[comp.sys.amiga.games] Wing Commander

bjames@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Binoy James [890904]) (10/17/90)

Folks,

Have any of you seen Wing Commnader on the IBM.  You need a 386, VGA and a
Soundblaster/Adlib card to play it, but boy does it play.

This must be the first cool game for the IBM.  Boy Amiga programmers better
get their ass in gear coz this game is hot.

Check it out.
Bin

ps:  When is it coming out for the Amiga, and it better be good.

dve@zooid.UUCP (David Mason) (10/19/90)

bjames@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Binoy James [890904]) writes:

> Have any of you seen Wing Commnader on the IBM.  You need a 386, VGA and a
> Soundblaster/Adlib card to play it, but boy does it play.
>
> This must be the first cool game for the IBM.  Boy Amiga programmers better
> get their ass in gear coz this game is hot.

It also needs 4 megabytes of hard disk space to play.. I bought it because I
was blown away by the demo..

It supports Roland sound card too, which is supposed to be extremely good,
but I only have a Soundblaster.

It would be good on the Amiga (wouldn't need such a souped up machine
because of the graphics coprocessor) but I wonder how many people would buy
it because surely it would need at least 4 disks.. well, the disks keep
getting better.

It's not the first good PC game, Railroad Tycoon is good, Stellar 7 is quite
amazing, etc. Problem is that these games need a fast machine.

jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Fossum) (10/20/90)

In article <1196@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU>, bjames@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Binoy James [890904]) writes:
> Folks,
>
> Have any of you seen Wing Commnader on the IBM.  You need a 386, VGA and a
> Soundblaster/Adlib card to play it, but boy does it play.

     Only a 386 and an AdLib compatible card?!; which actually means the
game is only really enjoyable to that 15% of the IBM PC population that
own both of these. The game creeps on other machines and if I'm not
mistaken, needs a high density drive to read the damn disks. This
product development is almost as intelligent as making a game that only
runs in 68000 mode!

> This must be the first cool game for the IBM.  Boy Amiga programmers better
> get their ass in gear coz this game is hot.
>
> ps:  When is it coming out for the Amiga, and it better be good.

     When it comes out for the Amiga, it better not tell me to go out
and buy an accelerator, a 100 meg hard drive (since the thing takes up
so much room; I think 11 floppies uncompressed), or anything else
that doesn't comply with the immediate Amiga consumer. Sure, the game
looks pretty and alll, but wait another year or so until release, until
the PC market has caught up technologically as a whole instead of
letting a select few enjoy. I'm sure someone could develop a really
extremely decent game for one of those 24-bit, 16 million color
cards that are being developed for the Amiga, but I'm pretty sure you
won't see it in the immediate future. Appeal to the masses, you'll
stay in business. Appeal to the few, and we'll lose another developer.

-Steve M. Suhy-

6600prao@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Parik Rao) (10/20/90)

 works fine on a 286, just eats up 560k (so you need
to really crunch things up).  Works even better on a
386, but it isn't terribly slow.  I tested it out on
a 286 @ 12 mhz w/ ad-lib and a 386 @ 33 mhz with a
roland, the 286 was decent, the speed reminded me
of fighter bomber on a a500.  On a 386 things went
by very quickly.  It does come on 3 1.2" meg drives
I believe, very compact code.  It took almost half
an hour to install on my IBM, and took up 7 megs!
Tis is because they have an option where all the
graphics are unpacked and so forth so it loads up
quickly.  You can of course leave things scrunched
and let it take longer to load.  If you are uncomfy
with the VGA speed you can drop down to EGA and play
at a good clip.

still, rick dangerous II is more fun...<grin>

gilmore@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Neil Gilmore) (10/20/90)

In article <51092@unix.cis.pitt.edu>, jcfst@unix.cis.pitt.edu (John C. Fossum) writes...

