[comp.sys.amiga.games] ZORK / COLOSSAL CAVE

wdao@girtab.usc.edu (Walter Dao) (03/19/91)

On ABDF20 there are the games ADVENTURE (colossal cave) and DUNGEON (ZORK1-3)
I have played for a few minutes adventure, but is it possible to save ?
I did try. but when I tried to restore the game (save then restore), it told
me that It was going to take 30 minutes and that I was not a "WIZARD" therefore
it aborted ...
so what is the deal ?

				Walter

cs326ag@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren J. Rittle) (03/19/91)

In article <15929@chaph.usc.edu> wdao@girtab.usc.edu (Walter Dao) writes:

>On ABDF20 there are the games ADVENTURE (colossal cave) and DUNGEON (ZORK1-3)
>I have played for a few minutes adventure, but is it possible to save ?
>I did try. but when I tried to restore the game (save then restore), it told
>me that It was going to take 30 minutes and that I was not a "WIZARD" therefore
>it aborted ...
>so what is the deal ?
>
>				Walter

The deal is that the mainframe version of Adventure had cheating
protection built into the game.  I decided that it may be a good
idea to keep the game the same.  Saving does work, but as stated
you must wait 30 minutes before restarting (this prevents you
from copying the file and restarting right away).  See in adventure,
a saved game is delete upon restarting...  And in the UNIX
version, only root can change the system time and mess with
the Adventure save file.

Of course, on the Amiga the whole point is moot, as anyone can
copy files and change the system time, etc.  Adventure is
just trying to completely receate the mainframe orignal and
the game is better if you don't cheat...

Loren J. Rittle
Porter of Adventure and Dungeon
--
``NewTek stated that the Toaster  *would*  *not*  be made to directly support
  the Mac, at this point Sculley stormed out of the booth...'' --- A scene at