[comp.sys.amiga.games] DM1: Acquiring Ninja Levels

johnu@syma.sussex.ac.uk (John E Upham) (02/20/91)

I have now completed level 12 (with some difficulty !) and am half-way
through level 7 to get the firestaff. Seeing as life is easy at the
moment and bearing in mind the requirments for Chaos I decided
to get at least one master everything.  I had two << master fighters
anyway and four << master wizards but nor priests and ninjas. i went
back down to level 4 and have going bacwards and forwards about 10 times
killing worms, screamers and rock monsters. I have now got one
<< master priest and 3 experts but only two expert ninjas. I have ninjad
around 30 more screamers to bits and 20 or so worms but i cant get
my expert ninja to be a master. Any ideas ? First I throw stuff at them
and then punch and kick. My characters have mostly got around > 500
health points amd you can sit in a room of screamers, go out and get a
burger and your characters are fully healthy !

Another frustrating thing is this "Shithead needs more practise with
this priest spell" thing in spite of many mana points (> 180).

Lastly i had so much food for later use the game was slowoing noticebly
on the level where the food was. IM using an Atari 520 and this might
explain it.  I normally use an Amiga 1000 and the game plays much better
on the Amiga (so what's news I hear you saying). Anyway enough rambling
for one day.

So: How do I get my master ninja please ????

              John Upham, (Chemical Physics Ph.D)

              University of Sussex, Brighton, UK.

              Email: kapn1%cluster.susx.ac.uk@uk.ac (BITnet)
                     kapn1@uk.ac.susx.cluster       (Janet)
                     johnu%syma.susx.ac.uk@uk.ac    (BITnet)
                     johnu@uk.ac.susx.syma          (Janet)
              Tel:   +44 273 680500 (eve)
              Tel:   +44 273 678332 (day)
              Fax:   +44 273 671966

  "I've counted them all out and I've counted them all back"
   Murray Walker (?) commentating on the restart at F1 WC, Spa, 1990

Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Stewart Mckinnon) (02/23/91)

RE: GETTING 'MASTER' NINJA......Well, this might be tough! What I
would do, is go back up to LEVEL 6 (one above the FIRESTAFF LEVEL)
and go to where you encountered all the SKELETONS. There should be
shields and swords heaped to the roof! Just get a big pile of 'em,
and stand there flinging the stuff rapid fire to the other side of
the hall or room. Then go over to where it is neatly piled and fling
it back! Make sure the character that you want to advance in NINJA
is highlighted in YELLOW at the top of your screen! That character
will be the one that is using the hand.....

--
Stewart Mckinnon - via FidoNet node 1:221/171
UUCP    : watmath!xenitec!zswamp!178.0!Stewart.Mckinnon

Carlo.Borreo@wolf.fidonet.sublink.org (Carlo Borreo) (03/02/91)

To acquire ninja levels, I suggest you to make the character the active one
(click on its name, it becames yellow), get a boulder, and start throwing it
against a door. Keep a STAMINA potion ready...

        Greetings
         Carlo Borreo

--
 WolfNet BBS Pisa (Italy) Tel. +39-50-589050 300-14.4K Baud Matrix 2:332/602.0
 Carlo Borreo - via FidoNet node 2:332/602

Bob_BobR_Retelle@cup.portal.com (03/04/91)

Another good way to attain Ninja levels is to throw stuff out in front
of the party as you move through the tunnels...

I make one of my Champions who needs the Ninja experience the Leader, then
throw anything handy forward down the tunnel...  rocks, food, burnt out
torches, old clothes, unneeded weapons... whatever..

When you come to an item again, just pick it up and throw it again...

Maneuvering around corners can be a little tricky sometimes.. you'll learn
which side of the tunnel to throw down as you approach a corner..

This not only gives you Ninja experience as you keep moving along, but
it's also a very good way of "carrying" more food than your Champions can
physically carry..  if you kill a LOT of Screamers, you probably won't
be able to carry all the slices... but if you throw it all out in front
of you, you'll keep it moving along with you.

All of this does slow down your progress a bit, but the extra Health and
attribute points you get from added Ninja levels are worth it..  if one
Champion gets tired, just select another Leader and keep on throwing..

(There's one interesting, and somewhat satisfying side benefit to this
throwing business that occurrs once in a while..  I was pitching a
slew of stuff down the long corridor on Level 5 towards the stairs down
to the Riddle Room when a pair of big green monsters came strolling around
the corner... right into a stream of Screamer Slices, old boots, burnt out
torches and more...  killed them where they stood, and I never even got
near them..!    I loved it..!  :)

BobR

jake@diku.dk (Jacob Bay Hansen) (03/08/91)

Hi Guys.

I find that the easiest way to gain Ninja levels is to
take a rope and climb down about 4 million times. Just
keep your YA potions ready, cause it drains your stamina
heavily!!! This goes for CSB too..

--Jake/Jacob Bay Hansen

-	Jake@freja.diku.dk	-	Just me and my amiga	-

abosse@cs.ruu.nl (Arjan Bosse) (03/12/91)

In <1991Mar8.104934.2273@odin.diku.dk> jake@diku.dk (Jacob Bay Hansen) writes:

>Hi Guys.
>
>I find that the easiest way to gain Ninja levels is to
>take a rope and climb down about 4 million times. Just
>keep your YA potions ready, cause it drains your stamina
>heavily!!! This goes for CSB too..

Rope climbing the easiest way ?? The easiest way is an automated one!
In DM the easiest way to gain Ninja levels is continuous punching
into a ghost (cause it will not die like other creatures). In CSB the
easiest way to gain Ninja levels is punching in the air. Both methods
require less effort when using rapid fire. You only have to watch your
water, food and Stamina levels (Strength too if you are not that strong).
The automated way to gain priest and fighter levels is analog.
Find screamers and (instead of punch) use war-cry.
Only wizard levels are hand-work. Fireballs seem to be effective.
Find a water fountain without creatures around and fireball your mana
empty. Sleep and fireball again, etc. When food is up, drink water,
because only water is required to survive. This prevents you from
collecting and consuming all your food unnecessarily. Happy upgrading.
Arjan Bosse.