[net.travel] Florida during spring break...Can I still enjoy it?

stone@kvue.UUCP (Anthony Stone) (03/09/86)

As part of a three week sample of America, my girlfriend (she's from Germany
and this is her first visit here) and I will be spending 4-5 days in Florida
beginning March 18. We're taking Amtrak to Orlando, where we'll spend a day
or two at Disney World (thanks net.travel for the tips on where NOT to go!)
and few days at the beach.

My question to Florida residents and experienced travelers is:

   Where's a central Florida beach (on either of the coasts near Orlando) that
will remain relatively sparse during spring break? You know, The kind you could
walk for a mile and hear only the ocean and not a transistor radio every 100
feet. We will have a rental car so driving is no problem.

Please reply soon as I'll be leaving on the 16th! Thanks for your help.

					Anthony Stone
					stone@kvue.UUCP

tjsmedley@watmum.UUCP (Trevor J. Smedley) (03/11/86)

>   Where's a central Florida beach (on either of the coasts near Orlando) that
>will remain relatively sparse during spring break? You know, The kind you could
>walk for a mile and hear only the ocean and not a transistor radio every 100
>feet. We will have a rental car so driving is no problem.

I know the perfect beach. It meets all of your requirements except
one. It's not in central Florida. It's just outside Halifax, Nova
Scotia, Canada. In fact there are quite a few beaches in the area
where you would have no problem walking for a mile, hearing only the
ocean during spring break. Among the possibilities are; Lawrenecetown,
Clam Harbour, Martinique, Conrad's ... Basically, all you would have
to do is head for Halifax, ask someone where the nearest beach is, and
I can almost guarantee that it will be completely deserted in March.
Also, you would have the added advantage of your dollar being worth
much more here in Canada. There is, however, one slight disadvantage.
It might not be quite as warm as Florida. But then, you said you
wanted to walk, not swim :-)

Trevor J. Smedley                    University of Waterloo

{decvax,allegra,ihnp4,utzoo}!watmum!tjsmedley

leslie@cylixd.UUCP (Leslie Hazenfield) (03/14/86)

In article <250@kvue.UUCP> stone@kvue.UUCP (Anthony Stone) writes:

>   Where's a central Florida beach (on either of the coasts near Orlando) that
>will remain relatively sparse during spring break? You know, The kind you could
>walk for a mile and hear only the ocean and not a transistor radio every 100
>feet. We will have a rental car so driving is no problem.
>
>					Anthony Stone
>					stone@kvue.UUCP

	I'm not a resident of Florida, but I have lived in the
Southeast for the past 14 years, and have vacationed in Florida
quite a bit.

	The Tampa/St. Petersburg area seems to be relatively quiet
during Spring break. Most "Spring breakers" travel to Daytona, Miami,
and Ft.Lauderdale on the Atlantic side, and Destin and Fort Walton on
the Gulf. Tampa is about a 2 hour drive from Orlando.

	The shelling seems to be pretty good on Treasure Island (just
north of St. Pete beach); better than prospects on the Atlantic side. I
hear there is a good sandbar just off of St. Pete beach that's loaded
with sand dollars. Of course, if you're interested in some really good
shelling, Sanibel is the place to go. It is about 125 miles south of
Tampa and really wouldn't qualify as a central Florida Beach.

	Tampa is also the host of Busch Gardens, a wildlife preserve
of sorts which you can drive through, and see African wildlife in
"natural" surroundings. You also can get free glasses (1 or 2, I think)
of Busch beer! :)

	Another beach you might consider is Satellite Beach, which is
just south of Cape Canaveral. Actually, most of the beach just south
of Cape Canaveral is pretty uncluttered. There is, however, an Air
Force Base near Satellite Beach, so there will probably be quite
a bit of air traffic. (I love it - I'm an ex-brat and was raised around
it!).

	Hope this helps some and ENJOY!!.