[comp.sys.amiga.games] Captive - devscapes and ending

bratt@csli.Stanford.EDU (Harry Bratt) (03/14/91)

I had just gotten to the 10th planet on Captive (the space station)
and thought I was just about done....  I found the person to rescue,
I thought, and then....  I found out there's a mission #2!  Does
anybody know how many missions there are in this game?  I was amazed
it kept going.  When does it end???

Also, does anybody have any good info on the dev-scapes?
I've experimented some with all of them but can't figure many of them
out.  The list is:

Basic: ANTI-GRAV
   II: SHIELD (is this useful? it doesn't seem to help much)
  III: FIRE-SHIELD
   IV: GREASER (what the _heck_ does this do????)
    V: POWER-SAPPER (is this as useless as a "darken" spell in Dungeon
       Master??)
   VI: FIXER (it seems clear what this should do - but I can't see that it's
       doing anything at all)
  VII: RE-CHARGER (very useful)
Super: DEFLECTOR (very very useful, but at least equally expensive to repair)

And finally, along similar lines, does anybody know what exactly the
VISON-CORRECTOR (optic VII) does?

 -Harry Bratt
 -bratt@csli.stanford.edu

dac@prolix.pub.uu.oz.au (Andrew Clayton) (03/14/91)

In article <18218@csli.Stanford.EDU>, Harry Bratt writes:

> I had just gotten to the 10th planet on Captive (the space station)
> and thought I was just about done....  I found the person to rescue,
> I thought, and then....  I found out there's a mission #2!  Does
> anybody know how many missions there are in this game?  I was amazed
> it kept going.  When does it end???

5900 'missions' later. It would take about 70 years, if you took a week to
play each 'mission' of ten 'dungeons'. Good luck. :-)

Dac
--
David Andrew Clayton. // _l _  _ dac@prolix.pub.uu.oz.au    *or*|I post.I am.
Canberra, Australia.\X/ (_](_l(_ ccadfa.cc.adfa.oz.au!prolix!dac@munnari.oz

mjg@cs.ed.ac.uk (Martin Good) (03/15/91)

In article <18218@csli.Stanford.EDU> bratt@csli.Stanford.EDU (Harry Bratt) writes:

>I had just gotten to the 10th planet on Captive (the space station)
>and thought I was just about done....  I found the person to rescue,
>I thought, and then....  I found out there's a mission #2!  Does
>anybody know how many missions there are in this game?  I was amazed
>it kept going.  When does it end???

According to rumours, there's supposed to be 1000's of levels (but I'm fairly
sure that this includes all the vacant planets.)
>Also, does anybody have any good info on the dev-scapes?
>I've experimented some with all of them but can't figure many of them
>out.  The list is:
>
>Basic: ANTI-GRAV
Very useful as a weapon substite :0)

>   II: SHIELD (is this useful? it doesn't seem to help much)
Certainly appears more useful than a fire shield. It does lessen damage, but
not for lasers, spray guns, etc...

>  III: FIRE-SHIELD
>   IV: GREASER (what the _heck_ does this do????)
>    V: POWER-SAPPER (is this as useless as a "darken" spell in Dungeon
>       Master??)
>   VI: FIXER (it seems clear what this should do - but I can't see that it's
>       doing anything at all)
The fixer will only repair armour up to 10%. This is very useful when you've
just lost a leg in water accident. Usually I have one robot permanently holding
the fixer, and if anything gets damaged below 10% you just swap armour.
Also, unlike the deflector, the fixer drains power from the robot, so there's
no need to fix it.

>  VII: RE-CHARGER (very useful)
This is a bit of a waste of money once you can afford a full level battery...
If you've done the Space Station, then you should be on your second pile of
money by now :]

>Super: DEFLECTOR (very very useful, but at least equally expensive to repair)
These are absolutely essential to be able to find the first shops in the
Space Station. I only had one at that point and regretted it later, since for
days I was walking around with only three robots...

>And finally, along similar lines, does anybody know what exactly the
>VISON-CORRECTOR (optic VII) does?
Beats me.
The only optics I use extensively is the mapper, radar and compass (especially
for outside use).
Once you figure out about the right button, level changers and how to use
markers, this becomes one of the best attachments money can buy.

Any how, on to my questions...

First of all has anyone killed the Captive/blown up the station?
And is it possible to set the explosives, and then save to the Captive?

This might be where I went wrong, because I've explored everywhere I can think
of on Base 2 of the second mission, and I'm still short of about three
clipboards. The most important two locks are near the start, round about where
the Ed-209 is walking beyond the fire.
I've even tried knocking on all the walls, to see if there are hidden switches.
The only thing this shows up is that you can throw switches from all four
sides of a pillar (very useful, but it still doesn't open up anywhere I haven't
been)

Has anyone got past this, or is this one of the most disappointing endings
ever ? (even thought it was the second one)

Martin

"There's nothing quite like urinating out in the open air." - Agent Cooper, T.P.