[comp.sys.amiga.games] Help Me With DM!

dubs_cif@troi.cc.rochester.edu (/* Jeremy DuBois */) (03/19/91)

How exactly do you kill the rock monsters and survive?  I always manage
  to lose several party members by the first group and the rest by
  the second group.

OR... Is there some easy way to reincarnate them witout tromping back
  up to level 1?

Thanks very much.

--
/ Jeremy DuBois \
| dubs_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu | Univeristy of Rochester, New York |

Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Stewart Mckinnon) (03/19/91)

RE: DEALING WITH ROCK MONSTERS.....A good way to get rid of these
buggers is to lead them to a button door or gate, and close the door
or gate on them, and at the same time, bash away with your best weapons.
Actually, the best thing you can do is get your best WIZARD up a few
levels so he can cast powerful fireballs. So, alternate fireball spells
and bash away while you close the doors on 'em, and DON'T get trapped
in a cul-de-sac or a corner!

You will have to run up to the top level to re-incarnate your characters,
until you get down a couple more levels. The Altars of Rebirth are
scattered throughout the dungeon, and take note of the ones you find.
I hope you'll write in with questions and problems - I very much enjoyed
playing Dungeon Master 7 or 8 times! Good luck!

--
Stewart Mckinnon - via FidoNet node 1:221/171
UUCP    : watmath!xenitec!zswamp!178.0!Stewart.Mckinnon

beust@avahi.inria.fr (Cedric BEUST) (03/20/91)

In article <12815@ur-cc.UUCP>, dubs_cif@troi.cc.rochester.edu (/* Jeremy DuBois */) writes:

> How exactly do you kill the rock monsters and survive?  I always manage
>   to lose several party members by the first group and the rest by
>   the second group.

  The solution I often used in front of rock monsters was (and still is with CSB) to cast poison clouds. Since they are very slow, they stay a long time in the cloud and they indeed snuff it after a while...

| Cedric BEUST                                     University of Nice    |
| INET: beust@mimosa.unice.fr                      $whoami               |
| UUCP: beust%arkonis@mimosa.unice.fr              god (personal alias)  |
|                   -- "To be, or not to be...",                         |
|                      That is illogical, captain!                       |
|                                     -- Spock                           |

ricks@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Rick Silverstein) (03/21/91)

What's the best way to kill the Spell Vines?
The ones near the end of level 12 are tough!

Rick

pondscum@zooid (Lima Bone) (03/21/91)

dubs_cif@troi.cc.rochester.edu (/* Jeremy DuBois */) writes:

> How exactly do you kill the rock monsters and survive?  I always manage
>   to lose several party members by the first group and the rest by
>   the second group.
>
> OR... Is there some easy way to reincarnate them witout tromping back
>   up to level 1?
>
> Thanks very much.
>

> --
> / Jeremy DuBois \
> | dubs_cif@uhura.cc.rochester.edu | Univeristy of Rochester, New York |

Why...fireball their a$$es to the ground. If you try to hack them to
pieces...you will pay...also..there are about 3 or 4 I THINK reincarnation
'chamber' spread throughout the game...so if you die...well, go search!
Moohahhaha...

beust@avahi.inria.fr (Cedric BEUST) (03/21/91)

In article <7069.27E6FA8E@zswamp.fidonet.org> Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Stewart Mckinnon) writes:
>RE: DEALING WITH ROCK MONSTERS.....A good way to get rid of these
>buggers is to lead them to a button door or gate, and close the door
>or gate on them, and at the same time, bash away with your best weapons.

  Personally, I prefer to cast poison clouds at them. They require much
less mana than fireballs and are as efficient as them on monster rocks, since
those are very slow.

| Cedric BEUST                                     University of Nice    |
| INET: beust@mimosa.unice.fr                      $whoami               |
| UUCP: beust%arkonis@llaor.unice.fr               god (personal alias)  |
|                   -- "To be, or not to be...",                         |
|                      That is illogical, captain!                       |
|                                     -- Spock                           |

boyd@nu.cs.fsu.edu (Mickey Boyd) (03/23/91)

In article <7161@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM>, ricks@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Rick Silverstein) writes:
>What's the best way to kill the Spell Vines?
>The ones near the end of level 12 are tough!
>
>Rick

Strong "weaken spiritual being" spells (Zo something), coupled with vigorous
swishing with the vorpal blades did it for me.  Also, run like hell, attacking
only when you have a corner to dive into.

