[comp.sys.amiga.games] F-19 Stealth Fighter problem?

lyons@ssdvx2.mdcbbs.com (02/25/91)

Help!  I'm have problems saving my pilots in F-19.  The Amiga tech supplement
says if disk A is write enabled, your pilots will be automatically saved on to
that disk.  But the next time I boot the game up, my pilot is gone and the
original roster is back.  Has anyone had a similar problem?  How do you save
the pilots?  Thanx.

                                               -Glenn

elaine@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Elaine May) (02/25/91)

There is a rumor on GEnie that the Amiga F-19 mission selection code is
flawed.  (Namely, that only a few missions are available in any theatre).
The programmers in the UK say that as you get better, your selection
of missions increases.  It seems like US MicroSoft customer support is trying
to get the UK MicroSoft people to take another look at their code.

sanders@chopin.udel.edu (Robert M Sanders) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb25.114301.1@ssdvx2.mdcbbs.com> lyons@ssdvx2.mdcbbs.com writes:

>Help!  I'm have problems saving my pilots in F-19.  The Amiga tech supplement
>says if disk A is write enabled, your pilots will be automatically saved on to
>that disk.  But the next time I boot the game up, my pilot is gone and the
>original roster is back.  Has anyone had a similar problem?  How do you save
>the pilots?  Thanx.
>
>                                               -Glenn

The directions I received said to use a pre-formatted disk, NOT the original.
After I boot and correctly id the presented aircraft, it asks for my roster
disk, or the original.  I put in the formatted disk, and viola!  The first
time I did it I was presented with the original roster, but I now have several
pilots that I fly.  After I finish a mission it asks me to replace  disk B with
either the original or the roster disk.  After I do this, it updates the roster
and then I can fly again, or do something else.  Hope this helps.

                        			Rob

thad@public.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) (02/26/91)

In article <1991Feb25.114301.1@ssdvx2.mdcbbs.com> lyons@ssdvx2.mdcbbs.com writes:

>Help!  I'm have problems saving my pilots in F-19.  The Amiga tech supplement
>says if disk A is write enabled, your pilots will be automatically saved on to
>that disk.  But the next time I boot the game up, my pilot is gone and the
>original roster is back.  Has anyone had a similar problem?  How do you save
>the pilots?  Thanx.

You ARE kidding, aren't you?  The instructions I read with my copy of F-19
clearly stated a third disk, supplied by the "user", is used to save all the
pilot/mission data.

My disk A and disk B are carefully-write-PROTECTED for safety.

My only comment is that it doesn't seem to make any difference whether the
3rd (pilot) disk was AmigaDOS-formatted or not (judging from the sounds made
while updating that disk).

Too bad F-19 hasn't been updated in the past two years ... I'd like the
opportunity to lob some "Rockeye"s or Durandals onto a certain "bunker"
in Baghdad!  :-)   One of my cousins is presently flying the EF-111A out
of a site NW of Iraq and the F-19 gives me a chance to re-live vicariously
some of his tales.

Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]

lyons@ssdvx2.mdcbbs.com (02/26/91)

Thad Floryan writes:

>You ARE kidding, aren't you?  The instructions I read with my copy of F-19
>clearly stated a third disk, supplied by the "user", is used to save all the
>pilot/mission data.
>
>My disk A and disk B are carefully-write-PROTECTED for safety.

It appears that you have a different version of the game and not the same
one I bought.  My game came with three disks (A,B,C) and the included Amiga
technical supplement clearly says a save game disk is no longer needed and that
disk A can now be used to save pilots on.  I also tried using a blank formatted
disk but this didn't work.  I have a feeling this mod wasn't checked out fully
and I should of ignored the tech supplement.  I'll give MicroProse a call today.

                                          -Glenn

kevin@modcomp.uucp (Kevin Smith) (02/27/91)

lyons@ssdvx2.mdcbbs.com writes:

>Help!  I'm have problems saving my pilots in F-19.  The Amiga tech supplement
>says if disk A is write enabled, your pilots will be automatically saved on to
>that disk.  But the next time I boot the game up, my pilot is gone and the
>original roster is back.  Has anyone had a similar problem?  How do you save
>the pilots?  Thanx.

When you boot it up it should ask you for a ROSTER disk eventually or it
will use the one that came with it.  POP in a scratch disk when it asks for
this so you can keep your pilots on that disk.  When you complete a mission
and have been debriefed etc, there should be point at which it asks you for
the ROSTER disk again, swap in your scratch disk and that pilot will be saved.
If you don't do this it will use the ROSTER off of the game disk.

Kevin Smith uunet!modcomp!glsdev!kevin

FAA102@psuvm.psu.edu (02/28/91)

Here we go. I was wondering when someone else would have this problem besides
me. My version of F-19 came with three disks. It says to put the roster disk in
, but it doesn,t seem to use it. It loads for less than half a second. Then it
gives me the original roster. Every thing is fine until I switch piolts or turn
off the game. It acts as though I was using a write-protected disk, and not a
blank formatted disk. I called Microprose, and they told me that they are
having problems with the one meg Amigas. I asked them if it would work without
the A501 and they said yes. However, it was just as bad as before. Microprose
said they will call me back and tell me what I should do. I don't have the
number with me, so I will post it tomorrow.

jpn@castle.ed.ac.uk (J Neil) (02/28/91)

In article <11480003@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM> elaine@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Elaine May) writes:
>There is a rumor on GEnie that the Amiga F-19 mission selection code is
>flawed.  (Namely, that only a few missions are available in any theatre).
>The programmers in the UK say that as you get better, your selection
>of missions increases.  It seems like US MicroSoft customer support is trying
>to get the UK MicroSoft people to take another look at their code.

I would agree that the mission selection software is pretty poor. I
have been flying F19 since it came out in October (in the UK) and
have only come across a disappointingly small number of mission
permutations. No sign of secret airbases in the mountains of Iran.
No submarine pens to be bombed. Nothing. Bugger all.

I am at Lt-Col level, and have outstripped the scores of all
the names on the programmed duty roster, won the CMOH, etc, etc,
but there is no sign of more imaginative missions coming along.

I wrote to Microprose in November querying the mission select
aspect of the simulator, but I have heard nothing. In my opinion,
this flaw really spoils a good simulator.

I would like to hear from anyone with differing experience.

Paul

lyons@ssdvx2.mdcbbs.com (03/04/91)

The phone number for MicroHose customer service is 301-771-1151.  They gave
me the same crap- "we'll look into it and call you back."  After going thru
three copies, I solved my problem by returning it and demanding my money
back.  After getting hosed on Gunship and F-19, I'll never buy anything
from MicroProse again.
                                              -Glenn

thad@btr.BTR.COM (Thaddeus P. Floryan) (03/11/91)

In article <8777@castle.ed.ac.uk> jpn@castle.ed.ac.uk (J Neil) writes:
>[...]
>No submarine pens to be bombed. Nothing. Bugger all.
>[...]

The sub pens can be found in the North Sea area as I recall.

As far as secret airbases, etc. I believe one has to be operating with all
game parameters set to the MAX (e.g. expert opponents, impossible landings,
etc. :-)

Thad Floryan [ thad@btr.com (OR) {decwrl, mips, fernwood}!btr!thad ]