plan on sleeping on the trains.  I didn't enjoy this probably
because I had a second class pass but I wouldn't recommend it anyway.
You spend enough time on the trains as it is.

And enjoy.  I probably wouldn't use a train pass again but only because
I wouldn't try and see all of Europe in one shot again.  For a first
trip to Europe I strongly recommend it.  (A second class pass that is :-)

bch@mcnc.UUCP (03/12/86)

My wife and I spent three weeks in Europe last spring, travelling almost
exclusively by train.  We found that by planning our itinerary we saved
about 50% off of what a Eurail pass would have cost us.  Someone has
pointed out that a Eurail pass only saves you money if you are of the
one day one city school of travel.  Being older, we prefer to linger
which perhaps made a difference.  Still, we travelled from Amsterdam
to Naples always first class and generally TEE without a pass and saved
considerable cash.

As to the convenience of a pass -- generally purchasing tickets away
from tourist centers avoids long lines.  Only crazy people buy Railroad
tickets in the Amsterdam Station -- take a 45 minute ride to Leiden
and you can get the same service in about 10 minutes that would take
two hours in Amsterdam.  When in Venice -- buy tickets in Maestre on
the mainland.  Mainz is a better place to buy train tickets than
Frankfurt, etc.

While spontaneity is nice, you can save enough money with good planning
to extend your stay by many days.  Certainly, given the cost of getting
to Europe in the first place, that is an laudable goal.
--

						Byron C. Howes
				      ...!{decvax,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!bch

boren@randvax.UUCP (Pat Boren) (03/13/86)

There's been some discussion about 1st vs. 2nd class Eurail
passes.  I've used both, but in my wise old age, I'll take the
1st class pass anyday.

The first time in Europe, 1978, I had the 2nd class Youth pass.
I went in the winter, and generally did not have much problem
getting a seat, but little niceties were missing, like heat, and
EVERYbody smoked (who cares what that sign says).  Last fall, I
decided to go with a 1st class pass, and I loved it.  Clean
windows & cars, bigger seats that recline some, more polite
people (generally the older Europeans), and people who obeyed the
No Smoking sections.  In fact, on the Paris - Geneva train, there
were "stewardesses" that served a nice breakfast (about $4) to
your seat, and that was first class only.  A couple of times we
had trouble finding seats (no reservations on our part), so we
sat in the dining car until some people got off.  This was on the
popular Zurich to Salzburg (to Vienna) route.

We looked at it from the standpoint that the trains are part of
the vacation, not just a mode of transportation.  And for us, we
enjoyed that part of the trip very much -- get a bottle of wine
and enjoy the view!

P.S.  You still meet locals in 1st class.
--

		Patricia Boren
		decvax!randvax!boren