[comp.sys.amiga.games] Warlords from SSG

rhunt@uncmed.med.unc.edu (03/02/91)

Has anyone else gotten hooked on Warlords yet?  I picked this up at the
store 3 days ago and haven't gotten a good night's sleep since.

It is a fantasy wargame from SSG, makers of Reach for the Stars.  Each
player can play one of 8 different countries and up to 8 can play.  The
computer can take the other positions and play them at 4 different skill
levels.  There are the standard fantasy military units (infantry, cavalry,
wolf riders, dwarves, elves, giants) and the leaders are heroes who are
pretty powerful themselves.  One of a leader's best abilities is to raise
the other
units in the game (dragons, demons, devils, mages, undead etc.).  New
heros will offer to join your side as the game progresses, and bring these
allies with them.

The combat is fairly simple, but can be influenced by a lot of factors.
If there are any leaders, flying creatures, or special units present, the
combat value of the army increases.  Terrain is considered as well as the
nationality of the army in that terrain.  For instance, elves fight best
in the forest and dwarves fight best in the hills.  There are naval units
and one country fights best on the coast and on ships.

It does have a few minor problems, mostly with control of the units.  For
instance, when a leader rides a dragon, the stack moves at the speed of
the leader, not the dragon.  You also either have to get one unit of a
stack or the whole stack, so it is a pain to grab half a stack one unit at
a time and move them one hex, and get all the ones you want that way.
Most of the problems I have encountered are minor however and don't
really detract from the game, once you learn to expect them and work
around them.

It installs on a hard drive and multitasks, if you have enough memory.
They suggest having 1 meg free when the game is started.  It is also not
copy protect _in any way_.  It doesn't even have a lookup method, which is
pleasent for a change.  It is nice to see a company that is brave enough
to do that.  After about 24-30 hours of play, I haven't seen a crash,
guru, or hangup.  It seems very solid.

Don't bother if you are looking for flashy graphics and awesome sound.
After the OK startup screen, the graphics and sound are functional, not
awe inspiring.  This is a wargame in the classic sense of the word.  There
are no arcade sequences and no blood and gore on the screen.  But if you
are looking for a good multiplayer, strategy wargame a couple of notches
of complexity above Risk, you may want to check it out.  Suggested retail
is about $50 US.

Rick Hunt

gilmore@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Neil Gilmore) (03/02/91)

In article <2807@beguine.UUCP>, rhunt@uncmed.med.unc.edu writes...

>Has anyone else gotten hooked on Warlords yet?  I picked this up at the
>store 3 days ago and haven't gotten a good night's sleep since.
Yes, I have it. Wargaming friends have always liked SSG's games, which
was a factor in my decision to buy.

>It does have a few minor problems, mostly with control of the units.  For
>instance, when a leader rides a dragon, the stack moves at the speed of
>the leader, not the dragon.  You also either have to get one unit of a
>stack or the whole stack, so it is a pain to grab half a stack one unit at
>a time and move them one hex, and get all the ones you want that way.
>Most of the problems I have encountered are minor however and don't
>really detract from the game, once you learn to expect them and work
>around them.
Also annoying is that a navy is always on top of the stack. This means
that to have armies disembark you ALWAYS have to click at least twice,
slowly.

>It installs on a hard drive and multitasks, if you have enough memory.
>They suggest having 1 meg free when the game is started.  It is also not
>copy protect _in any way_.  It doesn't even have a lookup method, which is
>pleasent for a change.  It is nice to see a company that is brave enough
>to do that.  After about 24-30 hours of play, I haven't seen a crash,
>guru, or hangup.  It seems very solid.
I have occasionally been able to lock up the cursor so that it won't
select armies, but I can get out of it by just trying to click
everything in sight, including the menus. Also, the production gadget in
the center bar sometimes gets confused. Also the indicator on the right
side of the screen (which I surmise is a sprite) remains on screen if
you switch screens. Not serious flaws.

