[comp.sys.amiga.games] Mayhem 1 help, request Tricky 26 help

farren@sat.com (Michael J. Farren) (03/16/91)

tjf@lanl.gov writes:
>> To achive this use [...] the arrow key to select icons while paused
>How do I do that?  I can't seem to select an icon while paused!

You can't move the selector box with the mouse, but you _can_ with the
arrow keys (or the 'X' and 'Z' keys on the alpha keyboard).

While we're on the subject of hints, does anyone have a good hint for the
Tricky level that looks like this:

Lemmings       _
come out      / \-+
    here    +-| |
         \    | |
   _      | -------         _
  / \-+   V    |           / \-+
+-| |          |         +-| |
  | |          |           | |
--------------------------------  , where the fire hydrant things are
rotating knives, you've got XX lemmings, and have to save 100%?  I think
it's level 26, but am not sure.  Any help appreciated.
| Michael J. Farren                                      farren@sat.com |
|                        He's moody, but he's cute.                     |

skwood@acsu.buffalo.edu (Scott K Wood) (03/16/91)

farren@sat.com (Michael J. Farren) writes:

>While we're on the subject of hints, does anyone have a good hint for the
>Tricky level that looks like this:

>Lemmings       _
>come out      / \-+
>    here    +-| |
>         \    | |
>   _      | -------         _
>  / \-+   V    |           / \-+
>+-| |          |         +-| |
>  | |          |           | |
>--------------------------------  , where the fire hydrant things are
>rotating knives, you've got XX lemmings, and have to save 100%?  I think
>it's level 26, but am not sure.  Any help appreciated.

     This IS a tough board!  If you notice what you are given, I believe
you have quite a few bridges.  The way I finally got through this board
certainly isn't easy and is very hard to duplicate, but I'll describe it
anyway.
     When the lemmings start to come out, start making as many as possible
bridge builders.  If you do this right, you will end up with a bridge that
that is thick.   When the lemmings cross the bridge and then turn around
to walk past the bridge they will get trapped between the bridge and the
middle post if the bridge is thick enough.
     Once one of the first few lemmings reaches the pole in the middle, make
him a basher.  If everything goes right, no lemmings will die.  This will take
a while to get right!
     If anyone else has figured out a better way than this, I would be
interested in hearing about it.

                                        Scott
                                BITNET : v092mgp5@ubvms.bitnet
                              INTERNET : v092mgp5@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu
                                         skwood@acsu.buffalo.edu

ejt@cs.ed.ac.uk (Edward Toner) (03/18/91)

In article <65652@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> skwood@acsu.buffalo.edu (Scott K Wood) writes:
<farren@sat.com (Michael J. Farren) writes:
<
<<Lemmings       _
<<come out      / \-+
<<    here    +-| |
<<         \    | |
<<   _      | -------         _
<<  / \-+   V    |           / \-+
<<+-| |          |         +-| |
<<  | |          |           | |
[...]

I don't know if this qualifies as better, but it is different :-) Actually I
think your way is better but I didn't think of it.
I made the second lemming to get to the middle pole a basher. The first and a
few others will be turned back before the basher digs through. The ones who get
turned back - build bridges over the rotating knives up to the wall on the left.
This is tricky as they all seem to run out of bricks at the same time. Needs
practice but it did work!

Ed.
--
JANET: ejt@uk.ac.ed.lfcs  ARPA: ejt%lfcs.ed.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

"Given that God is infinite and the Universe is infinite, would you like
a toasted muffin" - The Toaster, Red Dwarf IV

mt87692@cs.tut.fi (MIT) (03/18/91)

In article <65652@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> skwood@acsu.buffalo.edu (Scott K Wood) writes:

> farren@sat.com (Michael J. Farren) writes:

> >While we're on the subject of hints, does anyone have a good hint for the
> >Tricky level that looks like this:

> >Lemmings       _
> >come out      / \-+
> >    here    +-| |
> >         \    | |
> >   _      | -------         _
> >  / \-+   V    |           / \-+
> >+-| |          |         +-| |
> >  | |          |           | |
> >--------------------------------  , where the fire hydrant things are
> >rotating knives, you've got XX lemmings, and have to save 100%?  I think
> >it's level 26, but am not sure.  Any help appreciated.

