[comp.sys.amiga.games] Cheat for Pirates for the CANDO! program!

yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) (02/27/91)

For that Cando! cheet program maker.

in PIRATES! my Microprose

Just befor you enter a "Ship battle" click your button rappidly.
(Or at just the right time :^}  )
and you will fire "Straight" ahead, and almost allways get a
free shot on the enemy ship.

PS: the manual states vaguly that the MENU button raises sails in
combat, this'll increase speed, but also increase the chance of being damaged
by a shot.

PSS: Anyone understand Land Combat? I can't win at that to save my life!.

PSSS: Pick Medic as a special skill for a longer game.

--
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu
Willis F York

patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca (Patrick Meloy) (03/01/91)

[Stuff Deleted]
yorkw@ecn.purdue.edu writes
>in PIRATES! my Microprose
>PSS: Anyone understand Land Combat? I can't win at that to save my life!.

Land combat really isn't that difficult. The best thing to do is make sure you
have overwhelming forces :) Failing that, make the best use of cover
possible. Sail around your intended victem and find an approach to the town
that has lots of forest. Land a bit further along the shore, this will give
you some more time to position your forces. Now comes the good part. With
your forces positioned, have one a tad closer to the enemy than the others.
As this unit is hit and damaged, you can back it up just a bit so that
another unit takes the brunt of the attack. The enemy isn't smart enough to
press the attack on a damaged unit.

The one thing you don't want to do is let one of your units panic. They are
hard to get under control.

When the enemy gets a bit timid, they will sit back and wait for you to come
after them. Send one unit out to expose itself on open ground, and the
instant the enemy starts coming after you dash back to cover. Once the enemy
units are depleted enough, you can start your charge. Remember to leapfrog
your units as they get damaged!

That should let you win your first battle.

---------------------------------------
| patrick_meloy@outbound.wimsey.bc.ca |
| 'The Outbound' BBS Vancouver BC     |
---------------------------------------

jcc@frog.UUCP (Jim Chagnon) (03/02/91)

In article <yorkw.667621138@stable.ecn.purdue.edu> yorkw@stable.ecn.purdue.edu (Willis F York) writes:
>For that Cando! cheet program maker.
>in PIRATES! my Microprose
>Just befor you enter a "Ship battle" click your button rappidly.
>(Or at just the right time :^}  )
>and you will fire "Straight" ahead, and almost allways get a
>free shot on the enemy ship.

 Hmmmm....never saw this happen. I'll have to try it.

>PS: the manual states vaguly that the MENU button raises sails in
>combat, this'll increase speed, but also increase the chance of being damaged
>by a shot.

 Yeah..., But unless you use full sail (when needed), some ships escape,
 and sometimes you lose one of *your* ships if they do.

>PSS: Anyone understand Land Combat? I can't win at that to save my life!.

 The easiest way to win a land battle is to *avoid it*. Just run an arc
 around the defenders and head strait for the fort. The faster you win
 the more cash you get. Else you can ambush the defenders (leave some
 troops in the trees and lure them in with a weak force) just for fun.

 At novice level, you need 2x the original defending force to actually
 "win" the town. This increases at higher levels.

>PSSS: Pick Medic as a special skill for a longer game.  > >--

 Pick Wit and Charm for the high scores though......

jcc  120 out of 100 pirate points or so......

sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Samuel S Sostre) (03/04/91)

In article <24135@frog.UUCP> jcc@frog.UUCP (Jim Chagnon) writes:
>>PS: the manual states vaguly that the MENU button raises sails in
>>combat, this'll increase speed, but also increase the chance of being damaged
>>by a shot.

Menu button? um which one is that?

> Yeah..., But unless you use full sail (when needed), some ships escape,
> and sometimes you lose one of *your* ships if they do.
>
> At novice level, you need 2x the original defending force to actually
> "win" the town. This increases at higher levels.
>
>>PSSS: Pick Medic as a special skill for a longer game.  > >--
>
> Pick Wit and Charm for the high scores though......

I usually pick Fencing and only lose 1 or 2 battles in a  game. Unfortunately
I usually lose them when I'm 34 and "in poor health". Is there any way to
regain health?

jcc@frog.UUCP (Jim Chagnon) (03/09/91)

In article <1991Mar4.002046.25211@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> sss10@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Samuel S Sostre) writes:
>In article <24135@frog.UUCP> jcc@frog.UUCP (Jim Chagnon) didn't write:
>>>PS: the manual states vaguly that the MENU button raises sails in
>>>combat, this'll increase speed, but also increase the chance of being damaged
>>>by a shot.

>Menu button? um which one is that?

 He means the right mouse button. Use this to catch fleeing ships, or
 get to shore quickly, against a fort. In normal travel, default is full
 sail. Clicking the right mouse button lowers some sail (sails reefed).
 Use this in windy conditions near shoals to manuver slowly (bahamas,
 southern cuba, etc.).

Jim *did* write:
>> Yeah..., But unless you use full sail (when needed), some ships escape,
>> and sometimes you lose one of *your* ships if they do. [etc]

>I usually pick Fencing and only lose 1 or 2 battles in a  game. Unfortunately
>I usually lose them when I'm 34 and "in poor health". Is there any way to
>regain health?

 Nope. It would be worse if you lost the fights earlier, though.
 If you're getting badly beaten, run away. This doesn't happen
 often even if you don't pick fencing. If you pick wit and charm,
 you can have women all over the Carribean telling you where the
 Treasure Fleet and Silver Train are.

jcc

Ps to the guy whose 1000 is crashing with this game: I also play on a
   1000 from HD, with various background progs. 1 crash in about 50 games.
   How much memory do you have?