[comp.sys.amiga.games] HELP looking for a 'SUPER' joystick

mark@masscomp.westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) (03/23/91)

Well I just broke the last $10 joystick I every intend to buy. I would
like to replace it with something that might last over a year. What
I would like is a joystick that has variable rate auto fire that is easily
disableable and two separate fire buttons (not two buttons that do the same
thing). I prefer the tabletop joysticks over the hand held. Any body know
if there is a joystick that meets these criteria? What about the Gravis
Mousestick? Any ideas or input?
%~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~%
%       `       '                Mark Thompson                          %
%  --==* RADIANT *==--           mark@westford.ccur.com                 %
%       ' Image `                ...!{decvax,uunet}!masscomp!mark       %
%      Productions               (508)392-2480  (603)424-1829           %
%                                                                       %

opus@cbnewsc.att.com (robin.g.kim) (03/25/91)

In article <61847@masscomp.westford.ccur.com>, mark@masscomp.westford.ccur.com (Mark Thompson) writes:
> Well I just broke the last $10 joystick I every intend to buy. I would
> like to replace it with something that might last over a year. What
> I would like is a joystick that has variable rate auto fire that is easily
> disableable and two separate fire buttons (not two buttons that do the same
> thing). I prefer the tabletop joysticks over the hand held. Any body know
> if there is a joystick that meets these criteria? What about the Gravis
> Mousestick? Any ideas or input?

I posted a while ago asking people what they thought of the Gravis Mousestick.
The responses were generally favorable, so I went ahead and bought it.  Since
Marks asks about it, I thought I'd post a not-so-short description of it.

Modes:

digital joystick		(standard Amiga joystick mode; I don't believe
				 two different buttons are supported, but I'm
				 not sure)
mouse - autocentering		(absolute position of handle corresponds to
				 absolute position of mouse pointer on screen)
mouse - vectoring		(position of handle determines speed and
				 direction of pointer MOVEMENT, not position)
mouse - combined		(autocentering for a small area of handle
				 movement, vectoring if moved beyond that area)

Features:

wide base			(don't have to hold onto the base)
attached box with LCD display	(for programming the mousestick)
adjustable spring tension	(from no centering to strong centering, but
				 feels funny when in joystick mode because
				 there is so much free play)
three buttons			(one on top of handle, two on left side of
				 base; button functions can be assigned using
				 hardware switches or can be programmed)
rapid-fire buttons		(any button, adjustable from 0.1-5.0 seconds)
parameters			(there are many parameters that can be set
				 to tune the operation of the mousestick, from
				 adjusting sensitivity to configuring for
				 different screen sizes)
3 or 4 saved settings		(modes and parameters can be saved even when
				 powered down without using batteries)

Games:

Falcon				(autocentering mode works great; although some
				 older versions don't work correctly, upgrades
				 are available)
Battle Squadron			(vectoring mode works very well, and allows
				 reliable activation of Nova bombs with second
				 button; rapid-fire is nice!)
Their Finest Hour		(vectoring mode works pretty well, but it takes
				 some getting used to, because the response is
				 non-linear/exponential; mouse is better,
				 though not as realistic feeling)
Ferrari Formula One		(autocentering mode works only if you restrict
				 the horizontal screen size, otherwise it
				 screws up)
Starglider II			(vectoring mode is difficult to use; mouse
				 is much better)

Overall:

It's a good joystick.  I bought it mostly because I love playing Falcon and
I wanted to get a rapid-fire joystick.  For games requiring a digital joystick
that do not benefit from rapid-fire buttons, I prefer a normal joystick, such
as a Wico bat-handle, because its tactile response is better; the Mousestick
feels a little sloppy, but perhaps I'll get used to it.

The Mousestick is very expensive.  I got mine for $65 from Computability.
The Amiga dealer I normally go to who has pretty good prices had them for $90.
Quite a difference.