What is a serious flaw is that (like most games of its type, most
notably [Interstel's] Empire) is that the computer opponents are
dumb,dumb,dumb. After getting used to the controls on an easy game, I
played the Sirians with all computer opponents on Warlord level. It took
only a short while longer to win, and I can attribute most of that to
the fact that a couple of the others started with dragons, so that I
couldn't concentrate my production. I've never seen the computer produce
a navy (even for the Selentines). I also notice that when playing with
itself, the computer first tries to get artifacts, not grab any
territory, but when it played me, I never found a single artifact in its
posession.

It would probably be a lot of fun to play amogst humans, though.
(Mumbles about sending game files email, etc.)

| Kitakaze Tatsu Raito	Neil Gilmore     internet:gilmore@macc.wisc.edu |
| Jararvellir,          MACC, UW-Madison bitnet: gilmore@wiscmac3       |
| Middle Kingdom        Madison, Wi      DoD #00000064 (no ints here)   |

nad@tegra.COM (Nancy Durgin) (03/05/91)

In article <1991Mar2.075356.10035@macc.wisc.edu> gilmore@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Neil Gilmore) writes:
>In article <2807@beguine.UUCP>, rhunt@uncmed.med.unc.edu writes...
>
>>Has anyone else gotten hooked on Warlords yet?  I picked this up at the
>>store 3 days ago and haven't gotten a good night's sleep since.
>Yes, I have it. Wargaming friends have always liked SSG's games, which
>was a factor in my decision to buy.

I have 3 SSG games -- REACH FOR THE STARS, GOLD OF THE AMERICAS, and
WARLORDS.  All are excellent, with no copy protection and all HD
installable (I think -- never installed the first 2 on a HD...).  Of those,
REACH FOR THE STARS is probably the weakest, in terms of playability and
bugginess, but it is also the first, and they have only gotten better.
This company does *good* Amiga ports!

>>It does have a few minor problems, mostly with control of the units.  For
>>instance, when a leader rides a dragon, the stack moves at the speed of
>>the leader, not the dragon.  You also either have to get one unit of a
>>stack or the whole stack, so it is a pain to grab half a stack one unit at
>>a time and move them one hex, and get all the ones you want that way.
>>Most of the problems I have encountered are minor however and don't
>>really detract from the game, once you learn to expect them and work
>>around them.
>Also annoying is that a navy is always on top of the stack. This means
>that to have armies disembark you ALWAYS have to click at least twice,
>slowly.

Yeah, I found manipulating the navies a bit annoying... But overall, didn't
have any serious problems with stack manipulations.

>>It installs on a hard drive and multitasks, if you have enough memory.
>>They suggest having 1 meg free when the game is started.  It is also not
>>copy protect _in any way_.  It doesn't even have a lookup method, which is
>>pleasent for a change.  It is nice to see a company that is brave enough
>>to do that.  After about 24-30 hours of play, I haven't seen a crash,
>>guru, or hangup.  It seems very solid.
>I have occasionally been able to lock up the cursor so that it won't
>select armies, but I can get out of it by just trying to click
>everything in sight, including the menus. Also, the production gadget in
>the center bar sometimes gets confused. Also the indicator on the right
>side of the screen (which I surmise is a sprite) remains on screen if
>you switch screens. Not serious flaws.

Hmm..  I played a *lot* and didn't notice any of these problems.  One
session, it had some kind of glitch that caused recurring instances where
it would make me fight battles against phantom opponents (squares where
something had been located, but had died in an attack against me, for
instance...).  It was just the one game though, and I've never seen it
again.  I haven't seen *any* bugs or glitches other than that one time.
(Running on an A3000 under 2.0X).

>What is a serious flaw is that (like most games of its type, most
>notably [Interstel's] Empire) is that the computer opponents are
>dumb,dumb,dumb. After getting used to the controls on an easy game, I
>played the Sirians with all computer opponents on Warlord level. It took
>only a short while longer to win, and I can attribute most of that to
>the fact that a couple of the others started with dragons, so that I
>couldn't concentrate my production. I've never seen the computer produce
>a navy (even for the Selentines). I also notice that when playing with
>itself, the computer first tries to get artifacts, not grab any
>territory, but when it played me, I never found a single artifact in its
>posession.