>     When it comes out for the Amiga, it better not tell me to go out
>and buy an accelerator, a 100 meg hard drive (since the thing takes up
>so much room; I think 11 floppies uncompressed), or anything else

That's 11 360k 5.25 floppies, so it won't be so bad for us. Too bad the
copy I saw had corrupted disks...
At least it says up front that it needs what it needs. I won't pay 60$
for a game anyway. There's too many good games out there for less.

| Kitakaze Tatsu Raito	Neil Gilmore     internet:gilmore@macc.wisc.edu |
| Jararvellir,          MACC, UW-Madison bitnet: gilmore@wiscmac3       |
| Middle Kingdom        Madison, Wi      DoD #00000064 (no ints here)   |

pashdown@shotput.es.com@bambam.UUCP (Pete Ashdown) (10/23/90)

bjames@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Binoy James [890904]) writes:

>Have any of you seen Wing Commnader on the IBM.  You need a 386, VGA and a
>Soundblaster/Adlib card to play it, but boy does it play.
>This must be the first cool game for the IBM.  Boy Amiga programmers better
>get their ass in gear coz this game is hot.

>ps:  When is it coming out for the Amiga, and it better be good.

I read an article this weekend about the creation of Wing Commander.  It was
in one of the video game rags, but I forget which.   Anyway, all the graphics
for Wing Commander were done on an Amiga 3000.  They ray-traced all the ships
then rotoscoped them so they wouldn't have the ray-trace look.  They are
promising Wing Commander for the Amiga soon, possibly in a CDTV version.  If
so, that would absolutely blow the IBM version out of the water.  Makes me
salivate in anticipation.

--
 /    (Rotate head 90 degrees for full effect)
 |                                                            BUNGEEEEEEEE!
 |---------------------------------------------------------------------->=<o
 \    Pete Ashdown    pashdown@esunix   ...utah-cs!esunix!pashdown

andrew@orca1.nnmdmelb.telecom.oz.au (Andrew Chau) (10/30/90)

 In regard to Wing Commander, I have an 386 PC with VGA, (no sound card though)
and I must say that WC is a must.

Graphically it is stunning, so the Amiga version must be outstanding.

Heard that the Amiga and ST version will be released early next year.

The only problem with WC is that I finished the campaign within a few days...

However, there is a secret mission disk which you can purchase, but so far it is unavailable in OZ.

dvljhg@cs.umu.se (J|rgen Holmberg) (01/20/91)

In article <1991Jan19.225157.6232@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> liebm@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Mark Lieb) writes:
>The other night, I helped a friend set up his ZEOS (MS-DOS) system.  Nice
>system.  In any case, he had a game called Wing Commander.  The game was
>great: the premise, game play, ergonomics, etc.  One of the best arcade
>games I have seen on an MS-DOS machine.  I have not heard or read anything
>about the game in regards to the Amiga market.  Has anyone heard or seen
>anything.  If memory serves, the game was put out by Origin Systems.  The
[stuff deleted]

The game will be released for the amiga and CDTV!

/Jorgen
email dvljhg@cs.umu.se - other ways to communicate are a waste of time.
Everything I say is always true, just apply it to the right reality.
"Credo, quia absurdum est."    Credo in absurdum est?

IO92257@MAINE.BITNET (01/24/91)

The I*M version of Wing Commander was created on
and Amiga 3000.... that is why it is a good game.
(Oops! Maybe I should put this in .advocacy! :)

jp4t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jean-Luc H. Park) (03/06/91)

 Yes it is a fun game, a friend of mine has it on the IBM (it's the only
reason I use his machine)

The graphics are good, but they could be a lot better in the Amiga if
the programmers give it a try and let the Amiga do what it was ment to
do, graphics.  This is Origin software (I don't know if they originally
wrote the thing, but they do package it)

There is an orderform enclosed with the game, andthere they do mention
that they are making a version for the Amiga.  it lists for something
like 69 or 70, so it is rather pricey, but it is well worth the money.
If you enjoyed elite, this is the game for you.  'cept you can't do much
about a missle up your tail pipe, it's either punch the afterburners, or
try and blast it out of the sky, [there's always the "let it hit"
approach, but we'll try and avoid that one]

J-L P

mikep@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Mike Powell) (03/07/91)

	I understand that the Amiga was used to do all the ray-tracing
	for the spacecraft images used in the game which were then converted
	to EGA/VGA graphics.....  something from the rumor mill.

	-Mike-