[comp.sys.amiga.games] Crazy Infuriating Journey Problem *spoiler*

maquelin@tik.ethz.ch (Olivier Maquelin) (03/08/91)

In article <2841@speedy.mcnc.org> adjones@mcnc.org (Amy D. Jones) writes:

>The problem?  If you take all the times that magic was used and
>put them together to figure out what is what, you'll find that water is the
>same colored powder as fire.  This seeming unbelievable, I went through the
>game again, visiting all my saved positions to check on the accuracy of my
>color analysis. Yup, it doesn't seem like I made a mistake.  The color for
>the MUD spell is orange, and the color for FLARE is violet.  So, the pair
>of colors for EARTH and WATER is Red and Yellow, and the color pair for Air
>and Fire is Red and Blue.  Obviously something is wrong here.

You forgot that powders can be either fine or coarse (the residues can thus
be either fine, medium or coarse). In your case, water essence may be
coarse blue and fire essence fine blue (or the other way around).

Olivier

dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com (Dennis Heffernan) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar8.152300.6282@bernina.ethz.ch> maquelin@tik.ethz.ch (Olivier Maquelin) writes:
|In article <2841@speedy.mcnc.org> adjones@mcnc.org (Amy D. Jones) writes:
|>
|>The problem?  If you take all the times that magic was used and
|>put them together to figure out what is what, you'll find that water is the
|>same colored powder as fire.  This seeming unbelievable, I went through the
|>game again, visiting all my saved positions to check on the accuracy of my
|>color analysis. Yup, it doesn't seem like I made a mistake.  The color for
|>the MUD spell is orange, and the color for FLARE is violet.  So, the pair
|>of colors for EARTH and WATER is Red and Yellow, and the color pair for Air
|>and Fire is Red and Blue.  Obviously something is wrong here.
|
|You forgot that powders can be either fine or coarse (the residues can thus
|be either fine, medium or coarse). In your case, water essence may be
|coarse blue and fire essence fine blue (or the other way around).
|
|Olivier

	The REAL problem is that magic is different in *every game you play*,
as are some of the other puzzles.  IE, what color does what is *random*.
Meaning, any chart someone fobbed off on you is worthless- you have to compare
instances of magic use *from within the particular set of sessions you are
trying to solve*.

	I had to start the game over and print out the whole darned thing to
finish it...

dfrancis@tronsbox.xei.com    Dennis Francis Heffernan	GEnie: D.HEFFERNAN1
"Look...I sympathize with your problem, but all things considered, I'd rather
talk about me."  --Murphy Brown