--
    ---------------------------------+-------------------------------------
             Mickey R. Boyd          |  "It's amazing how much growing up

bgrave1@ub.d.umn.edu (Brian Grave) (03/23/91)

>Why...fireball their a$$es to the ground. If you try to hack them to
>pieces...you will pay...also..there are about 3 or 4 I THINK reincarnation
>'chamber' spread throughout the game...so if you die...well, go search!
>Moohahhaha...

I actually take a Rapier or one of them thar vorpal blades (any wepaon with a
"jab" option) and run up and <jab - jab - jab> until they're dead.  The jab
recovers really fast and it does the same amount of damage as melee or
thrust.  I get away with only being hit 2 or 3 times and I can heal from that
easy enough.

--
Brian Grave					bgrave@ub.d.umn.edu

"I got a postcard from my friend George, it was a satellite picture of the
entire earth.  On the back he wrote 'Wish you were here.'"
				- Steven Wright

Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Stewart Mckinnon) (03/23/91)

RE: POISON CLOUDS ARE BETTER.....You may be right about using up MANA
and this method being quicker....but don't forget - you are trying
to build up your characters, and fighting skills build slower than
some others. So, poison clouds may get you past them quicker, but
your skills haven't been boosted by much. By the time you get down
to the lower levels, you will be glad you built your fighting skills
up back at the start! For example, spells have very little or no effect
on the DETH KNIGHTS on Level 12. One KNIGHT in particular - you could
cast fireballs or poison clouds till hell froze over and he'd still
be there - only KU skills will help you here! So, better to bash now
than die later!

--
Stewart Mckinnon - via FidoNet node 1:221/171
UUCP    : watmath!xenitec!zswamp!178.0!Stewart.Mckinnon
Internet: Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org

Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Stewart Mckinnon) (03/23/91)

RE: KILLING 'SPELL VINES'....I think you may be referring to the AIR
ELEMENTALS....as with ALL the ELEMENTAL CLASS of monsters, these can
be dealt with using any one, or a combination, of the following: USING
'WEAKEN NON-MATERIAL BEINGS' spell. USING ANY MAGIC ITEM WITH A 'DISPELL'

OPTION (usually a staff). USING THE VORPAL BLADES (you should have
2 of these by now) Nothing else works very effectively. Keep your
weakest characters to the back. One fireball from these nasties can
do in your weak characters with one shot! Hope that helps!

--
Stewart Mckinnon - via FidoNet node 1:221/171
UUCP    : watmath!xenitec!zswamp!178.0!Stewart.Mckinnon
Internet: Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org

Stewart.Mckinnon@p0.f178.n221.z1.fidonet.org (Stewart Mckinnon) (03/23/91)

RE: USING 'JAB' OPTION WITH A SWORD.....Hmmmm. Don't agree. Some
creatures (like ROCK PILES) react the same to any swordplay. However,
try 'jabbing' a DETH KNIGHT and see what it gets you. MELEE or THRUST
will give you higher hit points per blow. You could be right about
the recovery time 'though. However, there are more effective weapons
to use. Namely the AXE. It will deliver more damage than swords. I
still say, trap 'em in the doorways and bash 'em. They will retreat
behind the door to give you a chance to heal up. meanwhile, you're
getting your fighting skills up a level or so!

--

cs170703644@vger.nsu.edu (03/24/91)

In article <7161@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM>, ricks@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Rick Silverstein) writes:
> What's the best way to kill the Spell Vines?
> The ones near the end of level 12 are tough!
>
> Rick

    'Spell vines"????? What's a spell vine?

Jean