[comp.sys.amiga.games] F-16 Combat Pilot

lwallace@javelin.es.com (Raptor) (03/20/91)

perod@ifi.uio.no (Per Christian deg}rd) writes:
>	So do, as Lars suggests, buy this sim. It's a must for flight
>	freaks. And by far the most involvin. Two small gripes though:
>	Sick colors at some objects and short runways. But who cares
>	when the sim is as good as this?

Yes, sounds great.  But I've never heard of a stateside program of this name
(which doesn't mean for a minute that it isn't available:-).

Have any Americans encountered this fine-sounding beast?  Any info on its
release here?
--
Lynn Wallace			   |I am not an official representative of
Evans and Sutherland Computer Corp.| <- E&S.  Or for that matter, unofficial.

carloss@bass.bu.edu (Carlos Smith) (03/21/91)

In article <1991Mar19.203306.21030@javelin.es.com> lwallace@javelin.es.com (Raptor) writes:

>Yes, sounds great.  But I've never heard of a stateside program of this name
>(which doesn't mean for a minute that it isn't available:-).
>
>Have any Americans encountered this fine-sounding beast?  Any info on its
>release here?
>--
>Lynn Wallace			   |I am not an official representative of
>Evans and Sutherland Computer Corp.| <- E&S.  Or for that matter, unofficial.
Salt Lake City, UT 84108	   |Internet: lwallace@javelin.sim.es.com

F16 Combat Pilot is distributed in the US by Electronic Arts. You should still
be able to find it around. Note that it does NOT run on 68020's, etc.

I am a big Falcon fan, but I also like F16 very much. I enjoy Falcon for pure
dogfighting (at the upper difficulty levels for realism), but the weapons and
targeting in F16 seem more realistic. In fact, F16 seems more up-to-date and
realistic than Falcon. F16 is very hard though, but I guess air combat really
is. The instrumentation is really neat, and it is neat the way your hand moves
on the throttle (out the left view) when you change throttle settings.

One thing Falcon has over F16 is the heads-up view, where you are looking out
over the instrument panel with just the HUD visible and LOTS of sky above (the
instruments are not displayed, it is as if you were looking up instead of
straight ahead). This is really cool, and makes dogfighting much more
reasonable, since in a simulation you can't just look around anything that
helps to spot the enemy planes is a big help.

I feel that if you want more realism and technology, and more challenge, get
F16  Combat Pilot. If you want to enjoy close-range dogfighting against an
enemy that flies pretty well, get Falcon  (and its mission disks for more
air-to-ground missions).

Carlos Smith					carloss@bu-pub.bu.edu
		Guest account for 		FASTech Integration Inc.
						(617)890-1776

adin@math.ufl.edu (Adin Burroughs) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar19.203306.21030@javelin.es.com>, lwallace@javelin.es.com (Raptor) writes:
|> Have any Americans encountered this fine-sounding beast?  Any info on its
|> release here?
|> --
|> Lynn Wallace			   |I am not an official representative of
|> Evans and Sutherland Computer Corp.| <- E&S.  Or for that matter, unofficial.
|> Salt Lake City, UT 84108	   |Internet: lwallace@javelin.sim.es.com
|> 			War not make one great! -- Yoda

I have had F-16 combat pilot for some time now....I beleive it has the best play
of any combat flight sim. out there...allowing a person to use combat/wing strategy
along with the usual pilot skills...The enemy gets tougher and tougher if the
"wing commander" sends his pilots out on the wrong missions, the oppsoite happens
if you pick the right type of sorties to fly...

 This is the only combat flight sim. that I have bought...I have used just about
every one available, but this one seems to soar above the rest.

|  .Sig 1.1 under construction.....	U of F, Gainesville, FL	            |
|					adin@math.ufl.edu		    |
|					adb@beach.cis.ufl.edu		    |
|					Iceman@maple%decnet.circa.ufl.edu   |
|	'Tis better to have loved and					    |
|	 lost than to have never loved at all........			    |