[comp.sys.amiga.games] Lemmings help, please.

v125lqbx@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Brian T McColpin) (03/20/91)

I bet you're all getting tired of these requests.

Anyway, I have been playing the demo version from Amiga Format, (which
means I don't know if it's the same one as on ab20).  ANyway, it only
has 3 levels, the first two of which I can now comfortable breeze through,
which brings me to:

	D O O M !

it says on the wall, it's the metallic-pig's-head-for-an-exit level (the
demo calls it level 3).  It has, from left to right, a suspending chain,
an flat space, a brick wall with blue arrows pointing (flowing, actually)
to the left, another flat space, a firepit, a flat space, then the exit.

 8                                8
 8  E                             8
 8     |<<<<<|              n n   8  The "E" is the place they enter from
 8_____|<<<<<|_____,,,,____(   )__8

 ^       ^          ^        ^    ^
chain   wall     firepit   exit  chain

So, I can manage to get my 1 umbrella faller down the far side of the
brick wall, on the assumption that he can tunnel in the diection of the
blue arrows, thus freeing the rest.  But how do I get him to turn around
when he reaches the far side?  The little cuss just walks right into the
firepit, and I can't figure out how to turn him back...

Or is this the wrong approach entirely?

I dunno, I may buy this game if the demo doesn't frustrate me to death...

Thanks.

mabac@lysator.liu.se (Mattias Backen) (03/20/91)

v125lqbx@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Brian T McColpin) writes:

>So, I can manage to get my 1 umbrella faller down the far side of the
>brick wall, on the assumption that he can tunnel in the diection of the
>blue arrows, thus freeing the rest.  But how do I get him to turn around
>when he reaches the far side?  The little cuss just walks right into the
>firepit, and I can't figure out how to turn him back...

You simply make him a blocker before he reaches the firepit and then
commands another lemming to the other side, like you did with first one.
That second lemming will turn back to the brick wall!

bconnor@hpuxa.acs.ohio-state.edu (Beverly B. Connor) (03/21/91)

In article <540@lysator.liu.se> mabac@lysator.liu.se (Mattias Backen) writes:
>v125lqbx@ubvmsd.cc.buffalo.edu (Brian T McColpin) writes:
>
>>So, I can manage to get my 1 umbrella faller down the far side of the
>>brick wall, on the assumption that he can tunnel in the diection of the
>>blue arrows, thus freeing the rest.  But how do I get him to turn around
>>when he reaches the far side?  The little cuss just walks right into the
>>firepit, and I can't figure out how to turn him back...
>
>You simply make him a blocker before he reaches the firepit and then
>commands another lemming to the other side, like you did with first one.
>That second lemming will turn back to the brick wall!

The way I finished this level was to send an Athlete over the squar-
ish thing, make him a blocker a little to the right, send another
athlete, make him mine down to the left, and just fall on out. Then
I took a climber to the top, and made him a down-digger a little bit off
the left edge. When he gets down there, I make him a bomber, and his
explosion makes a path from the left side to the right. If it's a little
off I use a couple bashers to take out the remaining sliver(s). They
actually can bash againsts the flow thing if they are facing the other way.
They kind of back-hand the wall. This might be a kind of weird way to do
it, but hey, it works... I wonder how everyone else did the last one in the demo
version. Mine might me kinda strange...
bconnor@hpuxa.acs.ohio-state.edu

-Casey

*  /\   /\  /\  | /~_  /\  __ | /\ /\ /\        The proud and the few.      *
* /~~\ /  \/  \ | \_/ /~~\    | \/ \/ \/   bconnor@hpuxa.acs.ohio-state.edu *