[comp.sys.amiga.games] DM HELP!!!

parker@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James Parker) (08/28/90)

I am at the level after the rat/scorpion level (10 maybe) and have come
up against the 'teleporting' squares (ZOOOOM! is on the wall) that
simply spin you around in a circle, and I can't figure out how to exit
from them.   I can't seem to simply step off.  In fact, the only way I
can go lands me in a teleporter that takes me back to the beginning of
this level.

I've been here for about a week and have tried everything I can think
of, with no luck.  Am I missing some magic item?  Has anyone else had
this problem?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

J Parker

kovach@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Pete Kovach) (08/29/90)

James Parker asks -

>I am at the level after the rat/scorpion level (10 maybe) and have
>come up against the 'teleporting' squares (ZOOOOM! is on the wall) that
>simply spin you around in a circle, and I can't figure out how to exit
>from them.   I can't seem to simply step off.  In fact, the only way I
>can go lands me in a teleporter that takes me back to the beginning of
>this level.

If you look at the hall it does this (from memory so distance is incorrect)

 teleporter> --------
     ________|      | <-- food, bomb
    |o  o  o  o  o o|
    |o |---------| o|
    |  |         |  |
    |o |         | o|
  --   -----------  ----
 o  o  o  o  o  o  o --> out to rest of level
  ----------------------

OK - So the dumb thing keeps making you go into the telporter or else
by the food, right? Dang teleporter keeps blipping you back to the
entrance?

Last night we were getting quite frustrated with this, but it IS just a
matter of timing - You want to step before you get teleported around the
corner. Now considering your speed, you need to start this maneuver before
you would expect. Just play with your timing - sooner or later you will
make it (maybe after several treks back from the entrance due to
teleportation).
Peter Kovach

Sig - We don't need no stinking sig!

cseaman@sequent.UUCP (Chris "The Bartman" Seaman) (08/30/90)

kovach@SRC.Honeywell.COM (Pete Kovach) writes:
<
< James Parker asks -
<
< < [ How do I get past the Zoooom room? ]
<
< teleporter> ------ <-- food, bomb
<      _______|    |__
<     |o  o  o  o  o o|
<     |o |---------| o|
<     |  |         |  |
<     |o |         | o|
<   --   -----------  ----
<      o  o  o  o  o o --> out to rest of level
<   ----------------------
                 --> X <--

<
< Last night we were getting quite frustrated with this, but it IS just a
< matter of timing - You want to step before you get teleported around the
< corner. Now considering your speed, you need to start this maneuver before
< you would expect. Just play with your timing - sooner or later you will
< make it (maybe after several treks back from the entrance due to
< teleportation).
< Peter Kovach

There is a small trick that makes the Zoooom room a little easier.  As
you are moving (rather quickly) around the squares, you will actually
spend two 'cycles' on the corner squares: one cycle to get onto the square,
and one to turn to the next square.  This means that, if you can
notice when you reach the corner marked 'X', press the right arrow key
(to do a sidestep).  The reaction time will account for the time it
takes the square to turn you 90 degrees.  This should leave you where
you want to be.

Happy zooooming!

--
Chris (Insert phrase here) Seaman |        ///
cseaman@sequent <or>              |       ///            Only AMIGA

scavanag@gara.une.oz.au (LIGHTCHILD) (08/30/90)

there is an easier way.just run into the wall all the time and you can't
miss a stop.

hclausen@adspdk.CBMNET (Henrik Clausen) (09/01/90)

>In article <868@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> parker@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James Parker) writes:
>
>I am at the level after the rat/scorpion level (10 maybe) and have come
>up against the 'teleporting' squares (ZOOOOM! is on the wall) that
>simply spin you around in a circle, and I can't figure out how to exit
>from them.   I can't seem to simply step off.

   Look around as you Zoom. And try again.

                                            -Henrik

--
|            Henrik Clausen, Graffiti Data (Fido: 2:230/22.33)           |
|           ...{pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!cbmehq!adspdk!hclausen           |

davel@sequent.UUCP (Dave Lennert) (09/03/90)

In article <89086@srcsip.UUCP> you write:

>James Parker asks -
>
>>I am at the level after the rat/scorpion level (10 maybe) and have
>>come up against the 'teleporting' squares (ZOOOOM! is on the wall) that
>>simply spin you around in a circle, and I can't figure out how to exit
>>from them.   ...
>
>If you look at the hall it does this (from memory so distance is incorrect)
>
> teleporter> --------
>     ________|      | <-- food, bomb
>    |o  o  o  o  o o|
>    |o |---------| o|
>    |  |         |  |
>    |o |         | o|
>  --   -----------  ----
> o  o  o  o  o  o  o --> out to rest of level
>  ----------------------

Amusingly, the way I figured this out was to ride the "ZOOM" while
videotaping the action through my genlock.  I turned around to watch
all the walls and things going by.  Then I played it back in slow
motion, saw what was there, and counted squares.

Isn't the Amiga versatile?  :-)

    Dave Lennert                {uunet,sun,tektronix}!sequent!davel
    Sequent Computer Systems    sequent!davel@uunet.UU.NET

lothar@milton.u.washington.edu (Donald Sheythe) (09/04/90)

In article <41746@sequent.UUCP> davel@crg2.UUCP (Dave Lennert) writes:

>Amusingly, the way I figured this out was to ride the "ZOOM" while
>videotaping the action through my genlock.  I turned around to watch
>all the walls and things going by.  Then I played it back in slow
>motion, saw what was there, and counted squares.
>
>Isn't the Amiga versatile?  :-)
>
>    Dave Lennert                {uunet,sun,tektronix}!sequent!davel
>    Sequent Computer Systems    sequent!davel@uunet.UU.NET

This reminds me of how I finished Shadow of the Beast.

Once you get to the castle, a game can take 20-30 minutes which can
really try your patience because you want to practice the later
levels, not the levels you already mastered.

So I videotaped my games, then played back the tape and made a map of the
really difficult areas (like past the castle).  This allowed me to
know what was coming and to get ready.

If I hadn't done this, I would've spent another couple of weeks on
Shadow (killer game!).

Don Sheythe
dsheythe@milton.u.washington.edu

pyubg@warwick.ac.uk (Phil Kime) (03/21/91)

Can anybody help me with DM. I don't know what level I'm on (does the staff
level count? does the picture gallery level count? ) It's around 10 anyway.
I've run out of keys and can't get any further. I'm just past the bit where
you have to snake left and right to get through a maze bit (if you don't
you end up at the bottom of the stairs where you came in) I think there's a
message in the wall about a 'twisted sense of humour' or something. Anyway,
after this there's sort of a loop (talking maps) with a door at the top. It's
this door I can't get through. There's still two unopened doors a couple of
levels up ( I think the've just got freeze cubes behind them) and I can't
open these either (these are the sliding ones that have gold filigree on them)
Somebody told me that they found a key in one of the pipes that stick out
of the wall....is this true??? Which one???

HELP!

                                Phil K.