[comp.sys.amiga.games] Anyone else having trouble loading "The Immortal"?

bryce@cbmvax.commodore.com (Bryce Nesbitt) (03/12/91)

My copy of "The Immortal" is very tempermental.  It will load on
just a few machines, occasionally.  Usually the game sits and grids
the disk in a regular pattern (off, quick step, grind, grind, repeat).
Has anyone else had trouble with this disk?
--
|\_/|  . "ACK!, NAK!, EOT!, SOH!"  "Lawyers: America's untapped export market."
{X o} .     Bryce Nesbitt, Operating Systems Group, Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

ia0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Indu Tara Agarwal) (03/12/91)

YUP!  Ahuh, Ahuh!  I purchased the game from an Electronics Boutique over
Christmas, brought it home, and it did the exact thing you describe!  I
assumed that the disk surface had been mangled or that the loader program
was hosed and returned it.  Fortunately, I was able to return the game.
Unfortunately, they never got another copy in.

Just how widespread is this problem?  --let me know what kind of response
                                        you get. I'm afraid to buy another
                                        copy before I know....

rmk@rmkhome.UUCP (Rick Kelly) (03/14/91)

In article <4br6ab600WB_M1fWAu@andrew.cmu.edu> ia0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Indu Tara Agarwal) writes:

>YUP!  Ahuh, Ahuh!  I purchased the game from an Electronics Boutique over
>Christmas, brought it home, and it did the exact thing you describe!  I
>assumed that the disk surface had been mangled or that the loader program
>was hosed and returned it.  Fortunately, I was able to return the game.
>Unfortunately, they never got another copy in.

>Just how widespread is this problem?  --let me know what kind of response
>                                        you get. I'm afraid to buy another
>                                        copy before I know....

I had the same problem.  I went through two copies from Electronic Boutique
that didn't work.  Actually, the first copy worked once, and then never worked
again.

Rick Kelly	rmk@rmkhome.UUCP	frog!rmkhome!rmk	rmk@frog.UUCP

jcc@frog.UUCP (Jim Chagnon) (03/14/91)

In article <4br6ab600WB_M1fWAu@andrew.cmu.edu> ia0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Indu Tara Agarwal) asks about Immortal loading probs:

>Just how widespread is this problem?  --let me know what kind of response

  Apparently very wide spread. A friend of mine had this same problem with
 his 500, returned the game for another copy, same problem. We tried it on
 my 1000, same problem. He returned it for something else. Don't buy it.

jcc

shaun@iris.mincom.oz.au (Shaun Hayes) (03/14/91)

In article <4br6ab600WB_M1fWAu@andrew.cmu.edu> ia0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Indu Tara Agarwal) writes:

 >YUP!  Ahuh, Ahuh!  I purchased the game from an Electronics Boutique over
 >Christmas, brought it home, and it did the exact thing you describe!  I
 >assumed that the disk surface had been mangled or that the loader program
 >was hosed and returned it.  Fortunately, I was able to return the game.
 >Unfortunately, they never got another copy in.
 >
 >Just how widespread is this problem?  --let me know what kind of response
 >                                        you get. I'm afraid to buy another
 >                                        copy before I know....

Well... I'm not quite sure at what point the grinding you both refer to
is occurring, but this game _does_ take a very long time to load (usually
about 3 to 5 minutes - I go off to prepare myself :-), and during that
time grinds and crunches the disk something chronic.

I also have a problem that if I start the game straight on level 2 (with
a password), I'll inevitably get a guru - a real bummer (the wait is
almost as bad as restarting Shadow of the Beast :-/).  The same also
_sometimes_ happens for starting at level 3.  Anyone else?

--
|-----   And shrill and high they        |         ^\ /^                     |
|\ = /    answered to his voice.         |      \ / O O \ /      T I G E R S |

bneal@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Brian Neal) (03/15/91)

From article <24460@frog.UUCP>, by jcc@frog.UUCP (Jim Chagnon):
> In article <4br6ab600WB_M1fWAu@andrew.cmu.edu> ia0i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Indu Tara Agarwal) asks about Immortal loading probs:
>

>>Just how widespread is this problem?  --let me know what kind of response
>
>   Apparently very wide spread. A friend of mine had this same problem with
>  his 500, returned the game for another copy, same problem. We tried it on
>  my 1000, same problem. He returned it for something else. Don't buy it.
>
> jcc

	I thought I had a bum copy, all it did was grind df0:, then
grind df1:, repeatedly.  However, it does load, but it takes a _VERY_
long time, apparently because it pauses to spin the (empty!) external drive.
Whoever wrote the loading scheme must be a complete moron.

--
         Brian Neal           ||  ...the bible teaches us that elephants
  bneal@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu  ||  _cannot_ talk (Luke 15:23).