>      This IS a tough board!  If you notice what you are given, I believe
> you have quite a few bridges.  The way I finally got through this board
> certainly isn't easy and is very hard to duplicate, but I'll describe it
> anyway.
>      When the lemmings start to come out, start making as many as possible
> bridge builders.  If you do this right, you will end up with a bridge that
> that is thick.   When the lemmings cross the bridge and then turn around
> to walk past the bridge they will get trapped between the bridge and the
> middle post if the bridge is thick enough.
>      Once one of the first few lemmings reaches the pole in the middle, make
> him a basher.  If everything goes right, no lemmings will die.  This will take
> a while to get right!
>      If anyone else has figured out a better way than this, I would be
> interested in hearing about it.

 HAHAHAHAAA must say I can't stop laughing!

 Just keep making all the lemmings bashers when they reach the pillar! When
there are about 5 of they can bash throught the pillar without any of them
turning around.
 BTW how come Farren (if this is the same Farren) plays lemmings after he has
flamed this game to death?

 MIT

--
Bubble Bobble

tjf@lanl.gov (Tom J Farish) (03/18/91)

In article <1991Mar15.230957.2644@sat.com>, farren@sat.com (Michael J. Farren) writes:
> tjf@lanl.gov writes:
> >> To achive this use [...] the arrow key to select icons while paused
> >How do I do that?  I can't seem to select an icon while paused!
>
> You can't move the selector box with the mouse, but you _can_ with the
> arrow keys (or the 'X' and 'Z' keys on the alpha keyboard).

Thanks for the info!  The x and z keys work, but my right arrow key
does not!  I thought all the arrow keys were not working as I tried
to select right on pause from climber.  Now I think I have a broken
key.

I'm still working on Tricky #26!

.

rwkay@cs.hw.ac.uk (R.W.Kay) (03/18/91)

--

-|>> >         \    | |
|>> >+-| |          |         +-| |
|>> >  | |          |           | |

For  what its worth the way I do this level is to make the first lemming
a basher when he hits the middle pillar, then make one of the other
lemmings a blocker as soon as he hits the ground from falling from the
exit. Make the last lemming a builder while he is under the middle
pillar, this will turn him around (playing tip) then when he gets close
to the blocker, make him a miner to release the blocker (if a blocker
falls, ie if you take the ground away from underneath him, he becomes a
walker again), make the miner a builder again and build over the
spinning top until he hits the left hand wall when he will turn around
and head for the exit. Voila 100%

Russell

Russell Kay (rwkay@uk.ac.hw.cs) |  Programmer of  PC Menace	) all
				 		  PC Ballistix	) released
						  PC Lemmings 	)by Psygnosis

frank@morpheus.UUCP (Frank McPherson) (03/18/91)

--
You seem to have missed the point.  I'm not aware of anyone who's been
flaming Lemmings as a game.  We were mostly flaming the lack of

-- Frank McPherson		    INTERNET: emcphers@fox.cs.vt.edu --

farren@sat.com (Michael J. Farren) (03/20/91)

frank@morpheus.UUCP writes:
>mt87692@cs.tut.fi (MIT) writes:
>> BTW how come Farren (if this is the same Farren) plays lemmings after he has
>>flamed this game to death?
>--
>You seem to have missed the point.

He HAS missed the point.  I'm not flaming Lemmings, the game - it's the best
damn game I've come across in years.  Absolutely addictive, absolutely fun.
I'm also one of those people who WILL reboot his machine to play a game if
I absolutely have to - but I don't like it.  Never will.  Especially since
Lemmings, at least, has no reason to make me do it, period.

I'm going to make this even clearer.  Over the next week, I'll be posting
my analysis of Lemmings, the program, and the reasons why I believe that
it would be entirely possible to make a fully multitasking, hard drive usable,
totally Amiga-friendly Lemmings.  It's going to be detailed, it's going to
be long (about 4000 words so far, and 60% done), it's going to be posted
over the course of a couple of days.  Read that, and then I'll argue about
whether or not I'm wrong.  Look for it!

| Michael J. Farren                                      farren@sat.com |
|                        He's moody, but he's cute.                     |

joden@pernnet.UUCP (Jon Oden) (03/20/91)

Umm. A friend and I completed all 30 tricky and are on level 13 of taxing
(stuck!!!) he has the codes for the tricky levels.. I can get it for you, or I
could give you a small hint on how we did it....
gimme a day or two...