I agree on this.  It said that playing the Sirians against the Warlords
would be the toughest game, so after my introductory game (where I played
the Elves), I tried that.  Won it on the first try.  Kind of disappointing.
And it seems that although the computer collects the artifacts, you can
never get them from his dead heroes.  I've been meaning to check if
it is different when the opponent is human.  I assume it must be, otherwise
the manual is in error, or there is a bug in the program.

>It would probably be a lot of fun to play amogst humans, though.
>(Mumbles about sending game files email, etc.)

Yeah, I'd really like to try this against another human..

	Nancy

Nancy Durgin          | (Usual disclaimers | Tegra-Varityper, Inc.
uunet!tegra!nad       | apply...)          | Billerica, Massachusetts

eric@pyramid.pyramid.com (Eric Bergan) (03/06/91)

In article <2807@beguine.UUCP> rhunt@uncmed.med.unc.edu () writes:
>Has anyone else gotten hooked on Warlords yet?  I picked this up at the
>store 3 days ago and haven't gotten a good night's sleep since.

	Yes, and it is very good. When you think you understand the
tactics, just play the part of another race and see everything change...

>are no arcade sequences and no blood and gore on the screen.

	Tried turning down a surrender yet?

								eric
--

					eric
					...!pyramid!eric

gilmore@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Neil Gilmore) (03/09/91)

In article <2130@joker.tegra.COM>, nad@tegra.COM (Nancy Durgin) writes...

>In article <1991Mar2.075356.10035@macc.wisc.edu> gilmore@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Neil Gilmore) writes:
>>In article <2807@beguine.UUCP>, rhunt@uncmed.med.unc.edu writes...

>Hmm..  I played a *lot* and didn't notice any of these problems.  One
>session, it had some kind of glitch that caused recurring instances where
>it would make me fight battles against phantom opponents (squares where
>something had been located, but had died in an attack against me, for
>instance...).  It was just the one game though, and I've never seen it
>again.  I haven't seen *any* bugs or glitches other than that one time.
>(Running on an A3000 under 2.0X).
Well, let me explai further. I have experienced no problems which in any
way prevented me from playing the game. The problems I have run into
were all trivial.

>I agree on this.  It said that playing the Sirians against the Warlords
>would be the toughest game, so after my introductory game (where I played
>the Elves), I tried that.  Won it on the first try.  Kind of disappointing.
>And it seems that although the computer collects the artifacts, you can
>never get them from his dead heroes.  I've been meaning to check if
>it is different when the opponent is human.  I assume it must be, otherwise
>the manual is in error, or there is a bug in the program.
Generally, what happens is that the hero eventually dies trying to get
another artifact. Then the ones he had disappear. Since the heroes with
artifacts seem to die off, isn't this a bad strategy for the computer to
use?

nad@tegra.COM (Nancy Durgin) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar9.060833.13483@macc.wisc.edu> gilmore@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Neil Gilmore) writes:
>In article <2130@joker.tegra.COM>, nad@tegra.COM (Nancy Durgin) writes...
>
>>In article <1991Mar2.075356.10035@macc.wisc.edu> gilmore@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Neil Gilmore) writes:
>
>>I agree on this.  It said that playing the Sirians against the Warlords
>>would be the toughest game, so after my introductory game (where I played
>>the Elves), I tried that.  Won it on the first try.  Kind of disappointing.
>>And it seems that although the computer collects the artifacts, you can
>>never get them from his dead heroes.  I've been meaning to check if
>>it is different when the opponent is human.  I assume it must be, otherwise
>>the manual is in error, or there is a bug in the program.
>Generally, what happens is that the hero eventually dies trying to get
>another artifact. Then the ones he had disappear. Since the heroes with
>artifacts seem to die off, isn't this a bad strategy for the computer to
>use?

I have had my hero die when trying to get another artifact, and it always
left a little sack of goodies at the site, that I could come along with
another hero and pick up.  I have *never* seen a sack of goodies left by a
dead computer hero...