[comp.sys.amiga.games] Overlord, how is it?

rhunt@uncmed.med.unc.edu (03/13/91)

Has anyone had a chance to give Overlord a good going over yet?  I keep
thinking about picking it up, but am getting tired of getting my hopes up,
only to have them dashed (to the tune of $45) by a bad game.  It is a space
exploration/conquest type game from Virgin Mastertronic.  How does it
compare to Reach for the Stars or Imperium?

Rick Hunt

mitsue@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Mitsue Osanami) (03/14/91)

In article <2944@beguine.UUCP> rhunt@uncmed.med.unc.edu () writes:
>Has anyone had a chance to give Overlord a good going over yet?  I keep
>thinking about picking it up, but am getting tired of getting my hopes up,
>only to have them dashed (to the tune of $45) by a bad game.  It is a space
>exploration/conquest type game from Virgin Mastertronic.  How does it
>compare to Reach for the Stars or Imperium?
>
>Rick Hunt

It SUCKS.  I was very dissapointed.
It has pretty graphics, I admit that, but the game play is awful.
RFTS is a much better strategy game.
The game takes place in only one solar system, with you at the bottom and
your enemy at the top.  You have "slots" to fill with spaceships, 6 slots on the planet, 6 in orbit, etc.  The maps suck. Everything you can build is called
a starship, including mines and ag-centers.

Save your money, beg for RFTS-II.  Sombody write one, please??
Even better, Empire II.

jasona@qaab.cadence.com (Jason Ansley; x6262) (03/15/91)

|> It has pretty graphics, I admit that, but the game play is awful.
|> RFTS is a much better strategy game.
|> The game takes place in only one solar system, with you at the bottom and
|> your enemy at the top.  You have "slots" to fill with spaceships, 6 slots on the planet, 6 in orbit, etc.  The maps suck. Everything you can build is called
|> a starship, including mines and ag-centers.
|>
|> Save your money, beg for RFTS-II.  Sombody write one, please??
|> Even better, Empire II.

I didn't play it extensively, but I think these comments are a little
over stated.  The graphics are not "pretty", they are AWESOME.  VERY
WELL DONE.  The interface is full of great little animations and
excellent sound fx.  There are some really great touches.

As far as game play goes... I can't really comment that much, having played
for only about 3 hours.  It took a little while to find stuff, but I
liked it.  If you're looking for a real mastermind strategy game, this
might not be it.  The scope is kind of limited (as noted above), but that doesn't
mean it's easy to win.  It's hard to say... Anyone else have an opinion?

-Jason

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@yalevm.ycc.yale.edu (03/15/91)

> It SUCKS.  I was very dissapointed.
> It has pretty graphics, I admit that, but the game play is awful.
> RFTS is a much better strategy game.
> Save your money, beg for RFTS-II.  Sombody write one, please??
> Even better, Empire II.

Uh, RFTS for the Amiga is version 3...a BIG improvement over version 2 and
an even bigger one over version 1. Count yer blessings!
                                        --Rick Wrigley
                                        fhwri@conncoll.bitnet
                                ~~~---second-hand smoke is THEFT---~~~

john@pcad.UUCP (John Grow) (03/16/91)

In article <10182@uwm.edu>, mitsue@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Mitsue Osanami) writes:
> It SUCKS.  I was very dissapointed.
> It has pretty graphics, I admit that, but the game play is awful.
> RFTS is a much better strategy game.
> The game takes place in only one solar system, with you at the bottom and
> your enemy at the top.  You have "slots" to fill with spaceships, 6 slots on the planet, 6 in orbit, etc.  The maps suck. Everything you can build is called
> a starship, including mines and ag-centers.
>
> Save your money, beg for RFTS-II.  Sombody write one, please??
> Even better, Empire II.

I beg to differ.  I bought it a couple of weeks ago and thought it was
an excellent game.  The graphics and sound are done extremely well and
contribute a lot to the game.  The interface is probably one of the
best, well thought out, game interfaces I've seen yet.  Switching
between screens is instantaneous and there is no disk activity until
you are at the end of a game (It might take advantage of extra memory,
but I don't know).  It takes an hour or so to get used to the
mechanics of playing the game, but the instructions step you through a
practice game very clearly.

It is not a general exploration/expansion/conquest game.  You choose
one of 4 systems to conquer which have 9 to 32 planets.  Your opponent
for the larger systems is supposed to be smarter and harder to beat.
Battles are limited to ground troops which have different levels of
armor and weapons.  There is no actual ship-to-ship combat.  The game is
also real time.  You can pause it, but are unable to view anything except
the main screen without unpausing it.

The only additional feature I would have liked would be to the ability
to play against another person on another Amiga.

While the combat/strategy is fairly simple, it is an awesome game.  I
would recommend it to anyone looking for a space conquest game without
extremely complicated game play.  It was well worth the $35 dollars I
paid for it.

-- John

--
John Grow                   |   uucp:    (uunet!pcad!john)
Personal CAD Systems/CADAM  |

fhwri%CONNCOLL.BITNET@yalevm.ycc.yale.edu (03/19/91)

A friend who bought OVERLORD told me that the first scenario was child's
play, and the second one ate him for lunch...

                                                --Rick Wrigley
                                                fhwri@conncoll.bitnet
                                ~~~second-hand smoke is THEFT~~~

manes@vger.nsu.edu ((Mark D. Manes), Norfolk State University) (03/20/91)

In article <453@pcad.UUCP>, john@pcad.UUCP (John Grow) writes:
> In article <10182@uwm.edu>, mitsue@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Mitsue Osanami) writes:
>> It SUCKS.  I was very dissapointed.

How _wrong_ you are!

>> It has pretty graphics, I admit that, but the game play is awful.
>> RFTS is a much better strategy game.
>> The game takes place in only one solar system, with you at the bottom and
>> your enemy at the top.  You have "slots" to fill with spaceships, 6 slots on the planet, 6 in orbit, etc.  The maps suck. Everything you can build is called
>> a starship, including mines and ag-centers.
>>
>> Save your money, beg for RFTS-II.  Sombody write one, please??
>> Even better, Empire II.
>
> I beg to differ.  I bought it a couple of weeks ago and thought it was
> an excellent game.  The graphics and sound are done extremely well and
> contribute a lot to the game.  The interface is probably one of the
> best, well thought out, game interfaces I've seen yet.  Switching
> between screens is instantaneous and there is no disk activity until
> you are at the end of a game (It might take advantage of extra memory,
> but I don't know).  It takes an hour or so to get used to the
> mechanics of playing the game, but the instructions step you through a
> practice game very clearly.

I love this game, it runs GREAT under 2.0 as well!

> -- John
>
> --
> John Grow                   |   uucp:    (uunet!pcad!john)
> Personal CAD Systems/CADAM  |
> 1 Technology Park Drive     |
> Westford, MA 01886          |

 -mark=